Skip to content

Possible to make things like detecting traps and true seeing always active?

JidokwonJidokwon Member Posts: 395
These might be hard coded, but I'm wondering if it'd be possible to make spells and abilities like detecting traps and true seeing always on. Currently, they only do thier searching once every six(?) seconds. I'd like to fix this by having them always search, without the delay, whenever they're activated. Is this something I can do?

Comments

• AmeranthftwAmeranthftw Member Posts: 57
    edited April 2015
    I have no idea if thieving abilities can be modified, but, that being said:

I know that spells like true sight detect invisibility the instant they are casted, as well as every round (six seconds). This being said, you could probably create a spell that casts a "durationless" version of true sight every second, using opcode 272 with condition zero (once per second).

If the detect traps spell also detects traps instantly as it is cast, then you could apply the same method here.
  • JidokwonJidokwon Member Posts: 395
    Thanks for the quick reply. My modding experience is limited to Near Infinity and EEKeeper. I opened the wizard spell True Sight and made my way to Effect 6 that casts spell (146), has timing mode set to delay/permanent - 4, and duration of 6. I couldn't find opcode 272 using Near Infinity. I'm sure I'd end up breaking things if I continued hehe.
    You're on the right track using Near Infinity for this. It's likely going to be three files total:

One .spl file for the actual castable spell, this will use opcode 272 (not sure why this isn't showing for you)
    One .eff file that the first spell will reference, this will use opcode 146 to cast a spell.
    One .spl file that is referenced by the .eff file, which will do what true sight does, but instant/limited with duration of 1 or 0 (not sure on this yet).

Unfortunately I don't have the time to explain more in-depth on how to do it until later tonight, though. I can try to build it and attach it up on this thread a bit later :smile:
    I appreciate it, but it sounds like a lot more than I imagined. I was hoping that it'd be a simple adjustment in the baldur.ini or a 2da file to make activated spells and abilities always checking when on. Instead they check by slow tick and each spell/ability would have to be adjusted. That's a lot of work to ask of anyone. I don't even have a full list of activated searching spells and abilities that I'd want to adjust. True Sight and Detect Traps were just off the top of my head. Thank you anyhow for you time.
    I see, sorry that it wasn't what you had hoped for, then. :(
  • BelanosBelanos Member Posts: 968
    Detecting traps can certainly be always active, unless engaging in another activity. It's done through the AI script. Simply add these lines somewhere in the script:

IF
    ActionListEmpty()
    CombatCounter(0)
    OR(2)
    Class(Myself,THIEF_ALL)
    Class(Myself,MONK)
    !ModalState(DETECTTRAPS)
    THEN
    RESPONSE #100
    FindTraps()
    END
    Does that cause traps to be detected faster than every round while detect traps is active?
    Yeah, sorry. I probably wasn't clear. I meant when activated I want them to immediately and always search while activated. I don't want them only checking once every six seconds, but have them continually seeing, until deactivated. As it is currently, we can have true seeing up and mobs can cast invisibility/illusion spells and have them work against us anyhow. At least for six seconds. I want to eliminate that six second waiting period and have them always seeing when activated.
  • Saigon1983Saigon1983 Member Posts: 157
    edited April 2015
    It makes no sence, if we are talking about any realism. Imagine, that yourself enter any unknown area. You look around for a while. And mention something wrong. And you have few seconds for investigate this something. But in this time you also can hear any voice, mention another move, get pushed by your comrade, or somewhat like this. And after it you must take another look around, but an invisible target could simply moves in other place... in reality such situation is close to a six seconds period)) But if we are talking about cheating and about attempt to make game easier for player (especialy if you are walking through for the tenth time), than, maybe, yes, you are right
    I see your point, Saigon. "Realistically," the true sight spell should provide constant illusion dispelling, though.
    edited April 2015
    *nods* True Seeing was a popular effect on helms in Neverwinter Nights. I don't remember mobs in that game being able to counter the effect by exploit chaining invisibility/illusions. I guess it would make the game easier in some cases, but adding conveniences and getting rid of exploits and annoyances is what half of the mods out there do.
  • kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367
    You could have the True Sight spell grant all enemies immunity to the specific defensive illusion spells for its duration.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited April 2015
    The user and all related content has been deleted.