Skip to content

Vampiric Sword

Is there any point whatsoever in getting this weapon? I'd have been better off giving the armor to the Ghost knight?

Comments

• Fiendish_WarriorFiendish_Warrior Member Posts: 309
    edited March 2015
    I've wondered this myself. Back in the way back day (early DW and FF days), there were very few truly useless items. Frequently, there were "tricks" to using them. Take the Healing Staff in Final Fantasy I for example. While useful insofar as saving Cure spells and MP, clearly a bad idea to attack monsters with it. But against a Zombie Class monster? It was lethal and often deadlier than any alternative. But alas, I fear the Vampiric Sword is truly useless. I hope I'm wrong but I've seen nothing indicating otherwise.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    It is really just a useless joke item.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    You can attack your own guys with it to heal them. This however is totally impractical as a healing potion is more useful.
  • FrdNwsmFrdNwsm Member Posts: 1,069
    >>It is really just a useless joke item.<<

Ha. Ha.

We are not amused.
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    I still wonder if there is a secret that allows the curse to be removed.
  • MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    You can sell it for 675gp--that is, if you're more interested in gold than the XP for returning it to the Ghost Knights.

I also remember someone mentioning a while ago that you can give it to Kagain to strike (therefore healing) other party members (since his 20 CON allows him to slowly regenerate HP). Just make sure your cleric has a Remove Curse spell handy afterwards.
  • Spjuv3rnSpjuv3rn Member Posts: 61
    Let Dr. Kagain whack your patient of choice with the sword before traveling to another map and voila you have two fully healed characters.
    That's cute, but, given that he will need a remove curse to get rid of it before the next combat, you may as well have a cleric toss a cure spell ot two on the "patient" right off the bat.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    FrdNwsm said:

We are not amused.

Fair enough, senses of humour vary. But don't blame Beamdog for this one, the Vampiric Sword is original content from the old Bioware days. Personally I found it mildly amusing, but from a powergaming perspective, you're better off just giving the Ancient Armor back to the Ghost Knights for more XP.

edited March 2015
    "We are not amused". A famous quote from Queen Victoria, (using the royal "we" pronoun), when an entertainer performing at court offended her sense of propriety.

Well, actually, accounts differ as to the exact circumstances under which this was uttered, but you get the idea. Imagine a prim dowager speaking in frosty tones that would cool off the antechamber of Hell.