Skip to content

The Fishermen and the Priestess possible bug

epicrakshasasepicrakshasas Member Posts: 71
I'm not sure if this is a bug, but I cannot finish The Fishermen and the Priestess quest. Even after talking to Tenya and agreeing to confront the fishermen, she is still hostile. I got the bowl from the fishermen and she was still hostile. I even tried charming her and she would not accept the bowl. Any ideas?

Comments

• Fiendish_WarriorFiendish_Warrior Member Posts: 309
    In one set of events, you have to get her near death before she talks more. Try using your fist so that you don't kill her.
  • epicrakshasasepicrakshasas Member Posts: 71
    I talked to her after bringing her down to badly injured. She was not dead yet.
  • PingwinPingwin Member Posts: 262
    I'm 99% sure that in vanilla BG, I had a problem with that encounter. I'd badly wounded her prompting her to stop the fight, turn neutral and negotiate. An arrow or magic missile was however paused mid flight whilst the dialogue occurred. The moment the dialogue ended, the now neutral Tenya was struck by the missile that was fired whilst she was originally hostile and it prompted her to turn hostile again.

AFAIK, the only way round that was to reload. Since then in encounters where someone is hostile and turns neutral after being wounded I just have one character attacking them to avoid accidentally hitting them again after the fight is over.
  • AlbinoWyvernAlbinoWyvern Member Posts: 32
    I've had this happen to me too, even when I made absolutely sure not to attack her after she surrenders, she would still stay hostile. It's a bit upsetting to be unable to finish the quest, so I hope this will be addressed soon. ^^
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    Hmm... I have tried to find the cause of this issue before, but to no avail. The problem is that it almost always works right and is difficult to reproduce. If we cannot find the cause we cannot fix it. If any of you can make this happen every time (or even almost every time) from a saved game then I would be very interested in seeing it.

I suspect it is most likely a scripting issue and you have to do something kinda specific to get it to happen.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited April 2015
    Also can you lay out exactly the steps you took OP?

Like did you talk to her first, then talk to the fisherman, then talk to her again?

Did you talk to the fishermen, then talk to her, then talk to the fishermen again?

etc
    I talked to the fishermen, then I talked to the girl and she would not change out of hostile, then I went and got the bowl from the fishermen, but was unable to give it to the girl as she was still hostile.
    So you talked to the fisherman having previously never talked to the girl. You then talked to the girl, she turned hostile but wouldn't stop being hostile. You then went back to the fishermen, got the bowl, and she was still hostile?

Hmm...well this is her class script

IF
    HitBy([PC],CRUSHING)
    GlobalLT("TenyaHit","GLOBAL",2)
    !Global("HelpJebadoh","GLOBAL",0)
    THEN
    RESPONSE #100
    SetGlobal("TenyaHit","GLOBAL",1)
    DestroyItem("minhp1") // No such index
    Dialogue([PC])
    END

IF
    See(NearestEnemyOf(Myself))
    HaveSpell(CLERIC_COMMAND) // SPPR102.SPL (Command)
    !StateCheck(NearestEnemyOf(Myself),STATE_SLEEPING)
    !StateCheck(NearestEnemyOf(Myself),STATE_HELPLESS)
    THEN
    RESPONSE #100
    Spell(NearestEnemyOf(Myself),CLERIC_COMMAND) // SPPR102.SPL (Command)
    END

The only thing I can think of is that charname needs to hit her with a blunt weapon (which includes fists). Past that I'm not sure what the cause of this issue could be.
    edited April 2015
    @elminster I noticed the reference to "CRUSHING" too, but it seems to not matter what type of damage you do to her. Perhaps it is a similar thing to how mages are referenced in script with "LONG_BOW". I suspect it is just a quirk of the scripting language...

Edit: Don't quote me on this though. I am not entirely sure I know what I am talking about here.
    @Tresset does the "PC" mean any character under your control or just charname? That is really the only other thing I can think of.
    @elminster I believe it means any character under your control.
  • proccoprocco Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 915
    I was able to finish that quest on my current play through with no problems. However, it doesn't seem like the priestesses in the temple in Baldur's Gate got the memo. Isn't there some extra dialog there or reward? Anyway, those priestesses went to meet Umberlee sooner than they expected...some misunderstanding about why Coran's hand was in one of their pockets ;0
    edited April 2015
    @elminster What exactly is the "RESPONSE #100"?

elminster What exactly is the "RESPONSE #100"?

Well, I think "RESPONSE #100" means that the script will do what is under it 100% of the time the conditions above the "THEN" are met. In some cases there are scripts with things like "RESPONSE #25" and "RESPONSE #75" and that makes it do what is under them that percentage of the time.

Again, I am not sure I am completely correct on this...
    edited April 2015

@elminster What exactly is the "RESPONSE #100"?

From my understanding its not relevant in this case. Its basically the thing you put just before any actions you are planning to have in a script (if you check other dialogue scripts you'll see that it is very common). You can find more info here

http://www.pocketplane.net/tutorials/simscript.html
    edited April 2015
    Tresset said:

elminster What exactly is the "RESPONSE #100"?

Well, I think "RESPONSE #100" means that the script will do what is under it 100% of the time the conditions above the "THEN" are met. In some cases there are scripts with things like "RESPONSE #25" and "RESPONSE #75" and that makes it do what is under them that percentage of the time.

Again, I am not sure I am completely correct on this...
    Based on the link I provided as I understand it is based on the value of the numbers relative to eachother. So you could have say RESPONSE #100 followed by a RESPONSE #50 all that would mean is that the #50 would happen 1/3 of the time (50/150).