Skip to content

questions and thoughts about thievery steal skill...

how do you feel about not being able to steal from most of the shops with magic items ?
doesn't it make less useful to the point of almost useless ?

Comments

• SertoriusSertorius Member Posts: 172
    Perhaps, but I would expect the people selling high-end magical items being aware of the value and therefor keeping them inaccessible most of the time... in BG2 there are several things you can get by pickpocketing that are worthwhile.
    semiticgoddess
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited March 2015
    Dremor said:

how do you feel about not being able to steal from most of the shops with magic items ?
    doesn't it make less useful to the point of almost useless ?

Yep. In BG1 its a skill that is largely only useful if you know specific people carrying specific magical items (and only rarely are these people shop owners). In BG2 on the other hand there are some merchants that you can steal from and then sell back the stolen item, over and over. Overall it was not a well implemented system.

In fact it was so poorly implemented that in the original BG1 you couldn't actually sell any item that you had stolen from a store's inventory (even the games thieves guild merchant wouldn't accept them). Thankfully BGEE addressed this.
    Tresset
  • mumumomomumumomo Member Posts: 635
    Pickpocket implementation is indeed awful:
    - you need to metagame to know the good targets
    - if you fail, it's reload time
    - in BG2EE, you can use it to make infinite money extremely easily.
    - you can boost the skill to infinite value using potions. Given the limited amount of good items to steal, this makes investing into the skills completely useless
    JuliusBorisov
  • DremorDremor Member Posts: 40
    i got an idea...
    lets say thalantir seels an item for 5000 gold...
    i can always pay for it, then sell it somewhere where you can steal it back... so i can at least recoup some gp... what do you think about this tactic ? this way you do not modify the game, but somehow you may still get item for far cheaper...