Skip to content

Ranger/Cleric

Can someone please explain how the spells work with this class? Do you get Druid spells? If so, when? I'm sure this has been hashed over many times, but I can't find any definitive answers. Thanks!

Comments

• joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137
    edited March 2015
    Edit: Didn't notice that this was an IWD-specific question. I agree with the answer @Belanos gives below.
  • CField17CField17 Member Posts: 122
    Multi. What about the 1.4 update for Android?
  • BelanosBelanos Member Posts: 968
    In Icewind Dale, you get the same Druid spells that a Ranger is normally entitled to, which start to kick in at 6th level. They don't get the full spell progression like they do with the BG games, and they'll never get any of the higher level ones.
    joluv
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    QuartzreivisionJuliusBorisovFenghoang
  • KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    edited March 2015
    The Good: Since Rangers gain access to Druid spells, a Ranger/Cleric is able to cast both Cleric and Druid spells - in other words, all divine spells (except for evil-exclusive ones).

The Bad: access to Druid spells will only be granted when your character hits the appropriate levels as a Ranger (level 6 gives you 1st level Druid spells, for starters).

The Silver Lining: in BG access to Druid spells is based on a R/C's Cleric level. If I'm not mistaken this has been changed in BG2:EE but the rule is reversible via editing baldur.ini. I'm not sure if this is available in IWD:EE.

EDIT: Ninja'ed by about 457824 people. Damn, you people are fast.
    JuliusBorisov
    I'm just wondering about IWD EE. Is Ranger/Cleric multi even worth it in IWD EE? I mean what bonus is there? Entangle?
  • KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    Free ** in Two-Weapon Style and Stealth, which makes for a more versatile character than a Fighter/Cleric. Don't be fooled, these characters can be powerhouses.
    joluv[Deleted User]reivision
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    Grum said:

Kilivitz said:

Free ** in Two-Weapon Style and Stealth, which makes for a more versatile character than a Fighter/Cleric. Don't be fooled, these characters can be powerhouses.

They can indeed. I've actually stopped playing a character because he reached 30/30 and there doesn't seem to be a point to progressing.

Some things to keep in mind: when stealthing, enemies will still mob you. If you aren't careful, this will lead to you being boxed in with no way out.

Sanctuary is your best friend: you can even loot and buff while protected! It's a life saver.

Flails can literally break the game: My ranger/cleric had a flail of action +2 in his off hand (+2 attacks) and in his main hand, the flail of mae. Why? Because it petrifies it's foes. Sure, you can lose out on some loot that way, but the combination actually broke the game. He snuck up to yxionomei (yeah, I'm sure I misspelled that) and hit her in her child form. She was petrified and shattered, taking the heartstone gem with her. I had to reload and kill her the hard way.

However, walking around turning your enemies into statutes is really nifty. And it leads to some interesting strategies. In one fight, I actually made a wall of petrified enemies to protect my character, so he would have time to heal up. Which, come to think of it, is both funny and horrifying at the same time.
    Better to have the Shocking Flail +4 in the mainhand for the stun chance. Before you get that the Hammer Flail +2 is really good.

Flails are indeed the best weapon type in IWD by a significant margin.
    Thanks everyone.
    joluv said:

Edit: Didn't notice that this was an IWD-specific question. I agree with the answer @Belanos gives below.

It's not just IWD either, BG2EE now uses the same format for Ranger/Cleric. Only with BG1 does that class combo still get full Druid spell progression.

• mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    edited April 2015
    @Belanos Actually you can configure the behavior in baldur.ini.

Look for this line and change it to 0 or 1 depending on the behavior you want:

'Game Options', 'Cleric Ranger Spells', '1',
    Post edited by mlnevese on
    JuliusBorisovFenghoang
    edited April 2015
    mlnevese said:

Belanos Actually you can configure the behavior in baldur.ini.

Look for this line and change it to 0 or 1 depending on the behavior you want:

'Game Options', 'Cleric Ranger Spells', '1',

Yes, I'm aware of that.

Post edited by mlnevese on
  • HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,643
    Ranger/Clerics are awesome. Dual-Class is great too, but gimme that ol' Half-Elf anyday.
    @HaHaCharade what makes them awesome? Stealth?
  • HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,643
    CField17 said:

What @subtledoctor said. :) That and free slots in Dual-Wield. 1st level you can start with 2 slots Dual-Wield, 2 Slots Mace, 2 Slots Flail/Morning Star. You're pretty much a bad @ss.
    xLemorjoluv

CField17 said:

What @subtledoctor said. :) That and free slots in Dual-Wield. 1st level you can start with 2 slots Dual-Wield, 2 Slots Mace, 2 Slots Flail/Morning Star. You're pretty much a bad @ss.
    Word.
  • ameliabogginsameliaboggins Member Posts: 287
    on my first proper (from the start) HOF play through, I ditched my rng/clr for a second archer. It was a tough choice and one i kinda regret, but will probaby stick with it for now. Didnt pick pally either, so fighting in bural isle is a bit slow. tbh its the wailing banshees that slow me down in there.
    2 FMT, 2 archers, bard and dorf defender....pretty unbalanced grp!

on first run through i used the R/Clr as a secondary tank, having to dependon summoned mobs to offtank atmo, which is kinda tricky BUT no deaths so far....

Obviously id say the rng/clr is useful combo, but kinda replaceable. Maybe i wasnt using the offensive side of cleric properly ? /shrug