Skip to content

Mood breaking modernisms and Americanisms in BGEE

KristijonasKristijonas Member Posts: 11
Just want to complain a bit. Neera's jokes at the face of her death are RP-breaking. Some of the modern words she uses are mood-breaking. Same goes with some other aspects of BGEE characters. For example, Dorn's quest is named "Bad Cop"... There are so many little pieces of dialogue that are out of context of lore.

Additionally, Neera claims she was born with "gift of magic" or something like that. However, no one except sorcerer class people are born being able to use magic. There's a reason her main attribute is intelligence - because her magic relies on magical knowledge/insight.

Yet another thing, when Neera died in her quest, that fat guy acted like she's standing over there. She is so easy to be killed in that battle with AOE spells, yet it is not counted as a probability.

Dorn and especially Rasheed I find somewhat better than Neera. I did not do any Rasheed quests yet, but his dialogue lines sound good enough.

Sad to say it, though, but even though I did not believe it when others said it at first, now I can confirm it myself that BGEE is not a big improvement over original BG. There's aplenty of quality mods for original BG. Luckily, some of them are available for BGEE as well. I'd say the largest improvement of BGEE is the UI.

Comments

• SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    Wait until you meet the NPC they added in BG2:EE.
  • djcdjc Member Posts: 76
    "Bad Cop" bothered me also, it seemed very ill-fitted. And speaking of the new NPC in BG2:EE... well, some of the writing seemed just lazy, especially when compared to many NPC mods.
  • joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137
    I wish they were a little bit more completely optional. I find Neera's cutscene in the Bridge district and subsequent ambush especially intrusive.
  • BelanosBelanos Member Posts: 968

Additionally, Neera claims she was born with "gift of magic" or something like that. However, no one except sorcerer class people are born being able to use magic. There's a reason her main attribute is intelligence - because her magic relies on magical knowledge/insight.

It can be easily argued that a Wild Mage is something of a Sorceror. The main difference is that they don't have the ability to control their magic, so they need the discipline of a regular Mage in order to focus their power.

• SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    Belanos said:

It can be easily argued that a Wild Mage is something of a Sorceror. The main difference is that they don't have the ability to control their magic, so they need the discipline of a regular Mage in order to focus their power.

The question would be, do they use a spellbook or not in DnD? If they use one they are a Wizard, if they don't then they are a sorcerer, no?
  • kcwisekcwise Member Posts: 2,287
    Well, in the instance you describe I wouldn't call it a plothole. As a sentient being, particularly one with emotional issues, not everything she does is going to make sense. People do contradictory things all the time, particularly for love.

That said, you may be right that this isn't a matter of opinion. Perhaps those of us who enjoyed most of the new content are simply enjoying a flawed creation (I haven't encountered a creation yet that wasn't at least a little flawed). So be it, it certainly wouldn't be the first time I liked something that many others found to be lacking.
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    kcwise said:

Well, in the instance you describe I wouldn't call it a plothole. As a sentient being, particularly one with emotional issues, not everything she does is going to make sense. People do contradictory things all the time, particularly for love.

True, but in those cases it's considered common sense to at least explain why these contradictions are happening, or what they signify. A character who says A and then does B for no apparent reason is just sloppy writing. Imagine if Minsc suddenly announces that he hates animals.
  • BelanosBelanos Member Posts: 968
    SionIV said:

The question would be, do they use a spellbook or not in DnD? If they use one they are a Wizard, if they don't then they are a sorcerer, no?

But even when they use a spell book, their power can get away from them and the spell they end up casting is not what they had intended. That would be their Sorcerer side coming out.

• Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    SionIV said:

Belanos said:

When they use Nahal's, they work pretty much like a Sorcerrer. See: http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Sorcerer the part that describes the power source of a sorcerer. (Dragon blood or Wild Magic).
  • MessiMessi Member Posts: 738
    OP you seem to jumping all over the place with your critiques. I completely agree that in many places Beamdog's writing is at fanfiction level, and at times even below that. In BGEE this isn't even nearly as visible as it is in BG2EE thanks to how little new content there is. BG2EE also has the problem of voiced side quest NPCs that have voice acting talent drawn from the local amateur theatre.

The "gift of magic" thing is really poor example though since it could really be interpreted in so many ways. Overall for me the main problem is that the tone difference of Beamdog writing vs. BioWare writing is glaringly obvious on way too many occasions.

