Skip to content

Ludrug bug?

I met Ludrug and his gnolls and accepted his challenge to a duel. However, even after he started attacking me, his icon never turned red. He was swinging at but I never had an option to attack him; I only got the "speak with" option. This remained true even after he scored a hit on me. I tried going berserk; no change. I finally had Neera hit him with a magic missile, which turned him AND his group red. That combat just gave me the regular experience for fighting them from the very start of the enounter. Is there something I omitted doing, or is this some sort of bug?

Comments

• dockaboomskidockaboomski Member Posts: 440
    Bug. It's happened to me before, too.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    Yes, me too: sometimes he shows as hostile and sometimes he doesn't, so it must be a bug.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    They changed this encounter so that it plays by the rules Ludrug speaks of. The game will select your highest level character and they will step forward on their own. What you need to do is use the selected character to attack Ludrug. He will remain blue so you need to force attack him. If anyone else joins in the duel the gnolls will see that you are cheating and attack you.

Yeah, it isn't very clear but I don't think it is necessarily a bug, unless being unclear is a bug...
    Arghh! That's not "the rules Ludrug speaks of", @Tresset. He says he wants to fight my best warrior, not my highest-level character. My highest-level character might well be a squishy Rogue class, since they level fast, but my best warrior will more likely be one of those guys in front with the heavy armour.
    I thought it was best champion. Or was that Shar-Teel?
    @Tresset - I've just loaded an old save to check, and you're right, Ludrug challenges your "best champion".

Nevertheless, the same argument applies: if he picks my squishy Thief because he's the highest-level (which indeed he does in the save I just loaded), then he's certainly not picking my "best champion". My Thief is very useful, but "champion" is not in his job description. My "best champion" would be the armoured guy with the big sword, even though he's a level lower.
    @Gallowglass Yeah, would be nice if there were a preference for warriors, but I wonder how such a thing would be scripted... Everyone uses a different party setup so it is hard to make such a preference that wouldn't screw something else up I imagine...
  • FrdNwsmFrdNwsm Member Posts: 1,069
    How do you force a melee combat on a character that isn't red? I can target anything with something like a magic missile spell, but not weapons.
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    FrdNwsm said:

How do you force a melee combat on a character that isn't red? I can target anything with something like a magic missile spell, but not weapons.

Click on the equipped weapon and then click on the target.
  • kcwisekcwise Member Posts: 2,287
    Tresset said:

They changed this encounter so that it plays by the rules Ludrug speaks of. The game will select your highest level character and they will step forward on their own. What you need to do is use the selected character to attack Ludrug. He will remain blue so you need to force attack him. If anyone else joins in the duel the gnolls will see that you are cheating and attack you.

That's good information to have, thanks. Honestly, all this time I thought the gnoll was just picking the weakest character to fight since it never seemed to be any of the warriors.
  • FrdNwsmFrdNwsm Member Posts: 1,069
    Indeed; I was able to fight him using this information. Thanks!
    Tresset said:

@Gallowglass Yeah, would be nice if there were a preference for warriors, but I wonder how such a thing would be scripted... Everyone uses a different party setup so it is hard to make such a preference that wouldn't screw something else up I imagine...

Suggestion: pick the current leader, i.e. the guy in the number one party slot. It's not entirely guaranteed to be the "best champion", but it's going to be the more appropriate choice more often than merely picking the guy with the highest level, since most of us put our melee characters up front.
    @Gallowglass Now why didn't I think of that?
    :-)