Skip to content

Mirror image and fireball

Do you think it's a bug that mirror image protects against fireball?

I know it's been that way since BG started however it doesn't seem right that a decoy image can protect against an area of effect spell.

Comments

• DemivrgvsDemivrgvs Member Posts: 315
    It's not a "bug" imo but rather an oversight from the developers. For the original trilogy we actually fixed that thanks to ToBEx (Spell Revisions has an option for that, and I think SCS does too), but I don't remember off-hand if the EE engine has that ToBEx feature enabled or not. I'll check and let you know.
  • TomarctusTomarctus Member Posts: 49
    Apart from the idea that you and these images constantly switch positions and thus could jump over the blast wave, its seems hard to defend it. I think I tend to agree that it is quite silly that it protects against fireball.
  • DjimmyDjimmy Member Posts: 749
    edited March 2015
    http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/mirrorImage.htm

"Mirror image creates 1d4 images plus one image per three caster levels (maximum eight images total). These figments separate from you and remain in a cluster, each within 5 feet of at least one other figment or you."
    At max rank you have 8 images, each within 5 feet. If all images are in a row (if row is considered "a cluster"), then you have 40 feet distance (including real you).

The range of Fireball spell is 20 feet radius

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/fireball.htm

I don't think it's a bug but it's not the best mechanics either. Definitely, if placed well, the chances to be hit by a fireball should not be 1/8 but should be calculated based on the positions of the images and the center of the fireball. These are many calculations for a single spell and the mechanics behind it will not be implemented easily in "Infinity engine", or at least it's not worth it in my opinion.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Space said:

Do you think it's a bug that mirror image protects against fireball?

I know it's been that way since BG started however it doesn't seem right that a decoy image can protect against an area of effect spell.

EE addressed this. Yes it was a bug.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    @GreenWyvern Don't be sorry! I always enjoy seeing another fan of Pokemon here!
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    elminster said:

EE addressed this. Yes it was a bug.

Notably, only BG1EE has addressed this so far. Testing indicates that BG2EE still has Mirror Image blocking AoE spells.
    Yea I only tested it in BGEE so BG2EE and IWDEE might work differently (which is kind of funny given that BGEE has been the longest without a patch).
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    How odd... I am surprised that one slipped the dev's notice...
    I checked Near Infinity. It looks like its fine in IWDEE as well.
  • SpaceSpace Member Posts: 71
    Mirror image protects against arrows of detonation.
    edited March 2015
    Its something that is coded specifically for each spell/case of damage. So something like a Fire Seed, Dragon's breath or Arrow of Detonation will still bypass it just because that hasn't been accounted for.
  • Max_DamageMax_Damage Member Posts: 48
    edited March 2015
    You definately should make sure this bug is fixed before you play its incredibly irritating. Use spell revisions (BG 2 EE version is not yet ready but is close that is v4) or maaaybe SCS but im not sure if its fixed there.

You can always ask for a closed beta version of spell revisions here
    http://gibberlings3.net/forums/index.php?showforum=153

SCS is available approximately there as well