Skip to content

Evil's eve

FrdNwsmFrdNwsm Member Posts: 1,069
One thing about evil people; just because they're all rotten to the core doesn't mean that they'll like each other. I mean, Hitler and Stalin weren't exactly best buds. I finally managed to corral some extremely shifty looking types, to help me go tomb robbing. (I suspect we're the sort of people that Lara Croft was always fighting).

I ended up with MyChar, Jaheira, Korgan, Viconia, Edwin and Hexxat. I was almost going to have Jaheira camp out also and give Yoshi a call up, but then sanity reasserted itself. We may need her various abilities; you never know when a fire elemental or an insect plague will come in useful. Insect plague, btw is really nasty for incapacitating entire groups of foes; those bugs spread like flies on a midden heap.

Right at the start, Korgan makes a pass at Hexxat, stating that he "likes dark meat". Hexxat replies to the effect that she likes dwarves also, but that they rarely have enough "juice" to satisfy her. The double entendres fly; "Once I start" she says, "I just can't stop". This gives even the Battlerager (the technical term for a dwarf berserker) a bit of a pause. Viconia then passes some snarky remark about the subservient position of males in Drow society. All this before we even get out of the door!

These guys were also woefully underequipped. Luckily I had saved up a slew of stuff and was packing it in my ... errr, Hexxat's ... bag of holding. Yes, the little bag she gave me with her coffin in it can hold a lot of other junk as well. If she ever wants it back, I am SO screwed; I'll have to sell most of that stuff.

Korgan: Looking much more effective after I gave him plate mail, +2 large shield and +2 axe.
Hexxat: Underequipped for a level 11 vampire thief. Gave her +2 studded leather, +1 buckler, and Gnasher.
Viconia: Wandering around essentially naked; sexy but ineffectual. Now she's AC -7 and armed with Ashedena.
Edwin: A great mage, but a terrible selection of spells. Would you believe he didn't even know Stoneskin? Also, he couldn't learn any new ones when I passed him some scrolls. I had him erase a bunch of stuff and then he was able to learn something more useful. Then I passed him +1 ring, +1 dagger, and bracers AC4.

None of these ingrates even thanked me; well, that's Evil for you. No manners.
Just getting this looting expedition ready took me an hour, and left me even more impoverished than before. We need to score big time just for me to break even! We'll be off to the cemetery later tonight (after I have dinner).

Comments

• joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137
    If you give Edwin (or any Mage) a Potion of Genius or Mind Focusing before scribing, he'll be able to learn more spells. The spells won't disappear after the intelligence bonus wears off.
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    I must say, I share your love of Insect Plague. It's probably my favorite spell in the game. Partially because of how easily it destroys casters of all sorts, even in groups, and partially because it makes me feel like Skitter.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    edited April 2015
    Heh, LOVING your first time experience! You have a flair for interesting write-ups, as well.

Those locked doors are important for a future quest, later. Don't dwell on it. Also, I am sure you know but a friendly reminder:always check for traps when looting an ancient crypt, tomb, dungeon or cellar.
  • FrdNwsmFrdNwsm Member Posts: 1,069
    Jarrakul said:

I must say, I share your love of Insect Plague. It's probably my favorite spell in the game. Partially because of how easily it destroys casters of all sorts, even in groups, and partially because it makes me feel like Skitter.

It roxxorz! It pwns fingerwagglers!
    Ahem. What I mean to say is yes, I agree, it's quite effective at neutralizing enemy spell casters. In fact, Jaheira took the spell users in all three Harper attacks out of commission by casting this spell on round 1 of each combat.
    edited April 2015
    "You have a flair for interesting write-ups, as well."

Well, I could have written something like "We went looking for undead, but found a bunch of spiders instead, so we killed them all and rested up for the night". That conveys pretty much everything that happened in a rather concise manner, but ... who wants to read drivel like that?

Also, this is the sort of stuff that occurs to me as I play through a scenario, in a sort of stream of consciousness manner. I find myself asking the air "Why is Elminster being such an enigmatic twit?", or "What WOULD an underground colony of Giant Spiders find to eat underneath a cemetery?".

And the bit with the woman with all those butlers named Jeeves was hilarious.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    FrdNwsm said:

What's with this trend here, anyway? Spiders are NOT colonial type insects. In fact they're not even insects at all, they belong to the family Arachnidae, not Insectivorae. And what the heck do they eat underground? There can't be all THAT many adventuring parties stumbling in.

:+1: Thumbs up from the resident animal savant. You have been promoted.
    edited April 2015
    Well, we headed down the ramp, loaded for bear ... I mean spiders. Unfortunately, the tomb designers had yet another sneaky trick up their collective sleeves. Exit the spiders, cue the undead. Needing a totally different spell selection, we beat a hasty retreat back up the ramp.

"When danger reared its ugly head,
    Sir MyChar bravely turned and fled ...
    Brave, brave Sir MyChar!"

Basically, fewer summoned animals, some restoration and protection from evil and a cure disease went into the mix. Also casting a few more buffing spells before going back down. The second time around saw us showing a bit more bravery. The undead were defeated after a moderately fierce struggle; only one level drain was suffered. The big problem with restoration is the strain it places on the casting cleric; Viconia being exhausted, we had to rest up. Luckily nothing disturbed our repose, but we did sleep with one eye open.

This combat raises several questions in my mind (as usual). What the heck is a Vampyre? A vampire with a
    speech defect? He escaped us by assuming gaseous form, leading me to the Hexxat questions below.

