Skip to content

Evil Party Composition

With the addition of the new evil NPCs (Dorn and Hexxat) in BG2:EE, I'm a bit at a loss as to what I should make the PC. In old-school playthroughs, there was a lack of any evil Rogue or Fighter after Korgan, so I'd typically make the PC a NE Dual-Class Kensai/Rogue and run with Korgan, Edwin, Viconia, and Jaheira just because her Harper Pin or whatever it's called was imba. I'd throw in someone else depending on my mood, and add Sarevok in ToB.

In this game, a party of Dorn, Korgan, Viconia, Edwin, and Hexxat is essentially an ideally "balanced" party...two frontline Fighters, a Cleric, a Wizard, and a Thief. It helps that they're all among the best characters in the game. So what's the "niche" for the PC to fill in this party? I do have a strong fondness for warriors and typically roll one because I like their stronghold best (I carry all the books in the game to the library on the second floor), but 3 frontline warriors seems like a bit of overkill.

Is anyone else running an evil party? What are your opinions on the PC's role in this party?

Comments

• dockaboomskidockaboomski Member Posts: 440
    I would go for a second mage or cleric, so you don't have to rely on one caster. You could also go for a dedicated ranged character, as well.
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    Or an evilly inclined Avenger Druid to add some nice shapeshifts and druid spells into the mix. None of the NPCs can offer that.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    We have Dorn, Korgan, Viconia, Edwin, and Hexxat

So, a blackguard (melee fighting), a berserker (melee fighting), a cleric (divine spells), a mage (arcane spells) and a thief (all thieving abilities)

You're absolutely right that those 5 people are enough to cover all the bases for a successful run. So, actually, you can take any character and take your own preference into consideration.

For example, I like playing thieves: attacks from the shadows, traps and poison. So, I would still take an Assassin in such a party, even with Hexxat. I would concentrate on backstabbing for Charname and all other thieving skills for Hexxat.

I also like druids. I would take any of them, a totemic druid being my most favourite, even while those 5 NPCs are already enough for any run.

Sometimes I like unstoppable dualwielders. So I would take a FMT, make her evil, and enjoy Mislead backstabs.

So, you can basically take anyone. A Dark Moon Monk can be an interesting option to try the class and the kit.

A Sorcerer is of course also an option. You can concentrate on "evil"/necromancery spells for the RP.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    As already stated above, you can take anyone because you've already got all the essentials covered.

You certainly don't need any more front-line power than Dorn and Korgan together, nor any more thieving skills than Hexxat.

However, for maximum power in a purely-Evil party, I reckon what you most need is a little more arcane casting power than Edwin alone (he's a great caster, of course, but even he can still cast only one spell at a time), and similarly it can also be quite helpful to have a little more divine casting power than Viconia alone. Therefore I reckon the optimal powergaming choice is someone who can be a support caster to both Edwin and Viconia: either a half-elf Cleric-Mage or a gnome Cleric-Illusionist.
  • abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307
    edited February 2015
    I had great fun running this party with a NE Blade... she was the ideal compliment to the group really as the secondary arcane caster (especially as her rapid levelling meant she was casting more effective level-dependant spells than Eddie) and by dual-wielding scimitars and with her spins she was a versatile front line warrior.

Add to that the bonuses to Lore (lower than a regular Bard, but still higher than any other class) and the Pickpocketing skill (again, reduced but boostable through potions and eventually effective on its own) and you've got a great and highly versatile Charname.
  • seamus1337seamus1337 Member Posts: 20
    So I ain't got the extra ee chars (but still want an evil party) so I got viconia, edwin, korgan, he aer dalis and my PC who is also a mage. No evil theif so was probs going to take imoen (got minsc filling that slot atm) am I going to miss him when I lose him. Korgan can really take the hits but I'm worried about losing a key front line fighter as hae'r is paper and everyone else can't take any hits...

Help?
  • ElrandirElrandir Member Posts: 1,664
    In regards to the original post, I personally like to take a F/M/T and ditch Hexxat during ToB. By that point the F/M/T has enough thief skill points to be just as skilled as Hexxat, while also being a much better character in general. And I don't mean to spoil things, but there's a better character to get in ToB than Hexxat. Not a thief, but the F/M/T can handle things by that point. Not to mention the F/M/T is more well-rounded than most and makes for an excellent support character since the party is quite balanced already.

I noticed after re-reading the original post that you know the identity of the ToB character, so my vague description is unnecessary. In case someone else doesn't pay enough attention and doesn't know the identity of the character, though, I'll leave my description vague.

As for @seamus1337 , my suggestions would be to take Jan as a neutral aligned thief in place of Imoen, and then replace Haer'Dalis in ToB with the character I mentioned in the above paragraphs. Yes, that'll leave your party rather squishy for a large part of the game, but if you're not playing with good aligned characters then that's the unfortunate fate of an evil mage CHARNAME. Viconia will be a decent tank with the right equipment (giving her a STR boosting item will allow her to wear the better armours and shields), Korgan makes for a great off-tank with his power and equipment, and Edwin, CHARNAME, Jan, and Haer'Dalis can use stoneskin to help with the tanking problem. Over all, you've got several characters who CAN be effective tanks, you just need to use them the right way. I'm not sure how many scrolls of stoneskin are in the game, however, so you'll want to be careful with that. Make sure CHARNAME and Edwin get one first. Then Jan, as I recommend keeping him over Haer'Dalis in ToB. Another option for a neutral aligned party member would be Jaheira, but despite her supposedly neutral alignment, she's far too good a character for my tastes. She would be a useful off-tank, however, what with her decent armour capabilities and useful damage dealing skills.
  • PUFPAFPUFPAF Member Posts: 18
    If you like to play with alignments you can try a kensai/druid dual (true neutral), who will add something unique to your party with both classes.

