Skip to content

Divine Warriors

I decided to come back to BG2EE last night and was testing out some ideas. I was thinking of playing through with a paladin, ranger/cleric, or a fighter/cleric. Those are some pretty uninteresting and powerful characters depending on how experienced you are but I've never played the the R/C or F/C. Also, the first time I ever beat BG2 was with an Inquisitor well over a decade ago so I thought it would be fun to relive that. I also think a divine warrior fits the whole "child of a god" character.

Guess I'm at a loss as for what I should choose.

1) Paladin. I know a lot of people claim the Cavalier is the best tank but I'm not sure when that kicks in during the game. With my testing I learned that a paladin's casting level is character level -8. So while I can see the eventual payoff with spells like AoF and DuHM, it will take a long time to get there. It looks like a Cavalier would need to reach 6 million xp to max out AoF. The F/C levels faster at first but eventually evens out. Inquisitor doesn't get the self buffs but gets the best dispel and also a true sight that has a 0 casting speed. Looks like it's the overall utility of Inquisitor through the entire game vs. the power of Cavalier towards the end. Tough choice between Cavalier and Inquisitor.

2) Ranger/Cleric. I've always read how powerful these guys are but never had the patience to play one all the way through. They seem like they level slowly but I can definitely see how they can be over powered later in the game. Do people usually take another divine caster in the party? It seems like the slow leveling would leave the party without helpful spells like chaotic commands and true sight, especially if the R/C is using level five spells for iron skins. Also, I changed the .ini file to give the R/C all of her druid spells like the original but it strangely feels like cheating now. I'm guessing pre buffs of AoF, DuHM, and iron skins make this character a beast at some point.

3) Fighter/Cleric. Similar to the F/C but without iron skins, insect plague, and summoning. The dwarf version gets great saves and 19 constitution. The half orc gets 19 strength and constitution. The human will eventually be a much better version of Anomen. Is the multi-class variation going to level quick enough to be the party's only divine caster? Is there any reason to pick a F/C over the R/C?

I'm not sure what party make up I'm going to go with. I'll probably have my character be the main tank and divine caster with a mage, Yoshimo, and one other person depending on what class I choose.

So those were the arguments I was making for myself between Inquisitor, Cavalier, R/C, and F/C. Did I leave anything out? What would you do?

Comments

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited April 2015

Did I leave anything out

Monk. They can't cast priest spells but neither can the inquisitor. Technically they are priests as far as HP goes but they are worth a mention.
  • GlidderdustGlidderdust Member Posts: 70
    elminster said:

Did I leave anything out

Monk. They can't cast priest spells but neither can the inquisitor. Technically they are priests as far as HP goes but they are worth a mention.
    This crossed my mind for a moment but I'm going to try to play a small party, probably Neera or Nalia, Yoshimo, and Arie.

I think a monk might be too squishy through most of chapter two if she's the only one that goes in for close combat.

I guess my idea last night was to have a tank leading the small group without going down the fighter/mage or barbarian road.
  • DaevelonDaevelon Member Posts: 605
    If you like the idea of a "Divine Warrior" i don't suggest the inquisitor, because i like to use turn undead (this is not a powergaming opinion, it's fun for roleplaying)
    edited April 2015
    Daevelon said:

If you like the idea of a "Divine Warrior" i don't suggest the inquisitor, because i like to use turn undead (this is not a powergaming opinion, it's fun for roleplaying)

I like to base my selection of play through characters on a combination practical powers and role playing. I like the idea of having a holy warrior using turn undead and cleric spells but true sight and dispel are just so useful it's hard to 100% pick a Cavalier over Inquisitor.

Also, if I want to use divine spells and turn undead, why not just choose R/C or F/C?

If I had more time I'd start a game with all four characters and see what one I liked the most but I don't have time for that.

btw, i threw you an "insightful" for no other reason than having a Weekend at Bernie's picture.
  • MhamzaMhamza Member Posts: 228
    In BG2 EE, there's a true sight gem in Rasaad's quest and since Cavaliers are a paladin class you'll probably get Carsomyr eventually so you technically get a dispel.
    Mhamza said:

In BG2 EE, there's a true sight gem in Rasaad's quest and since Cavaliers are a paladin class you'll probably get Carsomyr eventually so you technically get a dispel.

That's a good point but the Inquisitor get to cast dispel at 0 speed at twice her level through the entire saga. That's an awesome "reset" button in the middle of a fight if something goes wrong. An Inquisitor can also take away every enemy's illusions as soon as Imoen opens up her cage.

