Skip to content

FMT tips?

Hi everyone! I'm not new to the game but I've never managed to finish it and I want to give it another shot. I'm looking to play an elf FMT and I was wondering if anyone had some good advice, especially about equipment and tactics.

Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks for your help :)

Comments

• hisplshispls Member Posts: 166
    You'll be very slow leveling unless you plan to solo. Just about every weapon in the game has some good options except club, bows are very helpful. Most NPCs you'd pick up have proficiency In long or short bow so picking crossbow for your PC is a good move if you plan to pick up a party.

You certainly DO NOT need a powergaming class to beat the game or have fun so do make sure it's what you want to /like to play and not just you read it's super powerful. BG trilogy is a lot of play time so make a character you like, set him up how you like and enjoy. There's virtually nothing you can do that will make the game unbeatable.
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    I think the main choice is to determine between dual wielding and two handed weapons.

I went with staff and bow straight up for mine and added two handed sword to wield Carsomyr with UAI.

Mislead backstabs with Whirlwind Attack and Staff of the Ram is totally obscene.

I never had a problem leveling with a full party as your bhaalspawn is ahead of other characters anyway and the leveling experience just gives everybody in your party a chance to shine really.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    Hello, @jubango and welcome to the forum.

Here're a couple of threads about FMT tips:
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/29116/how-f-m-ts-fare-in-a-full-party
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/30287/advice-for-running-f-m-t
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/34372/to-use-a-triple-class-or-not
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/39377/weapon-proficencies-f-m-t-for-the-entire-saga

Overall, this character is one of the most powerful in the game, if used right. Just learn to use all your advantages: buff spells from your mage help to your fighter part, while a thieving part gives you backstabs and traps. Despite the common opinion this class is not for a party play, it's completely fine in a party.

Calling here FMT experts, like @Gotural and @FinneousPJ
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    There's already a load information here, wow, @Gallowglass. I'll say just use the Sleep spell, a longbow and wands in the beginning. Don't worry about playing a FMT; all classes need to be played similarly in the beginning IMO.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356

There's already a load information here, wow, @Gallowglass.

I'll interpret that as meaning that you broadly agree with my wall of text. But as I said at the start, it's all just theory because I've recently been thinking about how to play F/M/T but haven't yet actually done so. Since you're being cited as "FMT expert", I'm delighted that you seem to approve!

(Since I've also got other characters rolled up and waiting to go, it'll probably be a while yet before I actually get around to my F/M/T run.)
  • jubangojubango Member Posts: 11
    Wow, I wasn't expecting this much of a response! Thanks @Gallowglass for all that info! Yeah, I figured it would play a lot like a F/T for most of the game, just with the advantage of mage buffs. I hadn't considered going two-handed but now I'm definitely going to give it some more thought . I was sort of planning on dual wielding just because I want to use the Scarlet Ninja-to but I can see there are definitely advantages to using staves or polearms.

I guess it just comes down to whether I want to be more "fightery" and stand on the front line or more "thiefy" and sneak around backstabbing dudes. I've heard that the shine can rub off of backstabbing as you get farther into BG2 though. Is that true? Does it start to get a lot worse?
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    The later bosses in BG2 tend to be immune to backstab, although lots of their minions aren't. Also you're less likely to get a one-hit kill because even the minions have more HP. So yes, backstab is a less significant advantage than earlier, but it remains useful at least until you're getting close to the big Final Battle of ToB. For much of the game I'm planning a more "thiefy" approach, but by the time I'm in ToB, I'm intending that my F/M/T will be mainly "fightery", so I'm not too worried about backstab being less useful then.
    Okay, that makes sense. So at this point I'm looking at starting with longbows and a decent backstabbing weapon (undecided, probably daggers or longswords), grabbing Two-Weapon style as I go through BGee, and getting scimitars and clubs as I work my way through BG2ee. As I understand it, proficiency doesn't matter so much for Belm or Scarlet, because the main benefit of having them in your off-hand is the speed enchantment, so it should be okay to get those more slowly.

Probably something like this:

Longbows *
    Daggers **
    Single Weapon *

Two Weapon **

Scimitars *

Clubs **

Scimitars **

Thanks for all the help, everyone!
  • GoturalGotural Member Posts: 1,229
    Thanks for the tag @bengoshi !

Here I'll speak only about BG1, since it is where the topic was created.

I would definitely advice you to choose a ranged weapon at level 1. It will be awesome for BG1.
    You can either go for Longbow ** which is nice because the ammo management is easier, plus there are some cool arrows available (biting, detonation, dispelling) or Dagger ** which is more polyvalent I think. You will be able to use the Dagger of Venom which is incredible, and also the Silver Dagger (very very convenient to finally have a Fighter with ** in this weapon). Plus, you'll be a bit stronger early on because you can equip a heavy shield at the same time.

I usually go Dagger ** Scimitar ** then at level 3 and 6 I go for dual-wielding. I usually end the game by dual wielding Drizzt's scimitars which are really effective both for backstabs and sustained damage.

