Skip to content

Wand of Fear requries target

BoasterBoaster Member Posts: 622
edited November 2012 in Fixed
Wand of Fear requires a target, even though it's a radius of effect spell like the Fire Ball.

Wand of Fear basically casts Horror, right? Horror can target a location and affect nearby hostiles.
Post edited by Balquo on
BhryaenDukeOfSuffolkAndreaColombo

Comments

• KerozevokKerozevok Member Posts: 695
    edited August 2012
    Moreover the fear effect doesn't work very well, the creatures often attack our party despite theirs "yellow circles".

Edit : After check, there is no problem with the wand of fear (target > any point within range).
    Post edited by Kerozevok on
  • aldainaldain Member Posts: 303
    edited August 2012
    Kerozevok said:

Moreover the fear effect doesn't work very well, the creatures often attack our party despite theirs "yellow circle".

Edit : After check, there is no problem with the wand of fear (target > any point within range).

It would be really nice if the fear effect was consistent, as you say. On paper Horror is awesome, but in practice it always ends up with enemies running around for 1-2 seconds, then resuming attacking. Kind of makes the spell (and the wand) near useless...

Edit: Though curiously Horror always works perfectly on my own party. Guessing it's the AI scripts that somehow overrides the effect?
    edited August 2012
    I agree, I never cast horror, the fear effect works correctly only on our party.

The fear effect (like all "mental effects") is in the code, I can't say what is wrong.
  • BoasterBoaster Member Posts: 622
    I have tried using Wand of Fear in BG1 and it requires a target, rather than targeting an area.
    Strange... I've checked for BG1/BG2 with NI and I don't see any problem.
  • BhryaenBhryaen Member Posts: 2,874
    Must be using the BG2 version in BGEE... Not an issue. Well, it was for 8 of the 12 Gibberlings I panicked with a single Wand of Fear charge. ;-)
    @Bhryaen BG1 or BG2, it's the same, the fear effect doesn't work, but if you say that it works on BGEE... That's wonderful. ^^
    @Kerozevok
    The fear (Panic) effect itself is another matter- something apparently fairly broken in BG2- but the Wand of Fear does indeed work in BGEE in terms of having AoE targeting rather than requiring the targeting of an individual.
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    Consider this fixed.
    edited September 2012
    You know, this works the same (targets by area, not by individual) in both vBG1 and vBG2 as well. The OP is just... not relevant.

But @Kerozevok's point is definitely a bug. The Panic opcode (24) just seems to do its number effectively on party members, not enemies. This is confirmed in both vBG1 and vBG2 where large groups of enemies can be made entirely yellow-circled but yet they go on attacking as if still red ones...
    Kerozevok
  • BalquoBalquo Member, Developer Posts: 2,746
    edited November 2012
    OP fixed. Pretty sure the other issue has been reported in the beta section.