Carsomyr is awesome though.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    There is already an Inq NPC so no reason to roll one. I'd say the choice is between R/C & Cavalier. You could roll 2 chars in multiplayer mode and just use 4 NPCs.
    I've used Keldorn multiple times while using the Charname as more of a utility player. Keldorn eventually became the most powerful person in the party. I would like to have a protagonist "leading the charge" so to speak.

Just not sure if Cavalier or a cleric variation would be more fun over Inquisitor. I'm actually leaning toward R/C right now.
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    Cavalier could make for an interesting tank.

Main Hand:Purifier (30% MR)
    Offhand: Defender of Easthaven (20% physical resistance)
    Spells: AOF (25% physical resistance) and Divine Might (physical stat boost)
    Hell Trials: 10% MR, +20% fire/electricity/cold resistance
    Cavalier: +20% fire/acid resistance
    Red Dragon Scale Armor: 50% fire resistance
    Dragon Helm: +25% fire/cold/electricity resistance
    Boots of Grounding: +50% electricity resistance
    Ring of Gax/Amulet of Seldarine: +20% magic resistance
    Lum the Mad: +5% Magic resistance

Total:

115% fire resistance
    100% poison resistance
    65% magic resistance
    70% electricity resistance
    45% cold resistance
    45% physical resistance
    20% acid resistance
    Immune to Fear

Those are some really nice resistances. It doesn't really matter what the enemy is throwing at you, that Cavalier is going to take it on the chin and will just keep coming. You can then have Keldorn tag along with him, who will have Carmosyr and the amulet of 10% MR. That'd give Keldorn a nice 60% MR as well, meaning both of your front line paladins will be able to shrug off spells like a boss.

Those are impressive stats but you have to do a lot of work to get them. By the time I would have all of those resistances, weapons, and ability to cast high level AoF and DuHM, the game will almost be over. I think the Cavalier has to get around 6 million xp to cast those low level spells at a high caster level, iirc. I have to go through Watcher's Keep for other things, which I don't do until ToB.

I feel like I keep talking myself out of taking a Cavalier even though those numbers are impressive.

End game power isn't that important to me since every character will be powerful one way or another by that time in a game without mods. That's probably why I always prefer to dual a level 9 Kensai to mage or thief instead of dualing at level 13 or taking a multi-class character. Multi-class characters are probably more powerful at the end of ToB but what about the journey from the start of SoA to the end?
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    edited April 2015
    Cavalier is still one of the best tanks, even before the endgame. Lay on Hands shouldn't be discounted for in-combat self-healing (it's basically +2 hp per level), and poison immunity and Protection from Evil can be quite powerful in the early-game. It's true they don't get the innate damage resistance of classes like the barbarian, but AoF actually gives similar bonuses at equal levels, and what else are you planning to spend those 1st level spell slots on? Plus cavaliers get access to heavy armor. All in all, I'd say the only class that tanks better than a cavalier is a dwarven defender.

Having said that, we're in the BG2 forum, and inquisitor is the unchallenged king of the paladin kits in BG2. Yeah, cavalier tanks well, and blackguard dishes out the damage, but nothing trivializes 2/3rds of the game's hardest fights quite like the inquisitor's dispel.

EDIT: Okay, my tanking assertion was ridiculous. Mage, sorcerers, druids, and bards all tank better than any warrior class in the game, once they get their defensive spells going. Cavalier is merely the best tank among the warrior classes.
    Interesting points about the barbarian vs cavalier vs dwarven defender, especially how how a paladin's AoF is essentially the same as the barbarian's damage resistance at similar levels. I never thought about it like that.

For me, barbarian vs cavalier comes down to the rage vs using carsomyr. I might actually give the nod to a half orc barbarian due to the rage and faster leveling.

I loved the idea of dwarven defender when I read about it. Then I got the game and played one and hated it in practice. The way the character slows down when defensive stance is active drove me nuts. It wasn't that big of a deal when the DD is surrounded but I like the option of moving around if I have to.
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    My favorite run through ever was as a cavalier. It just felt really cool going through the entire saga (well, BG2 saga anyways) with Keldorn and Anomen by my side. It was a long time ago, but I'm pretty sure my love interest was Jaheira too, so we had lots of divine magic to spread around. It's just too bad Ajantis wasn't available to join our Crusade!
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    edited April 2015
    Jarrakul said:

If your dwarf needs to move around a lot, your dwarf needs more dwarf. Or possibly more throwing axes. Same thing, really.

Made me laugh out loud.

