Skip to content

Which deity should a neutral Blade (Bard) follow?

Hey there

I know that bards usually follow gods like Oghma, Tymora or others related to beauty and Arts. I think that Blades, however, due to their intimidating nature and dark appearance , might follow a different deity.

Considering that I've created a neutral human Blade , who values artistic inspiration and experience , but also likes to sharpen his swords and intimidate his enemies , which deity do you think that could be fit?

Comments

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    You know characters can worship more than one deity right?

Anyways if you really want just one I'd say Akadi.
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    Saint Nicolaus. The patron of thieves.
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    Tempus (god of war) would make an awesome god for a blade, or his shield-woman the Red Knight (goddess of strategy). The blade would embody guerrilla warfare, with its focus on quick, precise strikes to demoralize the enemy as much as hurt them. While other follows of the war gods focus on traditional battle, the blade expresses the more neglected aspects of total war.

Kelemvor (god of the dead) is my favorite FR god overall, and a blade devoted to him would be interesting indeed. Bleak and grim, focusing on dirges and requiems more than traditional music (hence the reduced song bonuses), the blade would hunt down those who disrupted the rightful order of the world and silence them, forever.

Hoar (god of vengeance) would also work, if you can get past the name. The blade would focus on the karmic nature of stories, where the guilty are invariably punished for their transgressions sooner or later. The blade would force the would to work the way stories do, taking this bloody justice into their own hands.

Siamorphe (goddess of nobility) would make a somewhat more conventional bard. Someone who is flowery, charming, and very much at home among the rich and powerful. Scratch the surface, though, and you'll find steel hidden beneath the silk. Medieval nobility may throw some fancy parties, but they bought their thrones with blood and steel.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    I'd say Sharess, the Dancing Lady, is a save bet for Blades of any alignment to worship.
  • YannirYannir Member Posts: 595
    If you were drow, Eilistraee would be perfect. I don't know if other races can worship her.

Referred to as the Dark Maiden, Eilistraee was the chaotic good drow goddess of song, swordwork, hunting, moonlight, and beauty.
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    Finder Wyvernspur.

Although I don't think he technically is a god yet.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited April 2015
    scriver said:

Finder Wyvernspur.

Although I don't think he technically is a god yet.

It appears as though he becomes a demipower during the time of troubles. So I guess not technically a god. Also he wouldn't even be a demipower during Icewind Dale.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Thanks for the suggestions!

From your suggestions, I think that Akadi and Sharess are more likely to favor classes that deal with freedom and liveliness.

Personally, I would rather not have a blade follow a war deity, because the blade's skills are more prone to intimidation , showmanship and obscure activities rather than getting into direct conflicts such as duels and wars.

I would also avoid Lawful gods, such as Kelemvor or Hoar, because blades, like most bards, usually take advantage of their talents to criticize or manipulate authority figures, usually through non-lawful means.
  • GodGod Member Posts: 1,150
    If the blade has a big cutlass and says 'Arrr!' sometimes, Valkur would be the best choice.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited April 2015
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    I'm not sure I'd take that to mean all blades are thieves and poisoners. They're weapon performers. Knife-throwers, sword-swallowers, whip-... people. They do tricks with weapons to impress an audience. You can find people like that even today (mostly at renn faires), and I've never met one who struck me as in any way dishonest, although I'm sure a few are.

But yeah, BG's version of the blade has a remarkable amount of direct power than the PnP kit didn't have any hint of. Of course, the PnP blade is also absolute garbage, imo, so I'm inclined to think the devs tried to correct that, but did so in a direction slightly out of line with the kit's original themes.
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    @subtledoctor I agree that Mask seems appropriate for blade. That said, I could also see a Lawful Neutral blade of Kelemvor as @Jarrakul suggested
  • jacobtanjacobtan Member Posts: 655
    Lliira, Shaundakul and Shar are also possible candidates.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    edited April 2015
    I agree that Mask is a cool choice but... I don't know, blades are artists nonetheless . Does Mask support any kind of artistic activity?
    Post edited by DJKajuru on
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    @Jarrakul I do believe those who have mastery of whips are called 'whippersnappers', which is neuter.

If a gendered form is preferred, there is 'dominatrix' for feminine, and 'abuser' is masculine.
  • ApocryphaApocrypha Member Posts: 105
    Llira, goddess of charm, travel, and joy might be a good fit. Milil's the god of flashy music, so he might work too.
  • Tad_Has_A_Cold_OliveTad_Has_A_Cold_Olive Member Posts: 183
    Kossuth.

... Fire is intimidating.