Skip to content

Kensai and other classes?

HellRaiserHellRaiser Member Posts: 6
Will I be able to be a kensai in BG1? because if i remember rightly it did not exist in bg1 only in bg2.

Comments

• CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    All classes available in Baldur's Gate 2 and Throne of Bhaal will be available in BGEE, including all kits, so yes, you can be a kensai if you wanted to :)
  • The_New_RomanceThe_New_Romance Member Posts: 839
    Cheesebelly is right.
  • sandmanCCLsandmanCCL Member Posts: 1,389
    Just keep in mind you'll be fairly gimp for a long time. Lack of ranged weaponry + inability to use armor is a HUGE hindrance in BG1, and you won't reach super high levels to take advantage of their scaling growth.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    Lol I almost want to try Kensai in BG1, I'm imagining JUST how bad they would be ...
  • kiroskiros Member Posts: 119
    Hah, kensai would be interesting to play at lvl 1.
    Might give this a go for the lulz.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    Kensai would involve a lot of kiting stuff around so Imoen/Montaron/Viconia/etc. can pelt stuff with arrows, darts, and slings, but once per day you can do terrible, horrifying things to an enemy with a greatsword or katana.
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    Unless this has been fixed, perhaps you can still play the fastest axe thrower in the west.
  • PaheejPaheej Member Posts: 126
    With BGTutu I managed to beat the game with a Kensai.

It was dumb, because ranged weapons rule BG1.

But I did it.

Came barrelling into BG2 at level 11 and promptly dueled up to Mage for the OP Kensai/Mage.

Then played "Let the Bodies Hit the Floor" for the vast majority of a "hardcore" playthough.
  • CrazedSlayerCrazedSlayer Member Posts: 130
    I was gonna play kensai, but judging from these comments I may find it easier to play as a bard O.O
    Bards are amazing and highly underrated, especially if you murder Drizzt and roll around with the Mithril Chain +4.

I solo'd the game with a Blade, starting from level 1 in BGtutu. WANDS ARE YOUR FRIENDS. Abuse the hell out of them.
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    @Paheej - I was more talking about pure Kensai, not multi-classing. My point is that a class should be able to make it through the game without changing classes. Seems that no armor makes it all but impossible, as robes require mage class.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    I played a pure kensai in a BGT run. It's hard to keep them alive in the beggining. By TOB, when AC really doesn't matter, they become real destruction machines.
  • PaheejPaheej Member Posts: 126
    @reedmilfam
    Well I didn't dual class to Mage until BG2. In BG1 I actually feel the lack of ranged weapons is what is a catastrophe. Yeah the no armor sucks - but not being able to kite and do damage results in lots of real risky adventures.

@CrazedSlayer
    Hey bro, I need you to secure that free thinking. Ha, bards as good, what's next - someone suggesting we should play druids? (As @sandmanCCL said though, Blades are dominant).
    Try the druid kits out sometime (except Shapeshifter, because it's trash). Avenger is one of the more fun bizarro kits out there, and Totemic Druid is OP even for BG2 and ToB, let alone for BG1.
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    @CrazedSlayer : don't let some comments fool you. If you play your cards nice and easy, a kensai could complete the game no problem. Just have someone that tanks while Kensai hits. Besides that, Shield Amulet helps a great deal for unarmored guys :)

It will still be a challenge though.
  • SilenceSilence Member Posts: 437
    edited August 2012
    Use the following potions to circumvent your inability to wear armour as a Kensai:

Potion of Invulnerability - Setcs AC to 0, Grants +5 to saves
    Potion of Defense - Sets AC to 0
    Potion of Stone form - Sets AC to 0, +3 to saves (but -3 dex)

With these, you'll tank quite well. Save them for the big battles in which opponents are numerous or deal tons of damage. In regular combats, use hurled weapons if you're afraid of getting hit. Insulate your character against archers as well.

If potions are unavailable or in short supply, cast Barkskin on your Kensai before a big combat.
  • SilenceSilence Member Posts: 437
    edited August 2012
    YOU HEAR THAT ZAL! I also hate how the random winter wolves nearby rush to the defense of the idiot dart-thrower.
    Post edited by Silence on

Not to be confused with the Fastest Dart in the West, who will straight up murder you if you're not careful. o.o

Hahaha, oh my god yeah. I never tried it personally but a friend did. Kensai up to 12 IIRC, friend dual-classed him to mage. Got the Crimson Dart thingy in BG2 and just mowed people down. Easily the trolliest and most hilarious build I've seen to date.
  • zarffynzarffyn Member Posts: 175

Not to be confused with the Fastest Dart in the West, who will straight up murder you if you're not careful. o.o

LOL. I'd forgotten about that guy. Oh man, now I'm looking forward to running into him again. :)