Believe it or not, in my opinion the BG 2 artists messed almost everything up compared to the BG 1 style - and I don`t understand why!
As you read this provocative statement you may either say to yourself "Is this guy mad?" or you may probably think "Damn right man, I feel you!". By all means, I`ll give you some examples why I feel this way:
1. The Fireball animation - Do I really need to explain this? Yeah, I thought so
2. The Flaming Swords - Same as above. "Hey looki, a Flaming Sword! Huh? Where are the flames after all?"
3. Those shields - oh my god! Anyway, thanks to Erephine for dealing with that "problem"!
4. What about those helmets? Oh man, those Flaming Fist pot-helmets were so awesome! I killed the guard on the road to Beregost (or was it Nashkell?) just to get his helmet! Oh, and the soldiers from Amn in Nashkell - I loved those evil-looking, winged helmets (which were also worn by the Battle Horrors).
But what happened to them in BG 2? Some clunky, weird looking, horned helmets. (Okay, the model with the panache on the helmet looked badass, though). This led me to the habit of only using ion stones and shedding crocodile tears while remembering the "good ol' Bg 1 times"...
5. The clumsy 2-handed weapon "thrusting" animation in BG2. I always felt like "Damn, my warrior almost fell over his own sword again, is he drunk?!"
6. The paperdolls...
7. The UI - Oh, that stone-themed UI looked so harmonious and well-themed!
8. The avatars - in BG 2 females chars looked way too much big imo, back in BG 1 they were way more "fragile and feminine"
But - I have confidence and hope that the devs will do their best in order to restore this familiar, old "BG 1" feeling and I'm really curious about your upcoming UI!
Guys: I think it`s a great idea to incorporate Erephine's work. I hope you remember the great BG 1 artwork from time to time and will give it some love, whenever possible!