Skip to content

Guide how to complete both Firkraag quests - The child and the deed

DargnonDargnon Member Posts: 31
How to complete both quests "Rescue Garren's child from Firkraag" AND "Retrieving the deed for the Windspear hills" and get 80K XP for each party member + 86K shared XP

http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/BG2/Walkthrough/wspear.php#dun301

There are two ways to resolve the Garren and Firkraag confrontation (before you even fight against Firkraag). You can either rescue the child, or retrieve the deed for Windspear Hills from Garren for Firkraag. For each task, you get 40k XP for EACH PARTY MEMBER. Normally, you can complete only one, because if you accept the quest for Firkraag, the child dies.

However, there is a way to complete both quests and get both rewards.

1) Steal the deed from Garren
2) Enter the Firkraag lair, get close enough to Charm the Mage there. Once charmed, move him to your party. Steal the prison key from him. Do not talk to Firkraag.
3) Go back to level 2, rescue the child, get 22k XP
4) Go back to Firkraag. Tell him you need to rescue the child, then offer to get the deed for him
5) Talk to him again, give him the deed, get 40k XP each party member
6) Go to Garren and his rescued child, get 40k XP each party member
7) Go kill Firkraag once you feel like it, get 64K XP
bbearjackjackNoonenqenqNonnahswriterSkiesemiticgoddessEpicPainjoluvlolienBalrog99Aedansarevok57ilduderinoNeonfisk

Comments

• NoonNoon Member Posts: 202
    I didn't even know you could work for Firkraag, is it an evil path only ?
    lolien
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    Yes, it's evil.
    lolienAedan
  • xzar_montyxzar_monty Member Posts: 631
    So, what's the point in cheating like that? If your intention is to get experience points, why not make it easier and simply use the console to give yourself as many as you please and knock yourself out?
    recklessheart
  • bbearbbear Member Posts: 1,180
    Two comments:

1) You cant do the evil quest if your pc's alignment is good.
    2) You can exploit exp even further. Here is how:

-In the dialogue when Garren offers you to take shelter at his cabin, answer "I dont need your charity".
    -Go straight to the entrance of the Cave, Garren will spawn there and ask you to rescue his child (just like what would happen in the cabin minus the fight).
    -Rescue his child.
    -Since there are 2 Garren (one at entrance and the other one at the cabin), you can get twice the exp for rescuing his child.
    enqenqjackjacklolienFlashburn
  • DargnonDargnon Member Posts: 31
    Thats interesting find! And yea it is definitelly taking it much further.

One more thing, as evil char, I have found it fun to actually travel to Athkatla before resolving the quest and let myself by attacked by group of Knights of something. Good fight that spices up the story.
  • enqenqenqenq Member Posts: 499
    edited March 2014
    Here's even more xp! Kill Garren and his child afterwards.
    jackjack
  • MacHurtoMacHurto Member Posts: 731
    Didnt know you could work for the dragon. I need to play evil more often
    elminsterjackjacklolien
  • SkieSkie Member Posts: 90
    This works nicely. I would just like to add a few points from my experience.

I wasn't able to Charm the mage. I ended up using Dominate. This turns him hostile though, so once you go up and back he will attack, which causes the dragon to be hostile as well. To get around this, once you steal the key, you can have the mage more as far away as you can from the entrance. I placed him all the way to the right without revealing the dragon. Then when you're back, you can speak to the dragon from the left without seeing the mage, and the dragon won't be hostile.

A pickpocket skill of 70 isn't enough to steal the key. Had to drink a potion as well.

My druid found this solution very nice. Child is free, and once the dragon is dead, no one has the deed to control the land. :)
    semiticgoddessbob_venglolien
  • GregorIIGregorII Member Posts: 14
    edited June 2020
    I'm so glad I stumbled onto this thread during my first run-thru as an evil PC. It was so much fun playing both sides, and even though I'll probably never play an evil character again, I just may make this maneuver a standard tactic, that. I pick up the deed from the dragon's corpse, drop it off on Garren's table before leaving Windspear Hills, and everybody's a winner!
    Zaxaresiosfrustration
  • iosfrustrationiosfrustration Member Posts: 153
    Thankyou for posting this. I had absolutely no idea it was possible to work for the dragon