However in my opinion this doesn't mean BGEE isn't a big improvement over vBG. The NPCs are completely optional and BGEE adds tons of small and big improvements that simply aren't available as mods. Not to mention the ease of use BGEE has compared to managing a pile of mods.
  • ScotGaymerScotGaymer Member Posts: 526
    edited March 2015
    I don't really agree with the OP.

Any other setting and I would absolutely agree that the anachronisms and americanisms were fourth wall breaking and annoying but given that Forgotten Realms is a Kitchen Sink Setting and already HAS those anachronisms and americanisms as part of the base setting?

Go complain to Ed Greenwood about that buddy not Beamdog, or Bioware.
    Post edited by ScotGaymer on
  • elementelement Member Posts: 833
    edited March 2015
    Well op I don't agree with all your arguments but I agree with the sentiment

one thing that bugs me no end is that the new npcs are basically impossible to avoid its super frustrating that I always trigger Hexxat (who I cant stand) and then have to break rp in order to avoid her quest. I really wish you could turn them off at the menu
    element said:

one thing that bugs me no end is that the new npcs are basically impossible to avoid its super frustrating that I always trigger Hexxat (who I cant stand) and then have to break rp in order to avoid her quest. I really wish you could turn them off at the menu

I really don't get that.

It bothers you that you have to tell Fake!Hexxat no? What about Nalia? Nalia also accosts you in the Copper Coronet wether you want her to or not; do you also have to "break RP" to say no to her?

I am utterly uninterested in the Hexxat character - she isn't the type of character that appeals to me. Seems too EMO imo. But at no point did I feel that saying no to the bonkers fake version of her in the copper coronet seem RP breaking to me.
  • RavenslightRavenslight Member Posts: 1,609

element said:

I really don't get that.

It bothers you that you have to tell Fake!Hexxat no? What about Nalia? Nalia also accosts you in the Copper Coronet wether you want her to or not; do you also have to "break RP" to say no to her?

I am utterly uninterested in the Hexxat character - she isn't the type of character that appeals to me. Seems too EMO imo. But at no point did I feel that saying no to the bonkers fake version of her in the copper coronet seem RP breaking to me.

I’m getting curious here, not to mention starting to wonder if my game was bugged. Does Hexxat only force you into dialogue one time in your game? The same as Nalia does? In my games she did it many times, even after I told her no. It seemed like every time I walked near her she was forcing me into conversation again.
    edited March 2015
    @Ravenslight - she only did it the once for me in my playthru, and in my post 1.3 patch restart. I think mayhaps you have found a bug. :)

I am however going to go into my BG2EE right this second and double check.

EDIT:
    Having double checked this does not happen for me. She spoke to me once, I said no, and nothing since.
    edited March 2015

It bothers you that you have to tell Fake!Hexxat no? What about Nalia? Nalia also accosts you in the Copper Coronet wether you want her to or not.

the problem for me is that i'm not telling Hexxat 'no' for rp reasons i'm telling her no because I simply find her quests(and character) unbearable in terms of both personal enjoyment and rp. So when Hexxat accosts me I have to come out of game and break character every time to refuse the quest. Nalia might auto chat but I can deal with her content in a pretty satisfactory manor regardless of how i'm playing, Hexxat does not allow this. I hope that makes sense I feel I probably did not explain it very well
    @element - I am afraid I still don't understand what you mean then.

It seems to me that you are saying that you do not like the Hexxat character (either of them) and thus don't want to have anything to do with them...
    Which is the same as me, so thats' fine. But I don't follow as to why you disliking the character means its breaking roleplay to say no to her?
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    I mean, Korgan's in the Copper Coronet too, asking you to help him steal the Book of Kaza. If you're playing Good, saying no isn't breaking RP. Same holds for Hexxat (either version).
    edited March 2015

@element - I am afraid I still don't understand what you mean then.

It seems to me that you are saying that you do not like the Hexxat character (either of them) and thus don't want to have anything to do with them...
    Which is the same as me, so thats' fine. But I don't follow as to why you disliking the character means its breaking roleplay to say no to her?

because my characters wouldn't say no to her.

If I was behaving in character I generally wouldn't turn her down, I would try and help. The decision not to help is made by me as a player in order to avoid her content as I both dislike it and feel it is terrible for rp.
    The game is forcing me to behave in a manner contrary to that of my character thus breaking the rp and I feel it really sours the experience of an rpg for me

If I could totally avoid her it wouldn't be such an issue (id still hate her ofcourse) as my character simply would never encounter her.