Skip to content

Dual weild options

In creating my kensai mage thief I accidentally ended up with additional proficiencies, so can now weild long swords, daggers and maces equally well.

Am I right that the best combo is the dagger of venom and the mace of head-bashing (the name escapes me)? If so, in which order? Do varscona or burning earth get a look in, with their higher base damage for backstabbing?

Comments

• JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    I'd be inclined to go mace on-hand dagger off-hand, but both have powerful on-hit effects, so I really couldn't say for sure which setup is better.

Varscona is probably worth keeping in a quickslot for backstabs, unless you have someone else who uses longswords. The Burning Earth is worth keeping around for a couple specific fights, but otherwise it's probably not worth the trouble.
  • JoshBGJoshBG Member Posts: 91
    edited April 2015
    Since the dagger allows save, it's better to have it in the main-hand. But this also applies to the mace; no save is allowed, but it has 25% chance to stun. So it's "a chance to poison or to stun". Try them both ways and decide what works better, I guess. :)
  • pixie359pixie359 Member Posts: 251
    Thanks both.
    It's a solo character if that makes a difference.
    I'm a little surprised there isn't a straight forward recognised powergamer response, or at least clear arguments for DoV or the mace. I know the equivalent arguments for FoA, the CFs, Carsomyr etc, but am not that up on bg1 spells.
  • pixie359pixie359 Member Posts: 251
    Spells? Weapons!
  • joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137
    It depends on what you're fighting. For example, you should use DoV in the main hand against arcane casters since they have bad saves vs. death and the spell interrupt effect is useful. On the other hand, the Stupefier is better against high-level fighters.