Skip to content

Differences between Baldurs Gate 1 and 2

superluccixsuperluccix Member Posts: 76
edited February 2015 in New Players (NO SPOILERS!)
I havent beat the first game yet, however I am curious to know what are some changes that Baldurs Gate 2 brings to the table compared to the first game? Because whenever I see forums talking about these 2 games, it seems they say the 2nd one was overall better. (I know its all subjective of course, but still want to know why)

I heard that the 2nd game focuses less on exploration and more on story/rpg stuff? Not sure. (Honestly I probably would like that, since Im getting kinda tired exploring these random wilderness areas. Ever since Durlag Tower, these random areas on the world map seem so inferior by comparison)

Basically Im just trying to get myself hyped up for the 2nd installment, by imagining what its going to be like

Edit: Im sorry, I cant believe I forgot to search this forum first to see if this topic was already made, which it was, so if you want to lock it, I understand.

Comments

• HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    For a start, the second game follows the events of the first, so I recommend that you do not read too far ahead if you want to avoid spoilers. Secondly, as a result of this, your character start the second game at the same stage as he/she ended the first, so the game will feature much more high level combat than the first, which means magic will play a much bigger role in battles in BG2 than BG1. For example in BG1 you come across drakes, which were a fairly big deal in terms of challenge, but in BG2 there will be full blown dragons.

And yes, although you still have a lot of options regarding the path you take through BG2, you have much clearer direction towards the main plot, which means less random exploration, and much more story-driven questing.

Whilst the above two points can be good or bad depending on your preferences, the third major difference between BG1 and BG2 is objectively good. Namely whilst your BG1 companions are basically mute (except the Enhanced Edition characters), all the BG2 NPC companions are much more fleshed out, with banters, interactions with your main character and each other, and most of them come with their individual quests.
  • LuremasterLuremaster Member Posts: 100
    Heindrich said:

For a start, the second game follows the events of the first, so I recommend that you do not read too far ahead if you want to avoid spoilers. Secondly, as a result of this, your character start the second game at the same stage as he/she ended the first, so the game will feature much more high level combat than the first, which means magic will play a much bigger role in battles in BG2 than BG1. For example in BG1 you come across drakes, which were a fairly big deal in terms of challenge, but in BG2 there will be full blown dragons.

And yes, although you still have a lot of options regarding the path you take through BG2, you have much clearer direction towards the main plot, which means less random exploration, and much more story-driven questing.

Whilst the above two points can be good or bad depending on your preferences, the third major difference between BG1 and BG2 is objectively good. Namely whilst your BG1 companions are basically mute (except the Enhanced Edition characters), all the BG2 NPC companions are much more fleshed out, with banters, interactions with your main character and each other, and most of them come with their individual quests.

^^^ Also, you will be a much higher level by the end of the second installment, giving you access to many more high level powerful spells. There are also romance options in addition to much more in-depth conversations with companion NPCs. As Heindrich mentioned, there is less exploration (i.e. the wilderness in between important areas in the first BG). BG2 is an amazing game and you will definitely not be disappointed if you are a fan of the first. Good luck to you and happy adventuring! :smile:
  • superluccixsuperluccix Member Posts: 76
    That last part with what you said about companions really makes me happy, because I have indeed found my companions in BG1 to be sort've lackluster.

I pretty much dont even bother recruiting them anymore, since all we would do is 1 quick quest and then boom its over for the interaction of us. Just seems like I should just get a full party, then stick with it the whole game
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,151
    I would say the first game was a brilliant and masterful technical accomplishment.
    While the second game breathes life into the beast. It adds a deeper story and fleshes out characters.

So I guess the difference is BG1 is a great game. BG2 is a great story.
  • BelanosBelanos Member Posts: 968
    edited March 2015
    Heindrich said:

...which means less random exploration, and much more story-driven questing.

Not to mention that the maps in the areas you can explore in BG2 were much better done than in BG1. In the first game they're largely just wide open spaces, where you just have to wander around to clear the fog of war. The BG2 maps are more like mazes that you have to make your way through. It makes exploring them much more interesting.

• HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    edited March 2015

That last part with what you said about companions really makes me happy, because I have indeed found my companions in BG1 to be sort've lackluster.

I pretty much dont even bother recruiting them anymore, since all we would do is 1 quick quest and then boom its over for the interaction of us. Just seems like I should just get a full party, then stick with it the whole game

@superluccix I can't believe I forgot to mention this, but next time you play BG:EE, I strongly recommend that you try BG1NPC mod. It is a wonderful project that adds a few small NPC quests, character interactions and banters, and really brings your BG1 companions to life, so it feels close to BG2, without drastically changing the core game experience. I'm trying it now and absolutely loving it. I can't imagine playing BG1 without it now. :smile:
  • BelanosBelanos Member Posts: 968
    Heindrich said:

@superluccix I can't believe I forgot to mention this, but next time you play BG:EE, I strongly recommend that you try BG1NPC mod. It is a wonderful project that adds a few small NPC quests, character interactions and banters, and really brings your BG1 companions to life, so it feels close to BG2, without drastically changing the core game experience. I'm trying it now and absolutely loving it. I can't imagine playing BG1 without it now. :smile:

I don't necessarily care for the way they've handled some of the characters though. Imoen in particular they treat like some empty-headed teenager, even though she has an Intelligence of 17.

• ElysiumElysium Member Posts: 28
    I think the way they treat Imoen is justifying the gap between INT 17 and WIS 11, which makes her very booksmart, quick-witted, and intellectually curious (evidenced by how easily she takes to magic, her canon dual-classing, and the various banters with her and the mages), but she's a bit ditzy, impulsive, and doesn't think twice about saying something, which often leads her scatterbrained head into trouble.

Basically, there are a lot of little interesting quirks about characters' stats which are then picked up on by BG1NPC. Like, you can have Khalid (INT 15) having discussions on morality and the nature of the world, or Xzar (a bizarre WIS 16) rationally and logically discussing the ins and outs of necromantic practices and views. It is the logic of a Chaotic Evil necromancer, but logic nonetheless.

Statistically, none of these stats are necessary (as a half-elf, Khalid can't dual-class, Edwin has subpar WIS, and Minsc's appalling WIS/INT scores can go in this too), but they all go into the characters and who they are, and since the mod's purpose is to flesh out the characters more, I think it does a fantastic job with that.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @Elysium Yeah, but 11 is like average+.