Skip to content

Importing characters

OK, I have no idea how to import my character from BG1. Or to put it another way, I think I am doing the process but nothing happens.

I pick my character in BG1
I choose the export option
I rename the export file appropriately
I load BG2, pick the new game/create option
I click on the import option
The file I created in BG1 does NOT appear as an option, I keep getting a pre-created character that I don't know
I tried not creating a renamed file and just over-writing the one they already have (01FTR). Same thing happens

Whazzup with this?

Comments

• DaevelonDaevelon Member Posts: 605
    If it's on pc you have to move the char file from the baldur 1 directory to the baldur 2 directory
  • FrdNwsmFrdNwsm Member Posts: 1,069
    edited March 2015
    >>you have to move the char file from the baldur 1 directory to the baldur 2 directory<<

I have not the faintest idea how to do this.
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    Did you complete BG1? If you killed the final boss, the game will have automatically created a "Final Save" folder and put it in your BG1 "Save" folder. You need to copy-paste the Final Save folder to the BG 2 Save folder.

Are you playing on PC/Mac, and is your game on Beamdog or Steam? That'll help me give you a more specific answer.
    PC and Beamdog

Haven't done the final BG1 combat yet.
    Yeah there's a section on importing in the guide Daevelon linked.

Whilst you can import a character from an unfinished BG1 game, I would recommend that you wait until the Final Save folder is created on your final victory. Not only is that more satisfying, I am not sure how the game handles certain variables if you import an incomplete save. Perhaps somebody can enlighten me too...

Specifically I am wondering what happens with the genie in the Plane of Air. Do you still get the Sword of Chaos by default?

• TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    edited March 2015
    Heindrich said:

Specifically I am wondering what happens with the genie in the Plane of Air. Do you still get the Sword of Chaos by default?

@Heindrich
    No. The Cambion has that now. The genie gives you your weapon import now.

@Tresset Yeah but what happens if you import from an incomplete BG1 game? I always thought that the tags for those items were in the Final Save created at the end of the game. Will he still have things like...

Helm of Balduran, Golden Pantaloon, etc

... showing up in the dungeon, assuming he has them in his inventory already.

ps: @Tresset Oops I accidentally edited your comment instead of posting a new one. That's why there's an edit there, encase you're wondering.
    @Heindrich I usually don't import from my final save. I usually just load from before entering the final area and go to my stash area to set up my inventory and then make port .chr file. It figures out the items well enough, so long as I have them in my inventory. The script basically just looks at the inventory of the imported character before removing all the items and if it sees anything it is scripted to notice then it will act accordingly by setting a variable (if it sees a couple of specific scimitars or some armor) or putting the item elsewhere in the chateau (if it sees a portable item). Keep in mind that it only checks charname's inventory and if you import from a save where another party members inventory contains a noticeable item I don't think it catches it.

That said, I am not entirely sure how they made the EE character's romances portable.
    I can find the save game folder I want in the documents for BG1. How do I copy it? There's a copy option, but what do I do with it? When I go to the BG2 documents folder it doesn't seem to show up, nor does there seem to be any option to add another file/folder to it.
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,151
    Right-click copy the appropriate folder from from documents-BG1-save. Then go to documents-BG2-save and right-click paste.
    If the save folder doesn't exist in BG2 (possible if you haven't actually saved anything in the game yet) feel free to just create the folder (right-click new folder) under documents-BG2. If you're not comfortable with this just start a game of BG2 with a throw away character, as soon as the game does its first auto-save (as soon as the opening dialogue ends) it will create the save folder.
    I have started two games of BG2. Despite this, the Save folder does not appear anywhere, nor can I access the option to create one.
    Hang on, I seem to have found a save folder; let's see if paste works.
    edited March 2015
    Aha! Ok, I have NO idea why but this time it worked. MyChar from BG1 was imported. I assume I'll find the stuff I had (golden pantaloons, +3 chain, burning earth and helm of Balrudan) lying around somewhere?
    Post edited by FrdNwsm on
    I have the silly golden pantaloons but haven't found the other gear yet, just a +1 dagger and some normal junk. The rest will appear later?
    Some will. Most of your stuff is gone. There's plenty better in BG2.
    edited March 2015
    >>There's plenty better in BG2.<<

Oh, I'm sure there is; hell, I had better stuff in BG1. Ankheg plate mail, World's Edge, Helm of Peace etc. Be nice to have some decent stuff at the start of BG2, however. And why should the items be gone if they are specifically designed to be imported?
    FrdNwsm said:

>>There's plenty better in BG2.<<

And why should the items be gone if they are specifically designed to be imported?</p>

Pretty sure only a select few were meant to be imported.
    You import your character, not the stuff. Just a very few items show up early in BG2, everything else is gone.
    Its funny, all the way back to the Gold Box games its sort of a tradition to loose all your stuff between games!
  • reap_iireap_ii Member Posts: 43
    Pretty sure Irenicus would have disposed/sold any captued items from the PC and his party. Makes sense not to have all those BG1 items in a chest in a room near his captives.
    The +3 chain mail, helm of Balduran and Burning Earth are specifically mentioned as being importable.
    I'll just have to kill and loot anything that moves looking for them.
  • DaevelonDaevelon Member Posts: 605
    FrdNwsm said:

The +3 chain mail, helm of Balduran and Burning Earth are specifically mentioned as being importable.

I don't think you will find all of them.
    If i remember well some items you mentioned are portable, yes, but you will find just ONE in a specific place. And there is an order for them, i mean that for example i always found the helm of balduran because it's an helm.
    For the weapons now the first Djinn will give you a weapon based on your profiency (i got the Varscona because of my ++ in Long Sword).
    Anyway don't worry, you will find better items very soon (except for the cloak of balduran :( )
    There are two tables, each with 4 items in the order they are preferred. patch 1.3 is supposed to let you take burning earth as a weapon also. Let me see if I can find the table and stick it here
    OK let's see if this comes out legibly ...

If you have completed Baldur's Gate & the Tales of the Sword Coast and your main character has certain items in his/her inventory they can carry them over into Baldur's Gate II. You can bring one item from each list (below) which is presented in order (i.e. if you have two items from one list, the item higher up the list is imported). There is a default item for each list so that if you never imported an item from each list you will still get something in BG2. You should consider carefully which is the best of each list if you are playing the whole saga through to Throne of Bhaal. Also note that you should hang onto the Golden Pantaloons (not listed below) as they will also carry over into BG2.

Armour Miscellaneous
    Protector of the Second
    Leather Armour +2 Helm of Balduran
    Mail of the Dead +2
    Chain Mail +2 Claw of Kazgaroth
    Fallorain's Plate
    Plate Mail +1 Horn of Kazgaroth
    Chainmail +3 Helm of Baluran
    Chainmail +2x Koveras' Ring of Protection +1
    Mail of the Dead +2 Ring of the Princes

Bah; the tables didn't stay separate; oh well, you can pretty much guess the way they're supposed to be.
    edited March 2015
    Hah! Found the Helm of Balduran and the +3 chain mail. Those stinking duergar had them; bad dwarves!

Which, of course, made Ilya just a wee bit tougher in combat. Interesting concept. "You want those items you imported? You'll have to fight for them!"
    And Burning Earth finally showed up also; it was with the Djinn on the plane of air.