Skip to content

Kagain was turned to stone and invisible at the same time!

A small band of unsavory characters were traveling west from Gullykin when they were beset upon by a reptilian creature that will turn you to stone if you look at it! "Basalisk!", exclaimed Shar-teel as she ran away as fast as she could. The beast set it's gaze upon Valduran the Blade, he turn away and fumbled for a potion vial that would make him invisible. Kagain the dwarf stumbled and stammered and the beast turned it's deadly gaze to him. "Catch!", Valduran shouted and tossed the vial over his shoulder to Kagain. Clumsily he gathered the potion and quaffed it's contents, in a panic he locked eyes with the beast at the same time. He disappeared from sight and an instant later his voice was cut off in mid scream.

At Feldepost's Inn, Shar and Val sat and pondered their next course of action. "Kagain was a great fighter, it will be a hard road ahead without him.", said Shar as she tilted back a generous gulp of ale. "He was carrying a lot of our loot, we need to try and befriend the Highhedge Mage and equip ourselves properly to fight those things. By now he should be visible, it's just a matter of figuring out where we left him.".

So I say unto you fellow adventurers, if they keep moving back and forth from Gullykin to south beregost will that random encounter eventually reboot? Will Kagain be there? Will he be visible?

lol

Comments

• GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    If on the same game-day, then yes, eventually the same ambush map will recur and he'll still be on it. I've used that method to retrieve some loot I couldn't carry from an ambush.

If you sleep (or use up a lot of time travelling elsewhere), then I'm not so sure ... maybe he'll eventually decay away, in the same way as corpses, or loot left lying on the ground? But maybe not, perhaps he'll be there permanently until you rescue him. Let us know how it goes.
  • hisplshispls Member Posts: 166
    What are the odds of that though?
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    Seems likely that he'll be there. In a other thread (12 Bandits) someone awesome (@tresset) figured out that ambushes were related to the time of the day so you may only get that ambush if you travel at a certain time of the day.
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    hispls said:

What are the odds of that though?

@hispls
    Actually I suspect it's pretty easy to replicate this. Basilisk gaze is depicted as a projectile that takes a little to reach your character, assuming your character hasn't done anything already in the round, then drinking a potion is almost instantaneous. Going invisible won't stop a projectile that's mid-flight, so if he fails his save vs polymorph, u got yourself an invisible statue. :smile:
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    You wouldn't even need to go there at the same time of day. You just need to get the same ambush area. What appears in the area depends on time of day, but the area is the same regardless of when you go there.
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    Tresset said:

You wouldn't even need to go there at the same time of day. You just need to get the same ambush area. What appears in the area depends on time of day, but the area is the same regardless of when you go there.

Who knew the monsters of Faerun kept to a schedule. :smile:
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    Heindrich said:

Who knew the monsters of Faerun kept to a schedule. :smile:

Er ... someone in the coding team, presumably!