Skip to content

Rename "TWO WEAPON" style

BoasterBoaster Member Posts: 622
edited August 2012 in Archive (Feature Requests)
I would like a simple text change.

Rename "TWO WEAPON" style to "Dual Weapon" style.

At a glance, I always mix TWO WEAPON with TWO HANDED weapon styles when selecting proficiencies.

It's a simple enough request, I hope.

Comments

• HvitrEbrithilHvitrEbrithil Member Posts: 36
    Dis I liek.
  • LugeLuge Member Posts: 90
    I read the manual, so I know exactly what "Two weapon" means.

Even if I didn't, I know the difference between "two weapon" and "two handed". I'll give you a clue: It's in the name.

This is the sort of request that the developers really don't need to spend their time on.

L.
  • SolobearSolobear Member Posts: 55
    Yea I don't see this as a major issue.
  • BoasterBoaster Member Posts: 622
    At a glance, it's easy to confuse the two because of the word "TWO" in their names.

It's not a major issue, but it is a request to help aid the player.

Dual Wield will make a strong differentiation between both proficiency types.

And you're right, they don't need to spend their time on it because it's a matter of changing one text file in the dialog.tlk. Takes less than a minute to perform this change, and some would consider this "no time at all" :)
  • HvitrEbrithilHvitrEbrithil Member Posts: 36
    It's just so simple, like @Boaster says, so I think it should be looked into, if not by the devs, then at least by the translators for the other languages, something tells me many of them have come up with a similar solution for their own language.
  • AntonAnton Member, Moderator, Mobile Tester Posts: 513
    @PhillipDaigle please notice this one.
  • KerozevokKerozevok Member Posts: 695
    edited August 2012
    In french "two weapon" or "dual weapon", have the same signification and we use the same translation.

Edit : To be more precise the translation of "dual weapon" in french doesn't mean anything, so "dual weapon" becomes "two weapon" then "deux armes".
    Post edited by Kerozevok on
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    I'm not 100%, but I think that the DnD books also refer to it as two weapon fighting.
  • The_New_RomanceThe_New_Romance Member Posts: 839
    In German, it's yet more terrible, "Zweihändig" vs. "Zweihänder", two letters difference.
    Call "TWO WEAPON" style "Double Weapon" or "Dual Weapon" style or "Second Weapon" Fighting style. Something other than what it is. I implore you.

Two proficiencies starting with "TWO" in their names makes it easy for players to mix things up, doubt themselves, and spend extra unnecessary time trying to remember which one is which.
  • NancyButtpeachNancyButtpeach Member Posts: 38
    Placing a tool-tip icon that shows a single weapon held with both hands and two weapons crossed or held with a hand would work well. I agree that it can be confusing at first.
  • Roller12Roller12 Member Posts: 437
    man this is one of the things where i always have to think twice before placing the points there.
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    edited September 2012
    I have not once confused two handed weapon style and two weapon style, ever. The only time I can see this being an issue is if you don't fully read all of your options, and that does not necessitate a change to the game.
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    @bigdogchris I've never confused them either, but from the looks of it, this would help a lot of people without negatively affecting us in the least. If the developers have time, I say change it.
    edited September 2012
    What I would like is some consistency. I don't like that we have two proficiencies called "Single Weapon Style" and "Two Weapon Style". I would rather the name 'Single' be changed to 'One', as "One Weapon Style" better matches "Two Weapon Style".
    Why not call the Single Weapon "Free Hand" instead?
  • SeriousMikeSeriousMike Member Posts: 38
    edited September 2012

In German, it's yet more terrible, "Zweihändig" vs. "Zweihänder", two letters difference.

"Beidhändige Waffen" & "zwei Waffen"

Changing to "Dual Weapon" sounds quite easy and should be worth the (very little) effort.
    edited September 2012
    Just verified in the 2nd Edition Fighters Guide that BG uses the correct terminology for all 4 weapon styles, including Two Weapon Style.

I vote it stays as it is.
    The difference between playing on Paper versus Digitally, is that communication between DM and player can be made certain by asking questions to avoid confusion.

It's only a proposed text change. It doesn't change the mechanics or fundamentals of the proficiency itself.