OT: I want to give a little love to the F-C: human fighter 7-9 to cleric. Anomen is good, but a charname is always better than a NPC (maybe excluding Edwin). Pick any blunt weapon, flails being the obvious choice(FoA, DoE), but also warhammers (for optional ranged) if you want to exclude slings. You will level fast, you can dual at the start of BG2 at level 7 or wait a little longer, but the downtime will be short either way. With revised GM, your F-C will dish out very good damage with good APR. You will more quickly have higher level AoF and all other juicy clerical buffs (like DUHM, HP, Righteous Magic etc). Being single classed cleric allows you to take the divine spot yourself and you can happily remove other divine caster NPC's if you want to (although I prefer to keep a MC diviner around to get some overlapping, like Jaheira) and add in Keldorn, Minsc, Korgan, or any other tank to complement your Charname in the frontlines.
  • ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
    edited April 2015
    Even if Cavalier is slightly better as a pure tank I would still give a honorable mention to Blackguard.
    In fact, a blackguard dual wielding foebane and DoE (with the OP armor you get from Dorn quest as well in ToB) would basically be unkillable:
    AoF+DoE+ Armor that heals you by two HP every time you are dealt damage + Ring of Gaxx + Foebane is too much tankiness/regen.
    You would not get access to purifier, but Foebane is overall better and available earlier, and on the other hand you would have access to the armor I was talking about (which is not equipable by good-aligned characters).
    The only downside compared to cavalier would be fire and acid resistance. And a bit of magic resistance as well (though not so much with the 15% from the armor I mentioned) if you go for purifier (which is more roleplay than a sword that casts Larloch Minor Drain on hit on a paladin).
    But that comes with either increased regen (compared to cavalier if the cavalier goes for purifier) or Magic resistance ( compared to cavalier if the cavalier goes for Foebane), and still a huge advantage: Poison weapon

@Grum: in fact it would be even better than that because AoF actually gives 25% resistance against all damage.
  • YannirYannir Member Posts: 595
    @Grum Btw, Helm of the Rock trumps Dragon Helm, since it gives 25% resistance to acid and poison as well. Not to mention the ability it gets when upgraded. And if you have Purifier, you should have HotR as well.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    Yannir said:

@Grum Btw, Helm of the Rock trumps Dragon Helm, since it gives 25% resistance to acid and poison as well. Not to mention the ability it gets when upgraded. And if you have Purifier, you should have HotR as well.

Isn't it usable by non-ranger and non-paladin fighters only? My archer and Minsc were not able to equip it so I sold it for 1.5k
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure the Helm of the Rock is fighters only. Multiclassed fighters count, but rangers and paladins don't. Not sure about barbarians.
  • xscott71xxscott71x Member Posts: 63
    Why has no one even mentioned the Pally's innate +2 to saves?
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    Grum said:

You just need to get into that dwarven mindset. Imagine a dwarf planting his feet firmly in the ground, putting his shield in front of him, and yelling "Come an' get some, ye knee bitin' faerie fondlers!" while holding his axe out, ready to strike. Dwarfs don't run around like some kind of prancing elf in combat. No, they pick a spot, they ground themselves, and they kill anyone stupid enough to charge them.

LOL! We dwarfs are not good for distances. Very dangerous at close range!

• Max_DamageMax_Damage Member Posts: 48
    edited April 2015
    I always used to stick to the inquisitor. But recently, i tried the chavalier and ESPECIALLY the blackguard.

Wow wow first of all, the buffs like DuhM and armor of faith help a lot, then doom and command is kinda useful as well. Blackguard is amazing, the poison is very powerful and i think it stacks with itself. Also, nice debuff ability.

• DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    xscott71x said:

Why has no one even mentioned the Pally's innate +2 to saves?

Everyone forgets/ignores it I've noticed. It's the opposite of Shorty Saves, which are talked about constantly. :neutral: Which is fine, really, shorties are cool, but Paladins get a good save boost too. Not AS good, but good.
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    I've got the mod that removs racial restrictions, but I have never tried a dwarf paladin. They would get very nice saves indeed.
    I know for a while dwarf paladins actually crashed the game, because their max Charisma was lower than their min Charisma. I don't know if that's been fixed.
  • ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
    edited April 2015
    I have been thinking a little more about divine warriors lately, and it appeared that they clearly were the best tanks in game, even better than a dwarven defender in fact (they get up to 85% physical damage resistance when DDef gets up to 90% that's true, but they may resist all other kind of damage as well. Oh, and they get no movespeed penalty when they do so).
    My picks as best tanks would Blackguard on one hand (because they can equip that armor from Dorn's quest that makes them virtually invulnerable, and cavalier, though they resist a little better to fire and acid, cannot, because they are lawful good) and neutral/evil multi fighter cleric, for the exact same reason as Blackguard, except these got lvl 5+ priest spells, and these are really good, the most noticeable being of course chaotic commands which also gives them immunity to most status effects.
    Post edited by Arunsun on
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited April 2015
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @subtledoctor Why dual into ranger and not fighter?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited April 2015
    The user and all related content has been deleted.