Skip to content

Help with the Polar Bear spirits - loads of spoilers.

I'm a bit embarrassed to say this but I need some serious help on the Burial Isle. After I have the conversation with the Polar Bear Guardian Spirit, I keep losing the battle. So I have some questions.

1/. I keep getting nuked with a racking pain spell. Is this a new feature to IWDEE (I can't remember it from the old IWD, but then again I do have some serious memory problems). Is there anyway to counter it, or protect against it?

2/. I can't get enough feedback about what damages the spirits from the dialogue box. I know that Magic Missilies work, but I can't tell about other magic damage such as fire from various swords. I do get messages telling me they a magic resistant, but it doesn't specify which particular magic they are resisting. Are they sucspetible to stuff like Confusion or Malison?

3/. What weapons work best against them?

4/. Do they count as undead?

Comments

• atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,150
    I often find this one of the toughest battles in the game. I often rely heavily on Holy Smiting; but the spirits ARE IMMUNE.
    They are vulnerable to fire and acid; and I think most weapons.

I think you just have to bear through the pain, I don't know of a way of avoiding it.
  • HudzyHudzy Member Posts: 300
    Lots of crowd control was how I got through that. Web in particular.
  • kiwidockiwidoc Member Posts: 1,437
    @atcDave Ok I'll stock up on fire and acid as much as I can. btw did you mean to make that unbearable pun?

@Hudzy I've been trying web, but the expletive deleted things just walk straight through it. I think they may be immune.
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    can you not try running away to pick them in melee (more or less) one by one as they stretch out? haste is king.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    HoF mode or normal mode?
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    I disintegrated the bear spirit once. I guess I was very lucky? Whats his mr and save vs spell?
  • kiwidockiwidoc Member Posts: 1,437
    @Wowo - normal mode (and I am embarresed to say easy mode as well.)
  • GodGod Member Posts: 1,150
    You don't need to fight them if you don't want to. It's not a big deal and if I remember correct you can even come back to the Burial Isle later and finish them off.
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    kiwidoc said:

@Wowo - normal mode (and I am embarresed to say easy mode as well.)

I remember trying this fight on HoF mode but I don't remember if I beat it or not.

There's a few choke points that you can use around the place where only one can attack you at a time, try to find those spots and then smash them with AoEs.

Worst case position everyone on the island with Hrothgar and have someone with 2xDimension Door go and start the fight and then door back to the island and then destroy them with ranged weapons and spells.
  • HudzyHudzy Member Posts: 300
    Retreating into the tower for a cheesy rest and retry worked as well last time I played, which was before the enhanced edition. They used to just instantly aggro as soon as you left the tower but at least you had time to prepare that chokepoint.
  • AerichAerich Member Posts: 159
    Use of a chokepoint is critical, IMO. If you have a druid, multiple entangle, spike stones and spike growth will slow it down and cause a certain amount of damage. If your mage has acid fog (Death Fog? I can't remember what it's called), use it. Also use Grease. Best case scenario, it'll die in the spelltrap after you throw in a few AoE. Otherwise, have some tough summons on your side of the trap for it to attack, and send in one of your heavies with the Three White Doves after it's through the trap and engaged with your summons.

Or at least that's how I beat it back in the day on HoF mode :smiley:
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    yeah, there's a chokepoint to the west-southwest if i remember well. that's how i've always done it at least.