Concerning strategies, I would focus on using the Sleep spell plus your ranged weapons to deal with most of the early game. Later on you can continue to do that by using multiple Web spells while pelting your foes from afar, or you can become a very powerful melee Fighter with some buffs (Spirit Armor from another Mage in your party, + Blur + Mirror Image + Haste (from the potion or the spell)).

I wouldn't use backstabs too much until the end game, there are some risks involved when you go into melee range, and the damage multiplier isn't that great until x3.

Concerning Thief skills, you'll plenty of points considering you are an Elf with 19 natural Dex (20 with the Tome, even more with DUHM innate). I would focus on utility if you are the only Thief in the party. If there are two or more Thieves, you could put some points on stealth : something like 50 in Hide in Shadows and 50 in Move Silently will make you able to initiate most battles with a good backstab.
    A small amount in Detect Illusion is always a good idea because you can, if needed, cast Invisibility on yourself and wait for the Detect Illusion skill to work, even with only 10 points.

You can also spend points in Set Traps, because you earn another use of the ability at level 6, then 11 and because the ability improves at level 11, there are no differences between a F/M/T's traps or a single class Thief's traps.

Hope it will help you ! I'm still here if you have other questions. :smile:
    @Gotural, would you change your recommendations any considering that I plan to play through the whole saga? I mean, two-weapon seems strong enough that once you have twf and scimitars you're basically set through BG2, and the other pips can be spent on utility weapons, right?
    I would still go for Dagger ** Scimitar **, then two-weapon style **

In BG2, I would chose a combinaison of Two-handed sword ** (for Carsomyr), Quatterstaff ** (for Staff of the Ram / Staff of the Magi), Two-handed weapon style * (the second pip is totally unneeded for a F/M/T) or even Long Swords ** depending on your party.
    If you play with Keldorn for example, he should use Carsomyr so you should not take ** in two-handed swords.

Scimitars are such strong and versatile weapons that you should fight with these 90%+ of the time. The only important thing in my opinion is ** in Scimitar and Dual-Wielding, you can do fine with anything else.
    Gotural said:

I would still go for Dagger ** Scimitar **, then two-weapon style **

In BG2, I would chose a combinaison of Two-handed sword ** (for Carsomyr), Quatterstaff ** (for Staff of the Ram / Staff of the Magi), Two-handed weapon style * (the second pip is totally unneeded for a F/M/T) or even Long Swords ** depending on your party.
    If you play with Keldorn for example, he should use Carsomyr so you should not take ** in two-handed swords.

Scimitars are such strong and versatile weapons that you should fight with these 90%+ of the time. The only important thing in my opinion is ** in Scimitar and Dual-Wielding, you can do fine with anything else.

Only 4 pips available in bg2 with the level cap so there isn't enough to do all of that. I think that there is very clearly a definite choice between dual wielding (scimitars and katanas) or big weapons (staff of the ram and Carsomyr). Either is a strong choice with different advantages.

One perk of big weapons is less micromanagement between ranged and melee - and on that note I'd recommend short bow rather than longbow (sure longbow is stronger in bg1 but you will decimate all opposition with any ranged weapon anyway until bg2 and in bg2 short bows are just so much stronger if you want to keep ranged combat as an option).

Remember that you have a total of 10 pips to allocate. The best guide to deciding is to consider what NPCs you want to bring.
    That's totally right, that's why I said to choose a combinaison of the weapons I listed. Maybe my sentence didn't mean what I thought it would mean (My english is far from perfect).
    What I wanted to say is that you need to make a choice between differents setups, depending on your party.

Concerning the ranged weapons, I agree about Short Bows being superior to Long Bows in BG2. Still, BG1 is quite an important and long part of the trilogy, plus the F/M/T is not the best archer of the game. So I would stick with Daggers as ranged weapons.
    Gotural said:

That's totally right, that's why I said to choose a combinaison of the weapons I listed. Maybe my sentence didn't mean what I thought it would mean (My english is far from perfect).
    What I wanted to say is that you need to make a choice between differents setups, depending on your party.

Concerning the ranged weapons, I agree about Short Bows being superior to Long Bows in BG2. Still, BG1 is quite an important and long part of the trilogy, plus the F/M/T is not the best archer of the game. So I would stick with Daggers as ranged weapons.

Maybe the load out looks something like:
    Setup A:
    Dagger**
    Single Weapon Style*
    Scimitar**
    Two Weapon Style**
    Club**
    Two Weapon Style***

Setup B:
    Staff**
    Shortbow**
    Two handed weapon style*
    Two handed sword**
    Halberd**
    Two handed weapon style**

Party members will adjust the choices slightly of course. If you have Mazzy and/or Keldorn you might be better with Set A. If you have Jaheira you might be better with set B or swapping scimitar for Shortsword. If you have 2 characters that can benefit from speed weapons you might be better with set B etc etc.