Skip to content

Does anyone NOT want an IWD:EE?

neokarnyneokarny Member Posts: 39
I certainly don't. It's just not good enough of a game to warrant an EE release. It was fun for a playthrough or two, but even with my Infinity Engine fandom I couldn't begin to justify paying $20 just to have some improved visuals, smoother running, and maybe some NPC's and extra quests, etc. for a game that's ultimately just not up to par. All it has going for it in the end is it being IE, which only goes so far.

I know I can't be alone on this. Any thoughts?

Comments

• neokarnyneokarny Member Posts: 39
    I like IWD too, but I also like a lot of other games. However, that doesn't mean they should get re-released as an "EE."
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    /shrug

I'd like an EE of IWD too though.
  • SarevokokSarevokok Member Posts: 171
    I didn't like it.
  • KharasKharas Member Posts: 150
    Give me an IWD EE and IWD2 EE please!!

I absolutely loved the atmosphere that those games have.
  • eksterekster Member Posts: 234
    While IWD is no where near BG... it's still a fun RPG that is far better than anything I've seen released in the last couple of years, so I would still want it!
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    I never played IWD, so I can't say for sure what I'd think about an IWD:EE. I'd probably be in favor of it, if only because it would be a chance to play an old game I wouldn't otherwise play.

I would rather see PS:T get the treatment first, though. And I also think I would rather see Overhaul's New Project first.
  • DelvarianDelvarian Member Posts: 1,232
    Any EE they make for the IPad I will buy. Hear that Overhaul?! Challenge set.
  • BjjorickBjjorick Member Posts: 1,208
    i never played iwd 1/2, so i kinda would like to play it just to see if it's any good. I love the thought of large scale battles, but i enjoy story alot too, so not sure honestly if i'll enjoy it.
  • SilenceSilence Member Posts: 437
    edited August 2012
    My top 5 reasons why IWD:EE could be awesome:

1. Kits, kits, kits
    2. Subraces from IWD2
    3. Weapon styles from BG2
    4. An expanded library of random items - Great for replay.
    5. More quests and free range exploration a la BG1

Now why is IWD:EE unlikely? Because it never really endeared itself to a large library of hardcore RPG fans. Many preferred a more personal and malleable open-ended story with interactive NPCs. IWD is like D&D interpreted using a Diablo translator. It's an awesome game, but it's really more for technical D&D players than casual story gamers.
  • j3cwillj3cwill Member Posts: 51
    ekster said:

While IWD is no where near BG... it's still a fun RPG that is far better than anything I've seen released in the last couple of years, so I would still want it!

This. Yes, they are a different vein, but I still think they are fantastic!

• SallparadiseSallparadise Member Posts: 94
    I would buy it because A. $20 bucks really isn't that much money for a timekiller like that and B. Why not?

True, I really didn't like the game as much in comparison as BG because it used everything I disliked in these games (all dungeon crawling, designed to be used by the modders and people that play break the game etc)
  • BjjorickBjjorick Member Posts: 1,208
    @Kharas

the music is awesome and i've seen a picture of the game (movie) where it was the 6 against what looked like an army and the only thing i could think looking at (watching?) it was 'oh, hell yes'.

I don't care if the pc had a group of lvl 10/20 chars, and it was an army of goblins/xvarts :P Just the fact that someone actually sent an army after you. I think it was a picture now that i think more on it, and you were in the center of a circular room, and there were enemies coming from every direction (like long hallways). But when i installed IWD on my comp, it was 640 x 480 resolution, and my comp doesn't do that very well. And i didn't want to play part 2 without beating part 1 so not sure what to do

with bg, i have bgt with widescreen mod. why i do hope for IWD:EE, but not sure....
  • j3cwillj3cwill Member Posts: 51
    Some of the battles in the series are truly hair raising and stressful...great stuff:)
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    IWD with the updated engine would be awesome.
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    I'd actually really like an IWDEE and IWD2EE (although devs said that the ladder would be a PETA).

One thing I would like them to do however if they implement it is to add some NPC exports that you can just throw into your party. Don't get me wrong I've seen the NPC mods for both games. But especially for the first one they give you a paladin right out of the gate, and that's usually my class so =(
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    IWD is a stunning game, keep it alive, please!
    NPCs?
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    I agree with the OP, would have no interest in an IWD:EE. But sometime in the future when BG2:EE and BG3 are done I suppose it wouldn't hurt to look it over, either.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    You guys consider that maybe part of IWD:EE would be *giving it more depth?* After all that is exactly where it's lacking, y'all are completely correct. Unless of course they got another Shitty Contract of Limitations -2.
  • IndyDevIndyDev Member Posts: 2
    I think , if possible , the preference should go to PS : T . The combat and UI has a lot , A LOT of room to improve and with the fixes being done the same way as BG : EE , an enhanced and updated way to experience one of the best videogame stories , scratch that , one of the best stories ever told would be an incomparable pleasure . I'd buy it in a heartbeat :P.
  • mellotronheartmellotronheart Member Posts: 13
    I would totally play IWD:EE, if just for the music alone :)
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    Quartz said:

You guys consider that maybe part of IWD:EE would be *giving it more depth?* After all that is exactly where it's lacking, y'all are completely correct. Unless of course they got another Shitty Contract of Limitations -2.

I think adding in kits would provide all the depth I could want, turning a bland party like:
    Human Fighter
    Human Paladin
    Elf Bard
    Halfling Thief
    Dwarf Cleric
    Gnome Illusionist

Into:

Half-Orc Berserker
    Human Blackguard
    Elf Skald
    Halfling Assassin
    Dwarf Stormlord of Talos
    Gnome Wild Mage

Eeee! What fun! *claps*

• agrisagris Member Posts: 581
    Use all the engine refinements implemented once BG2:EE is out, hell yea they should do an IWD:EE. Might be a relatively low capital investment to bring a decent return, actually. and i would play the shit out of it.
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    I'd really love kits in IWD1. I understand not having kits in IWD2 but I really want them in IWD1.
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    I would say NO! IWD was not engaging at all, probably because there was no personality to any of the characters and, without that, you're talking about RPG depth of point and click. At least, to me. I played IWD and IWD2 once, and only once. There was nothing else that I wished to explore, no tale I wanted to uncover or approach I wish I'd tried.

Planescape Torment, however. I would pay $40 for that. Maybe even $59.99.