Skip to content

Is getting planescape reallly worth it?

xLegionxxLegionx Member Posts: 197
edited August 2012 in Site Resources
So I'm considering getting this game since apparently everyone says its amazing so I'm just curious as to what makes this game so awesome compared to baldur's gate? Someone tell me. :)

Comments

• DougPiranhaDougPiranha Member Posts: 50
    Much, much better story (and, to balance it out, much, much worse combat).
    DiscoCatCommunardAntonAndyr
  • WardWard Member Posts: 1,305
    I got it but never played. I don't like the setting.
  • raywindraywind Member Posts: 289
    I dont know how to say this exept like this. The story is better than 95% out of all fantasy books period. combat is the only flaw in it.
    CommunardJaysamaMoiraAndyr
  • xLegionxxLegionx Member Posts: 197
    That's what I'm saying Ward I mean I don't like that you start off in Sigil as a...nobody nobody knows you know what I mean? I like to start on planet earth. Don't like the fact the combat is bad since I prefer combat over the story. But since the story apparently is so good to almost all players of the game maybe I'll get it. I just don't want to play it for like 10 min then shelf it already...
  • SabotinSabotin Member Posts: 38
    I'd say the game does a better job subjugating the game itself to the story, with companions being closely tied to it, mechanics changed and customized at every turn and dialogues being very expansive and responses often depending on your stats. It's not so much a tale of heroics but of self-discovery.
    Jaysama
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    The interface and combat are really bad in it, but the tale is awesome. I never made it far in the game, but that is because DA, ME and others seem to call every time I start it.
    Jaysama
  • killingwithasmilekillingwithasmile Member Posts: 19
    Put it this way, the combat system is still better than 80% of the third rate mainstream crap today.
    CommunardJaysamaTr_ond
  • DougPiranhaDougPiranha Member Posts: 50
    Yeah, the combat has it's perks. Spells were loads of fun, with unique spells like missile of patience, or insanely animated ones like Mechanus cannon.
    CommunardJaysamaAnton
  • KlonoaKlonoa Member Posts: 93
    Its taking me a while to get used to it, but I also heard it was good so giving it a chance. Definitely not my favourite setting though.
  • spacejawsspacejaws Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 389
    It's a slow burn but a couple hours in and you'll kiss all your responsibilities goodbye, build a Torment shed in the back garden and curiously ponder any archway you come across.
    CommunardJaysamaMoiraTr_ond
  • JarlaxleJarlaxle Member Posts: 105
    Imagine the most beautiful novel you've ever read, with all the feelings that you felt: nothing compared to Planescape:Torment.
    You will not find the epic battles of BG but trust me, do not miss it, you will regret.
    And those who have played know why I used "regret" ;)
    Jaysama
  • WardWard Member Posts: 1,305
    I just wish it could be more 'real world'.
  • ConphantusConphantus Member Posts: 51
    The story and writing in PS:T is really fantastic! I can't think of a game that even come close in this aspect. Fighting is horrible though, but then again you don't really have to fight much in the game if you choose to go the intelligent/wise/charismatic route. The only thing I don't like much about the game is that the "different" endings is a bit too similar.
  • JaysamaJaysama Member Posts: 66
    The thing that seperates this game from all of the others is the immerision you get from playing. It's a tricky thing to describe since all of the Baldur's Gate games and expansions had incredible immerision, but the differance is that in Planescape they treat the game like an interactive book. There's text describing so much of the environment, and the people who you talk to that constantly emote to liven the discussions.

The downfall of Baldur's Gate is most of the text is dialogue. It's hardley noticed because people that enjoy these types of games have great imaginations so it's easy to think of your own adventure as it takes place, but in Torment you really get handed down a story you'll never forget.

I think Baldur's gate could use the same added text, and I created a post that is fueled by hopes and dreams that I hope someone that can make a differance checks out!

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/3523/additional-roleplaying-and-flavor-text-added-to-the-game
  • xLegionxxLegionx Member Posts: 197
    Well...fine I guess. I don't like that it has poor combat or the setting BUT since everyone says its such a great story to play in I'll give it a shot. Thanks everyone for your posts! :)
    Jaysama
  • JaysamaJaysama Member Posts: 66
    xLegionx said:

Well...fine I guess. I don't like that it has poor combat or the setting BUT since everyone says its such a great story to play in I'll give it a shot. Thanks everyone for your posts! :)

That's just an opinion. (On the combat)

Sure it's an old game and not up to the BG standards but I thoroughly enjoyed the game's combat system.

