Skip to content

Who exactly is Gorion's ward?

124»

Comments

• tennisgolfbolltennisgolfboll Member Posts: 457
    Also it is clear that drizzt is, by human standards not only an adult when he is 40 but a grizzled veteran.

• drakescar9drakescar9 Member Posts: 65
    is it possible that the taint of bhaal may alter the aging proseess of a race? becuase that would explain the drow and if that what happens could it also be that bhaal's blood could make a human or an orc live longer?
  • hisplshispls Member Posts: 166
    For those that claim any sort of class conditions for Charname, I'd like to think that a level 1 anything is pretty much a blank slate. Don't look at it as protagonist has been training in whatever profession, but that protagonist had nothing to do his or her whole life except for read books. Likely books exist of every profession or faith and he or she was intrigued by whatever suits your fancy, learned enough from reading books to have the "skills" that come with 1st level, then you pick up the rest from experience and practice as you go outside and adventure in the real world.

• SilverSovietSilverSoviet Member Posts: 5
    You know, while I tend to agree that a lvl 1 is a blank slate and you can pretty much be whatever you want, I've been thinking lately that the classes that make LEAST sense to me, at least at the beginning (not ruling out dual classing later) are the Mage & Cleric classes that get spells right off the bat.

I mean... it seems awfully foolhardy for Gorion et al to be all like, "Yeah the essence of the Lord of Murder is kinda jumbled up all inside this kid... but I'm pretty sure we did an ok job raising him; I'm sure he'll never go bonkers with lvl 9 spells and destroy half the world or anything." I'd think they'd probably steer the kid away from such things and towards nice, safe activities like singing or poking things with sharp objects.
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100

You know, while I tend to agree that a lvl 1 is a blank slate and you can pretty much be whatever you want, I've been thinking lately that the classes that make LEAST sense to me, at least at the beginning (not ruling out dual classing later) are the Mage & Cleric classes that get spells right off the bat.

I mean... it seems awfully foolhardy for Gorion et al to be all like, "Yeah the essence of the Lord of Murder is kinda jumbled up all inside this kid... but I'm pretty sure we did an ok job raising him; I'm sure he'll never go bonkers with lvl 9 spells and destroy half the world or anything." I'd think they'd probably steer the kid away from such things and towards nice, safe activities like singing or poking things with sharp objects.

Well...it depends on what he's been learning.

For example, with your first two spells, image starting off with identify and summon familiar. Very non-lethal stuff right there, showing that your foster father was doing his best to steer you away from anything violent.

With a sorceror, it's not like Gorion would have had any chance of stopping you from casting spells.

And a cleric would be a great choice. "Bhaalspawn? Let's bring in some clerics of Lathander. Get the child really hooked on a 'good' religion. Teach him how to heal people. Maybe with Lathander's help, we can steer him away from this entire murder business."
  • SilverSovietSilverSoviet Member Posts: 5
    Ah, I suppose you're right. I hadn't really thought about that bit with the Clerics. Still... I feel like with the awesome power of high level mage spells out there, it'd just be best not to tempt fate. Unless Gorion has an oddly low wisdom score. :lol:

Still... I always liked the Bard the best for lore wise. Growing up in a library for high lore. Take points in quarterstaff and maybe a bow to begin. Not especially adept at anything adventure-y having grown up sheltered... but start learning spells (tapping into that innate power) at lvl 2.

But... yeah every class can work, for sure. It's just how creative you want to be! :smile:
  • OzzyBotkinsOzzyBotkins Member Posts: 396
    If I had to chose I would say
    CHARNAME is a Bard
    could be male or female
    two main influences are Gorion and Imoen
    other possible influence would be Hull
    The temple
    with all the different influence at Candlekeep
    I Gorion's Ward would have taken it all in
    and wound up a Bard
  • BladeDancerBladeDancer Member Posts: 477
    This is my choice
    Charname is a Fighter (in my opinion one of the most credible classes to learn within Candlekeep's walls)
    Male
    Trained to be a fighter by Hull and Jondalar (with swords) and Fuller (longbows and arrows)

• ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592

is it possible that the taint of bhaal may alter the aging proseess of a race? becuase that would explain the drow and if that what happens could it also be that bhaal's blood could make a human or an orc live longer?

As a matter of facts, Abdel Adrian (the cannon Gorion's Ward from the BG novels) is said to live about 140 years despite being a human, and looks like a 60yo man at that moment (he did not die of aging)
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520
    Arunsun said:

As a matter of facts, Abdel Adrian (the cannon Gorion's Ward from the BG novels) is said to live about 140 years despite being a human, and looks like a 60yo man at that moment (he did not die of aging)

Guys. We talked about this.

^_^
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    Gorion's Ward isn't a human, an elf, a half-elf, a half-orc, a halfling, a dwarf, or a gnome.

Gorion's Ward is actually a protective spell devised by Gorion in his later years. He found it very useful, but it did not save him from his demise.
    Arunsun said:

As a matter of true fact, Abdel's backstory does not match with Gorion's Ward. If you've actually read the novel, you'll see that Abdel, the so-called canon Gorion's Ward, has a backstory different from the game protagonist.

1. In the novel, Gorion did not rescue Abdel from a temple of Bhaal, an unnamed paladin did and brought Abdel to Gorion. Plus, Sarevok's past is not tied at all to Abdel's or Gorion's. (Gorion choosing to adopt the game protagonist over Sarevok).

2. In the novels, there is no prophecy foretelling of a child of Bhaal known as Gorion's Ward who will have a monumental role to play during the events of Throne of Bhaal.
  • ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
    @BladeDancer : Yeah there are indeed some slight differences but had you read the post I quoted and the question it asked, you would see that despite the fact that Abdel is not exactly Gorion's ward, my post still answered the question which was "is it possible that the taint of bhaal may alter the aging process of a race?". If Abdel lives about 140 years and looks like someone who's 60 as a human, even if Abdel is not Gorion's Ward, it still shows that being a Bhaalspawn changes your lifespan.
    edited April 2015
    Arunsun said:

@BladeDancer : Yeah there are indeed some slight differences but had you read the post I quoted and the question it asked, you would see that despite the fact that Abdel is not exactly Gorion's ward, my post still answered the question which was "is it possible that the taint of bhaal may alter the aging process of a race?". If Abdel lives about 140 years and looks like someone who's 60 as a human, even if Abdel is not Gorion's Ward, it still shows that being a Bhaalspawn changes your lifespan.

Therein lies a problem. In the Throne of Bhaal novel, he refused to ascend to godhood, and he gave up his entire taint-- he should have become a mortal human and died from old age sometime like 1413 DR or 1419 DR. But instead, his fate was retconned slightly by WoTC and he was put in Murder In Baldur's Gate to reinforce their claim that the novels are canon even though Abdel's backstory is different, and FR lore is contradicted in unforgivable ways.

For example, in the first BG novel, Angelo is a half-elf and is one of the Dukes of Baldur's Gate, and no sourcebook detailing information on the Dukes of Baldur's Gate mention him at all.

And there's the part in the SoA novel when Abdel, Jaheira, Imoen and Yoshimo visits Ust Natha and learns that one of the foods that the Drow race eats is spiders. THAT IS WRONG ON SO MANY LEVELS. Spiders are sacred creatures to the Drow, eating or killing one is a heavy offense against Lolth. I understand that the author was looking for something that would make Abdel feel glad to be born a human, but the attempt failed with flying colors.

And there is the part in Suldanesslar when Imoen transforms into a Slayer. A moonblade can't hurt a Slayer, but Yoshimo's katana can. This should have been in reverse, Yoshimo's katana in the game has no effect on magical beasts.