If you want something really evil and still unique to your party go with assassin or wild mage, both very solid midgamers and fitting the evil role. Do experiment and have fun, as your party covers everything.

If all above are too mainstream, then go with fallen paladin :)
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    I'd go with FM(T).
  • YannirYannir Member Posts: 595
    I'd go with something mixed that has melee or ranged ability if needed. If you are too heavy on magic, you will be screwed with WK lvl 3. There's one particular room that will kill you in seconds if you don't have atleast 3 heavy hitters.

Dualed Ranger- or Berserker/Cleric, a Fighter/Mage, a Blade or F/Any multi.
    @Yannir - I'm not sure which room you mean. There are some tough fights in that level, but I can't think of one which "will kill you in seconds if you don't have at least 3 heavy hitters". In the anti-magic rooms, Edwin is pretty useless and will usually need to dodge and weave to keep out of the way, but anyone except a pureclass Mage should be able to wear adequate armour.
  • MykraMykra Member Posts: 252
    edited March 2015
    Mukuro said:

Is anyone else running an evil party? What are your opinions on the PC's role in this party?

Dragon Disciple Sorcerer would be interesting for the party, especially since it's a Red Dragon Disciple. Plus, you can never have too many Arcane casters. Melee is covered and beyond with Dorn, Korgan, and Hexxat's backstabs, so it would be a good balance to have a third member in the backline, and a second arcane caster.

An Archer type would also fill a good role in the party. Not quite as engaging as playing a caster type, but incredibly lethal and would cover an area none of your NPC's could do as well. If you go the pure Fighter route it would also give you the ability to make a 'float' character, someone who can be either a strong frontline presence with the rest of your group, or hang in the backline as an artillery piece/ the guy who beats the hell out of anyone who goes after your casters.

My last thought would be a Mage/Cleric multi. You have a pure Mage and a pure Cleric in the party, so you can use your spell pools to fill in the gaps and complement them, and vice versa. Show that pansy wingless elf how it's done!
    Post edited by Mykra on

@Yannir - I'm not sure which room you mean. There are some tough fights in that level, but I can't think of one which "will kill you in seconds if you don't have at least 3 heavy hitters". In the anti-magic rooms, Edwin is pretty useless and will usually need to dodge and weave to keep out of the way, but anyone except a pureclass Mage should be able to wear adequate armour.

That really won't help u when there are Cornugons, Salamanders and a Marilith in that anti-magic zone. Your guys have to hit the enemies as well. Cornugons with their bleed attacks are a real bitch. And the demons can use their demonic skills such as fear, confusion, etc. perfectly well since they are not classified as magic. So half your party is running around in panic and you can't even pre-buff since those are removed immediately when you enter the room.

I ran into this brick wall once, the PC being an Invoker. So he and Edwin were pretty much useless. Viconia and Hexxat were pretty good at range, scoring some hits, nothing major though. Dorn and Korgan can hold their own against 1 demon but when either one of them gets attacked by 2, they are done. Especially if they get both cornugons since those bleeds stack intensity, I think.

The room is completely bypassable though, u don't really have to go there. :smiley: That's what I ended up doing, avoiding the room altogether.
    @Yannir - I always clear every room on level 3 of WK, even the two rooms which you don't actually need to enter.

I can't say that I find Cornugons as difficult as you imply, I just rush them and hack them down quickly. However, I don't usually tackle that level of WK until I'm in ToB, so my party is usually pretty high-level by then. (Most of the time, I clear only the first level of WK in SoA.) Perhaps if you're tackling WK earlier, that'd explain why you're finding it tougher.

@Yannir - I always clear every room on level 3 of WK, even the two rooms which you don't actually need to enter.

I can't say that I find Cornugons as difficult as you imply, I just rush them and hack them down quickly. However, I don't usually tackle that level of WK until I'm in ToB, so my party is usually pretty high-level by then. (Most of the time, I clear only the first level of WK in SoA.) Perhaps if you're tackling WK earlier, that'd explain why you're finding it tougher.

Well, I tackled that level in chapter 2 or 3. WK is just too easy to do when you hit ToB. That particular playthrough is entering chapter 7 atm, and I'm on level 4 and I plan to do it before entering ToB. Level 4 is much easier than 3, btw.
    Yannir said:

Well, I tackled that level in chapter 2 or 3. WK is just too easy to do when you hit ToB. That particular playthrough is entering chapter 7 atm, and I'm on level 4 and I plan to do it before entering ToB. Level 4 is much easier than 3, btw.
    Obviously this explains our different perceptions of that encounter!

Yes, of course WK is much easier if you do it late. On the other hand, if you struggle through WK early, then the remaining chapters of SoA become easier than originally intended, because you'll have all that extra XP etc.

Obviously every player is free to make his own choice about when to go there and win a ton of XP and powerful items, but to me it seems most "natural" to tackle most of WK in early ToB because the original developers designed WK as part of the ToB expansion pack, not included in the original design of SoA. Thus my parties usually go briefly to WK in chapter 2 or 3, as a natural part of their exploration of the map (and are "pleasantly surprised to discover" that they can make their inventory management much more convenient by buying a Potion Case and finding an Ammo Belt), but after taking a look at the first level of WK they "realise that it's going to be tough" and therefore "decide to leave it until they have more experience".

If your personal preference is to do things in a different order (and thereby have WK more difficult but the rest of SoA easier), then fair enough, that's up to you. I too have occasionally cleared a lot more of WK whilst I'm still in SoA, but that's not my usual method.