Skip to content

Party Composition

MhamzaMhamza Member Posts: 228
I'm preparing to play Icewind Dale and Heart of Winter from start to finish for the first time and I'm looking for some party advice. Right now what I'm planning is this:

Human Sorcerer
Halfling Barbarian
Human Inquisitor
Half-Elf Thief
Human Fighter (later dueled to cleric)

I'm not sure what to use for the sixth slot. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    Looks fine, covering all the bases. I like Clerics in IWD because you end up stacking a lot of buffs, maybe something along those lines?

Could also go with a Bard, their songs are pretty great especially the Skald one. Bit of a robot character though, they don't do much other than sing. Many people don't like that.
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    I'd probably either go bard or druid. Possibly fighter/druid. If bard, I'd probably either go unkitted or skald, because those options have the best songs. If druid, I'd probably go totem druid, although I know a lot of people really like avenger.

I'd also be inclined to slap a kit on the thief, or make it multiclassed. A single-classed unkitted thief is a lot of thief for IWD. I'd probably either go swashbuckler (for tanking), fighter/thief (for damage dealing), or bountry hunter (for crowd control).
  • MhamzaMhamza Member Posts: 228
    edited April 2015
    Thanks for the suggestions guys. I reckon I'll go with Bard. How are they with ranged weapons? Are crossbows a good choice?
    Post edited by Mhamza on
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ZyzzogetonZyzzogeton Member Posts: 526
    You get more output from a Bard singing (+1 damage on everyone else) than attacking with them. A Skald makes this even more lopsided with their song, which starts af +2, upgrading to +4 damage.

• AerichAerich Member Posts: 159
    I like a druid in the #6 spot. Pick a kit, or do a multiclass F/D. Your party could use some divine spells early on, and a druid also has good offensive spells and summons to complement the sorceror. I also do not recommend a pure unkitted thief. You have tanks already, and space can be kinda tight - I'd take a multi fighter/thief and primarily use it for scouting and ranged.

I see you've already decided on bard for your 6th. I believe an IWD bard should primarily sing, and occasionally spellcast, during combat. A skald is great for fighter-heavy parties run by experienced and aggressive players. If that's not you, go with an unkitted bard for the variety of songs and the war chant it gets at lvl 11; war chant allows any divine casters to skip taking low level healing spells, which is a great thing for either a druid or for a melee-focused cleric.
  • MhamzaMhamza Member Posts: 228
    edited April 2015
    Aerich said:

I like a druid in the #6 spot. Pick a kit, or do a multiclass F/D. Your party could use some divine spells early on, and a druid also has good offensive spells and summons to complement the sorceror. I also do not recommend a pure unkitted thief. You have tanks already, and space can be kinda tight - I'd take a multi fighter/thief and primarily use it for scouting and ranged.

I see you've already decided on bard for your 6th. I believe an IWD bard should primarily sing, and occasionally spellcast, during combat. A skald is great for fighter-heavy parties run by experienced and aggressive players. If that's not you, go with an unkitted bard for the variety of songs and the war chant it gets at lvl 11; war chant allows any divine casters to skip taking low level healing spells, which is a great thing for either a druid or for a melee-focused cleric.

Thanks for the advice. I've never played a bard before so I'm interested to see how that goes. Anyway, I've decided to go with an unkitted Bard (for the chants), Fighter/Thief (as an archer-type character) and Priest of Tempus in place of the Fighter/Cleric dual.
  • AerichAerich Member Posts: 159
    It's balanced and strong. Make sure to take a druid on your second run. :)