Skip to content

List of BG1 Tips and 'Cheesy' methods to share (SPOILERS)

johntyljohntyl Member Posts: 397
Hi guys, I just started BGEE after completing BG1 and 2 a long time ago and I am re-loving it again, especially the new NPCs and subplots. Some of the little things I truly enjoy in this series is the total freedom in doing anything you want, outsmarting the game and getting away with it! :D

The following are some of the tricks I have discovered that I think are not commonly mentioned (correct me if I'm wrong) which I wish to share the fun. As I just started, I will be constantly updating the list as I go. If you guys have any tricks or tips you have discovered on your own and wish to share, please feel free to post them. Also, I am playing the SCS mod version so some stuff may vary, though insignificantly. (Note: I don't refer to the numerous guides out there; I find it more fun to discover them myself)

[BEWARE: SPOILERS AHEAD]
1. At Candlekeep inn, if you are a warrior class with a proficiency in any bows, you can get a full plate mail by killing the guard in the inn upstairs who will appear when you steal something from one of the chests and someone notices you. I managed to kill him with my Ranger by kiting him, but the downside is that you will lose your reputation and for Ranger it's worse because you will lose your class. I didn't do it eventually but if you are a warrior class (or possibly a thief class) with an evil alignment or you don't really care about your reputation, you can get some pretty neat gear right in the beginning of the game. (Killing the guard strangely doesn't bring the whole town against you)

2. I realised that in the event that your character gets to choose between two options (for those sub quests): say helping A kill B or B kill A, no matter which side you take, you can usually kill both A and B (even if you agreed to say help A) without suffering any consequences and getting a nice bit of experience and items. For example, in Beregost, you can kill both Silke and her enemies even when you sided with her enemies (sorry, I just love to be malevolent)

3. I killed Drizzt for his gorgeous scimitars and chainmail when my party is only around level 2-3 :D The trick is to force attack him when the knolls (I think) swarm at him WHILE AT THE SAME TIME clicking 'chat' on him CONSISTENTLY. Miraculously, he will remain friendly until you killed him. What I did was get my mage who probably can't do shit to him since he is almost resistant to low level magic to click-chat him once every 2-4 seconds. (Note: the knolls deal pretty a lot of damage to him so I got my archer to slowly pick them off 1by1 so as not to let the knolls kill him. Otherwise, you will not get the experience points! If you do not want to incur the loss in reputation points at the expense of a huge gain of experience, then simply let the knolls finish him off). I know this is really cheese but I really love Drizzt's items so sorry Drizzt! :D

4. Whoever you meet along the road, NEVER hesitate to pickpocket him or her ;)

5. [LATEST] I just discovered, by accident, that you can get the elusive scroll case in BG1! The trick is you have to get your CHAR (and not anyone else) to speak to Firebead Elvenhair (in the blue house opposite Feldepost's Inn at Beregost) in order to trigger the quest to help Elvenhair purchase a book. In return, he will give you the scroll case!

6. More to come..
Post edited by johntyl on

Comments

• DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Placing one or more invisible companions in a corridor prevents enemies from reaching the visible ones, in that case you can shoot your arrows and spells until they're dead.
  • st_live418st_live418 Member Posts: 41
    On some of my lazier playthroughs, I've ended fights before they've started by launching some AOE attacks off into the Fogs of War. When I know there is a fight around the corner and just don't want to deal with it, I can shoot a handful of Fireballs (spells/scrolls/wands/etc) off into the distance and walk away with no hassle. Lazy as I can get, still don't care haha
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    In my defense, the enemy also cheeses. Like the time when... um...
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    DJKajuru said:

In my defense, the enemy also cheeses. Like the time when... um...

The Super Werewolf kept regenerating like crazy.
  • baldurskjdbaldurskjd Member Posts: 67
    If you truly what to be cheesy with Drizzt you can remove party members and park them in front of drizzt on all sides and box him in. Then have your archer pick him off. Much easier than chat spamming him.
  • Fiendish_WarriorFiendish_Warrior Member Posts: 309
    If you charm Bassilus, you can waste most of his spells and switch his weapon from Ashideena to fist. When he turns hostile again, he continues to attack you with his fist, making the fight cake.
  • johntyljohntyl Member Posts: 397

If you truly what to be cheesy with Drizzt you can remove party members and park them in front of drizzt on all sides and box him in. Then have your archer pick him off. Much easier than chat spamming him.

I saw a Youtube video of someone doing that after I killed Drizzt. It's not too bad a tactic but it takes ages and tons of arrows, not forgetting you need someone who is skilled in archery. Well, too each his own cheese I would say :)
  • VahnXIIIVahnXIII Member Posts: 33
    This game is very challenging for any player on their first go 'round. My advice is always to have your sleep spell ready. It makes almost every fight extremely easy.
  • hisplshispls Member Posts: 166

On some of my lazier playthroughs, I've ended fights before they've started by launching some AOE attacks off into the Fogs of War. When I know there is a fight around the corner and just don't want to deal with it, I can shoot a handful of Fireballs (spells/scrolls/wands/etc) off into the distance and walk away with no hassle. Lazy as I can get, still don't care haha

A combination of an invisible character scouting ahead (a thief detecting traps for preference) plus AOE while enemies are still out of sight is a fine strategy. I don't do AoE with metagaming myself just stealthed scouting.