• YovanethYovaneth Member Posts: 691
    Regarding combat: there's just two fights in the game you absolutely have no choice about (no, I'm not about to spoiler it!). All the others can be avoided in one way or another. Now that makes for good RPG!
  • XzarXzar Member Posts: 215
    I tried it, but could not get into it and stopped playing after a hour or so. Guess the only reason i'll try again if EE comes.

As for why -
    1)I really hated that I wasnt able to choose class at the beginning. Protagonist felt forced for me, I could not relate with him.
    2)The setting was too high fantasy-ish for my taste. One of reason I like BG so much, is that its setting perfectly melts magic and realism.
  • trinittrinit Member Posts: 705
    edited August 2012
    you better like reading. planescape features third person writing that is much richer and deeper in narrative. for example; any situation on screen, like dialogue or interaction can be described in detail, allowing for incredible depth of immersion in the environment. detail in this game is astounding.

for example, you know the generic peasants stapled around town with a generic line to say each? well here every passing random person on the street can be a whole little world in itself in just a few sentences.

main plot does not entail saving the world or planes. no big hero journey, but, the journey is EPIC. world and your history slowly reveal itself and in the end, manage to produce meaningful result for you, player.

the game is philosopher among the RPG-s. true, if you want to read about philosophy seriously, you are better off with hegel or wittgenstein, but the game borrows heavily from philosophy and introduces it in it's own game-like way. it is interesting to see how the world would look like if some of conceptual assumptions about belief and self would be a fact. better yet, it does not try to teach you it offers you a mechanic to play with.

spells are beautiful. the icons, the effects. really. damn.

combat is crappy, character development is crappy. graphic is zoomed in and not perfect ( i remember i was put off by the initial scene in the mortuary). gameplay can be choppy. do not even think to play without all the patches available.
    altogether it's not bad, but it can be improved a lot.

choice. this game really has it. you will drown in it. i played it more then 10 times and i still cant remember all the stuff hidden in the game.

oh, is it obvious yet i'm a fanboy ? O.o
    really i know i sound like worn out PR, but if anything in those posts picked your interest, give it a try. you may not like it or get into it (i was not attracted to it initially, not until i got past the first dungeon)

for me this game clearly demonstrates the artistic power of the game medium, without losing any of the "fun" on that merit. maybe i'm just too nostalgic. the game managed to make me cry some manly tears on occasion.

edit- typos
    CuvlordkimTr_ond
  • CuvCuv Member, Developer Posts: 2,535
    @trinit Your post made me weep... digging my copy out! Been too long.
    trinit
  • trinittrinit Member Posts: 705
    @Cuv :)

if there is any justice, we'll see planescape:EE soon enough.
    lordkim
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    xLegionx said:

So I'm considering getting this game since apparently everyone says its amazing so I'm just curious as to what makes this game so awesome compared to baldur's gate? Someone tell me. :)

@xLegionx
    When my floating skull companion yelled at a harlot, she yelled back and he gained experience from being insulted.
    When I gave my entrails to my mage partymember, he devoured them and gave me a new spell.
    When I talked with my fighter/mage partymember about his beliefs, we had several conversations about the hidden meanings of his teachings, giving us bonus wisdom and XP each.
    When I kissed my tiefling partymember, it was so hot I gained Fire Resistance.
    When I touched an ancient suit of armor it rose up and swore to join me if Justice was served through me.
    When I met someone who glorified the act of dying, I stabbed myself in the heart, died, woke up and told him to do the same before I did it to him, causing him to pee himself.
    When I finished the game, one question kept haunting me; What can change the nature of a man?

Get this game, play it with high Intelligence, Wisdom and Charisma and let the multiverse consume your conciousness.
    You will not be dissappointed.
    Nordom
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    If Trent Oster is cursing BG UI code I wonder what he'll say about Planescape's code. More than one developer has said Pllanescape's source code is a mess :)
    Tr_ond
  • AntonAnton Member, Moderator, Mobile Tester Posts: 513
    Heck! I almost made a tattoo with it back in the days...
    Nordom
  • fighter_mage_thieffighter_mage_thief Member Posts: 262
    Great story, many interesting characters (PC, party members and non-playables), lots of unique character skins, many different ways to play the game, your stats can dramatically affect the choices you have available in the game and the general gameplay experience, multiple endings, and more. A lot of thought went into the game. And what do you know, the three playable classes of the main character are fighter, mage, and thief.
  • SirK8SirK8 Member Posts: 527
    @Drugar - you just made me want to play this game.
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    @SirK8
    Success! Another soul gained!
    /fistpump
  • KieaKiea Member Posts: 13
    @Drugar - you're making me want to play this game as well
    Drugar