Skip to content

[Windows - Steam Version] Save games disappear completely when overwriting. And they shouldnt....

DruericDrueric Member Posts: 42
edited April 2015 in BGII:EE Bugs (v1.3.2064)
When you go to overwrite an older save game, the old save disappears, but no new save replaces it. You have to create a new save again or the game is lost forever. Without checking the save game list right after overwriting, you wouldnt know that the save game didnt actually save. I made this mistake and lost my save when I closed the game down and went to play again later and the save wasnt there. Easily repeatable I am sure, just try overwriting a previous save and then check to see if the game you were saving actually saved.

Comments

• DruericDrueric Member Posts: 42
    edited April 2015
    This also happens when using quick save. Save a game using quick save, and the next time you use quicksave it simply deletes the old quicksave but does NOT replace it with a new quicksave.

Seems like something that would be easy to fix.

Oh ah.... it seems after that quicksave thing, the quicksave no longer works at all.

Well I didnt see this in the known issues list. And I would guess that if its happening to everyone it would be there. Has no one else ever reported this happening? I know I find it very annoying.
  • Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,871
    Hi
    This hasn't been reported for Windows, although I vaguely recall there was something for Mac after people had done something like move or restore their documents folder.

I was going to ask if your saves were marked as read-only (the files within the quick save folder) but having tried it myself it made no difference and still overwrote.

If you close the game down and rename your quicksave folder (both number and name) are you then able to resume quick saving.
    e.g.
    From 000000001-Quick-Save to 000000011-Quick-Save-old
    from 000000004-Quick-Save-TOB to 000000014-Quick-Save-TOB-old

I'm not sure what is happening at this stage. Have you done anything like move your documents folder or changed your windows account from/to administrator since installing the game.
    edited April 2015
    I havent modified anything and I always do everything on windows as admin. I will look up the saves and see if they are read only.
    edited April 2015
    I created a quicksave and looked it up. It is checked as read only. I unchecked it. Restarted game, hit quicksave again, then looked, and the quicksave file was gone.

Changing the file name and read only status does nothing. Its not just quicksave, all saves that I overwrite are erased instead of overwritten

Any other suggestions? Obviously I can work around this by just never using overwrite, but it shouldnt be happening.
  • Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,871
    edited April 2015
    The original version occasionally wrote saves to a temp folder, looking at my GoG install I can see two folders exist but are empty. Screenshot attached

I'm not sure if the EE version would do anything similar - are you able to scan for 000000001-quick-save and see if it has been saved somewhere unexpected?
    Thanks

& do you have anything else managing your documents folder such as automatic backup software.
    edited April 2015
    All saves are created in the documents like you mentioned earlier. Searching didnt come up with anything but that. I looked in the steam folder (where my game is located) and there is no save or temp folders. No backup software.

In documents, there is also a 'bpsave' folder as well as the 'save' folder. in bpsave there is a file named autosave, however, in the game no autosave is visible. There was one at the start of the campaign, but its no longer there, I suspect because of the overwrite/delete issue.