Can Hexxat assume gaseous form? Doesn't look like it. If not, why not?

Is Hexxat immune to level drain? She should be.

Can Hexxat drain levels if she hits in melee combat? I suspect not, although there hasn't been much of a test so far; the only melees she has been in were with the spiders last night (Can spiders be level drained?)

I'd think Hexxat would be able to at least have a chat with some of the undead down there; maybe some amusing interplay like that between Viconia and the Spider Queen. Apparently not; I guess undead are territorial and resent her intrusion on their "turf". A Bloods vs Crips sort of thing.

What happens if Hexxat dies? In some rules versions, raise dead spell destroys undead targets. Can she be raised? How about being raised via Jaheira and her Harper's Call instead of a clerical spell?

I took her cloak off to raise her stats, figuring she'd be ok underground; the other undead sure didn't seem bothered by the time of day. But, without her cloak, what happens if I have Viconia cast False Dawn? I suspect the spell doesn't distinguish between friendly and unfriendly undead.

Edwin was tossing some acid arrows around, with no effect. Are all undead immune to this, or just the incorporeal ones? (He was targeting the level drainers, as the most potent threat). Magic missile worked.

I noticed that Hexxat regenerates HP slowly, but not fast enough to be really useful in the heat of battle. It does mean that she can take minor damage from traps and such without needing cures. NOWHERE in the description of her abilities is this even suggested. She's also immune to poison, but heck, so am I (periapt).

Conclusion: Forget the stuff about Hexxat being a vampire; just use her as a regular thief with a couple of extra abilities. Do traps and locks with her, give her a missile weapon and let her hang back in combat. She has neither the AC nor the HP to be able to duke it out to-to-toe with an enemy except as a last resort.
    edited April 2015
    Continuing onward, the party encountered yet more undead, but nothing too challenging. Note: Fire elemental vs mummies = win. (Although elementals apparently CAN be level drained. I did not try to cast restoration on it, tempting though it was to try the experiment.) We then met and defeated a fairly inept Lich. Edwin was overjoyed! On the body he found a mint first edition copy of the Elder Scrolls, although he selfishly refused to let us play with it. Well, OK, he IS evil, after all.

Down yet another corridor, we found the object of Korgan's quest, the resting place of the Book of Kaza! (which is why we were suckered into coming down here in the first place). Well, almost but not quite; what we actually found was an empty crypt. Korgan was quite upset, although he didn't strike me as being much of the reading sort. He grew quite upset at some dud who was apparently named after a racetrack; we agreed to accompany him on his quest for vengeance.

Whoever said that there was honor among thieves had no clue what he was talking about.
  • mrb101mrb101 Member Posts: 66
    i believe hexxat's amulet gives her hp regen and poison immunity among other things and if she dies she retreats into her coffin and after some time comes back to life.
    Hexxat is indeed immune to level drain, and if she "dies", she assumes gaseous form and retreats back to her coffin for a bit.

I will also note that I've had success using Hexxat as a melee damage dealer, due to her high strength score, but you definitely do have to manage her carefully and run her away if she starts taking hits. You also generally want to build her for two-weapon fighting, which takes a frustratingly long time. In the meantime, throwing daggers are probably your best bet, since they take advantage of her high strength.
    OK, that's excellent news! About the level drain thing that is. Carrying her gaseous body around in my hip pocket seems a bit disconcerting. She also made a pass at Viconia, but (alas for fanservice) nothing came of it. Well, we can hope.

If I pump her up a bit more and give her some oil of speed and potions of extra healing she can go into melee and if things start going bad, she can run back out and heal up. Since she has the equivalent of a permanent protection from negative plane, she should be quite useful against her fellow vampires.
    Exactly. Once you get your hands on some boots of speed, she's an excellent candidate for them. They allow her to both retreat quickly when she's attacked, and quickly get out of sight to reenter stealth for backstabs.
  • YannirYannir Member Posts: 595
    Oh, she'll be fine anywhere inside, it doesn't have to be underground. You keep her bag on your hip? I always carry it on the tip of a 10-foot pole. Or a quarterstaff, sometimes..
  • ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
    By the way,as you are having Hexxat with you, do make more than one save. The character and her quest are still quite buggy and you might not want to be stuck in some tomb because the game bugged.
    Another most useful bug ( I never exploited it on purpose but it won me a fight or two) is that if she is stunned, she won't go below 1 HP, neither will she turn into gaz, which makes it an unkillable decoy. Add to this that if you heal her before the stun wears off, she will not transform to gaz and you won't have to sleep/rest.
    Thanks for the heads up.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    Arunsun said:

By the way,as you are having Hexxat with you, do make more than one save. The character and her quest are still quite buggy and you might not want to be stuck in some tomb because the game bugged.
    Another most useful bug ( I never exploited it on purpose but it won me a fight or two) is that if she is stunned, she won't go below 1 HP, neither will she turn into gaz, which makes it an unkillable decoy. Add to this that if you heal her before the stun wears off, she will not transform to gaz and you won't have to sleep/rest.

Also, if she suffers some heavy damage and is dropped to 1 hp, you can gulp a potion of extra healing instantly and this would prevent her from turning into mist. She would continue as if nothing happened. You need to have enabled auto pause on character injured, have quick reflexes, and a clear aura on Hexxat. (oh also, a potion!) I find that really cheesy, but I must confess I abused this mechanic quite a few times.