Skip to content

Any way to become immune to dispel/remove magic if you're not part mage?

Mages have their toy for this, spell immunity: abjuration, which makes dispels bounce off you harmlessly, but since I'm currently playing a ranger/cleric, it makes me wonder whether or not it's possible with them too. There's a new belt that can cast globe of minor invulnerability, which is supposed to protect against level 3 or lower spells, but Firkraag's remove magic didn't really seem to care about that tiny fact.

Does shield of the archons provide any resistance, or maybe spell turning from the book of infinite spells? It's been a while since I've played a high level non-mage char, and I can't seem to recall any tricks for dispel immunity it seems...

Comments

• GamingFreakGamingFreak Member Posts: 639
    Well they can't directly be targeted by spells if Invisibility or any form of that is cast on them, though I'm not sure if Dispel's wide radius would still affect an invisible creature or not. Other than that I don't know what to tell you.
  • MungriMungri Member Posts: 1,645
    Dispel still hits you if youre invis and its targetted on the ground nearby.
  • BerconBercon Member Posts: 486
    Spell Immunity: Abjuration is the only protection against Dispel/Remove magic. It bypasses everything else.
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    edited November 2013
    Also, those spells are cast at the caster's level, which explains why Firkraag was able to use it successfully.
  • ryuken87ryuken87 Member Posts: 563
    Shield of the Archons should work.
  • DinsdalePiranhaDinsdalePiranha Member Posts: 419
    @Bercon: well, bummer. iirc in IWD minor globe of invulnerability did protect against it, but it seems like that didn't make it to BG then. thank you for the clarification, luckily it's not like every second enemy has it anyway, and I can just throw an immune mage at 'em, then go in and finish the job.

@nano: yeah, didn't have boots of speed at that point, but I remember that "trick"... hell, I even had a rule in IWD (dispel there is a hell lot more common that in BG2) that if I saw green (iirc that was the abjuration casting color), that enemy either had to die right this second, or I've did my best to valiantly get the hell out of there :)
  • MungriMungri Member Posts: 1,645
    Its a pain when you have an inquisitor, and all your party members are affected with horrible statuses, and you click dispell in a panic, and all negative effects are gone, but also all your buffs are wiped.

But seriously, Inquisitors rock for their dispel and true sight, I just wish it didnt strip your buffs when cast by a party member.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    ryuken87 said:

Shield of the Archons should work.

Yea this would work :)
  • who_is_danielwho_is_daniel Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 98
    What about using EEKeeper, there must be a way to make yourself permanently immune to abjuration or enemy dispelling.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    edited April 2015
    If you don't have Spell Immunity, generally the best solution is simply to run away from the effect. There are almost no other ways to get immunity to Dispel Magic, and anyone with a haste effect can escape the area of effect in time, if you respond quickly enough.

@who_is_daniel: I don't know if EEKeeper works differently, but in Shadowkeeper you can certainly make yourself immune to both dispel magic and abjuration in general. You'd have to go to the Affects [sic] tab, add a new effect, and give it the following parameters:

Immunity to the Dispel Magic effect:
    Type: 0x00000065
    Parameter 1: 0
    Parameter 2: 58
    Flags: 0x00000009
    Time: 0
    Probability: 100
    Target: 0x00000002

Immunity to all Abjuration spells (even beneficial ones, mind you):
    Type: 0x000000CC
    Parameter 2: 1

For immunity to only Abjuration attack spells, plus Ruby Ray of Reversal (an Alteration spell):
    Type: 0x000000CD
    Parameter 2: 4
    This will also make you immune to Wing Buffet, like the vanilla Spell Shield.
    Post edited by semiticgoddess on
    Wow, good information thank you!
    Dose this look right?
    @who_is_daniel: Looks about right. Test it out. If it doesn't work, make a new save and check it with EEKeeper to see if the effect is still there. If it's not, you may have to change the thing that says "Duration," since the effect might be tagged to wear off eventually (not all effects are permanent).

The effect in your image should protect you against all magic attacks except for Dispel Magic, which doesn't count as a "Magic Attack" secondary type. Dispel Magic has no secondary type.

It also won't protect against Breach, which I just noticed also has no secondary type (though my install may be different, as I have SCS2 and SR both installed). For immunity to that, use:

Type: 0x000000CE
    Parameter 2: 0

And put "SPWI513" in the Resource 0 key. You could also use this to get immunity to the Dispel Magic spells by creating additional effects with these parameters, but replace SPWI513 with SPCL231 (Inquisitor), SPIN112 (Branwen), SPPR303 (priest), SPWI326 (wizard), and SPWI302 (Remove Magic). There are also some other spell files SPIN703, SPIN866, which also dispel magic but I don't know when you see those or where they're used. This will give you immunity to the spells while still allowing you to be affected by other sources of Dispel Magic (like Carsomyr or Planetar attacks).
    Great responce, thank you. I will do that tonight after work.
  • jesterdesujesterdesu Member Posts: 373
    It's been mentioned already but most obv answer is magic immunity.
    @jesterdesu: Magic immunity? Do you mean magic resistance, a Protection from Magic scroll, spell level immunity as in MGOI, or something else?

MR won't block it, a Protection from Magic scroll dispels your magic anyway, and MGOI can't be cast by non-mages. The OP was looking for a potential Ranger/Cleric option, so the mage spells aren't available.