Skip to content

Interplay Reopens Black Isle Studios

GotNoUsernameGotNoUsername Member Posts: 49
Hi I read that Interplay reopened the Black Isle Studios.
Hmm may be the BG:EE is the reason ^^
Will this effect the contracts made for the BG:EE or the dev Team in any way ?Will that hinder the creation of BG3 ?
Or restrict the devs even more ?

What do you guys know and think of it ?

Source:.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/2012/08/23/interplay-black-isle/1

Comments

• GypsySocksGypsySocks Member Posts: 40
    Wow. They had better not interfere with this project, and the upcoming project
  • The_New_RomanceThe_New_Romance Member Posts: 839
    No one really knows much about this at the moment... it's very strange.
  • NWN_babaYagaNWN_babaYaga Member Posts: 732
    edited August 2012
    just because some cool guys knew that the oldschool RPg´s are great and timeless games i hope it´s not becoming the new trend for to many other´s to jump on the bandwagon and destroy in around 2 years what I think should better stay a gaming niche...
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    It's in name only. It won't involve anyone who was actually a part of Black Isle and made it good. I wouldn't get my hopes up.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    I choose to be optimistic. "Don't worry, be happy." Maybe the couple hundred or so of us in here are managing to generate more buzz than we realize, and we (actually Beamdog, who hopefully include "us" in their "we"), have collectively succeeded in casting a "Raise Dead" on a late, great studio, who will contribute positively to a new golden age ("platinum" age?) of classical Western rpg's.

(LOL - we live in an age where 15-20 years ago is a "classical" or "traditional" period.)
  • kiroskiros Member Posts: 119
    edited September 2012
    Wouldn't surprise me if the upcoming BGEE has a direct link in regards to Black Isle reforming.
    Quote from article "and renewed interest in our proven properties, I see an incredible success potential for Black Isle Studios."

Given the fact that none of the original staff will be joining back with Black Isle, I have my doubts at Black Isles success.
  • SargielSargiel Member Posts: 35
    Totally agree with the sceptics on this. All we can do is wait and see if we're pleasantly surprised without getting our hopes up too much.
  • mirkmirk Member Posts: 15
    I try to look optimistically at this. The worst that can happen is that they will create some games that a not worth our time. But on the other side something great can come out of this. And even if it is only the name without the original staff, the whole idea of creating something great is more than enough to inspire the new generation of developers like any of us who grew up loving those "classical" games. So let's just wait and see :)
  • kiroskiros Member Posts: 119
    edited September 2012
    mirk said:

I try to look optimistically at this. The worst that can happen is that they will create some games that a not worth our time.

Actually the worst they could do is ruin Baldur's Gate 3 (which I'm sure is one of the key reasons they re-formed the company).
  • mirkmirk Member Posts: 15
    kiros said:

Actually the worst they could do is ruin Baldur's Gate 3 (which I'm sure is one of the key reasons they re-formed the company).

Baldur's gates were developed by Bioware. Black Isle only published them.
  • RexfaroensisRexfaroensis Member Posts: 134
    kiros said:

mirk said:

I try to look optimistically at this. The worst that can happen is that they will create some games that a not worth our time.

Let's just hope this small community here will have sufficient influence to make them do something good.
  • TalvraeTalvrae Member Posts: 315
    bah at worse they will release bad games... At best they will release some good game and would up the concurence...
  • SceptenarSceptenar Member Posts: 606
    Someone should just put Interplay out of its misery... It used to be a great game studio, but it's been a zombie for years and doesn't own the rights to barely any of it's original IP. Interplay should just die, instead of ruining another franchise with a half-assed attempt at a game...
  • The_New_RomanceThe_New_Romance Member Posts: 839
    mirk said:

kiros said:

Black Isle was a development studio as well. Interplay was the main publisher. In the case of BG, though, it's a little difficult, als Bioware did the work and Black Isle did supervision. Or something along those lines.

mirk said:

kiros said:

Black Isle was a development studio as well. Interplay was the main publisher. In the case of BG, though, it's a little difficult, als Bioware did the work and Black Isle did supervision. Or something along those lines.
    And Now Atari own the D&D liscence so...
  • CloutierCloutier Member Posts: 228
    mirk said:

kiros said:

BG3 was being developed by Black Isle before it was canceled.

• KelesKeles Member Posts: 31
    edited September 2012
    Black Isle receives the ole 'raise dead' spell. we will have to wait and see if they can live up to the former incarnations great works. if they can't? they will flash and burn like so many others and ruin a good name in the process. ~
  • neokarnyneokarny Member Posts: 39
    I've heard that they have staff from the END of the former Black Isle. That is, some of the staff from when BI was canned. Does anyone know if this is true, or just a rumor?
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    I want to be Optimistic, but Black Isle is only a name. None of the old developers have come back into the fold- all of them have gone on to other things. Time will tell if this move was due to a Resurrection Spell or Animate Dead.
  • FelixFelix Member Posts: 39
    Most of the main devs moved to Obsidian who has done / is doing great things. They have no business using the 'raise dead' spell on Black Isle;)
  • DemossDemoss Member Posts: 52
    Surely even if its not the same people as long as they hire talented people it should be good no?
  • KelesKeles Member Posts: 31
    Demoss said:

Surely even if its not the same people as long as they hire talented people it should be good no?

talented people litter the pc game world out there but it takes a certain overall "vision" to make a great game.~
  • jpierce55jpierce55 Member Posts: 86
    Demoss said:

For all practical purposes Obsidian IS Black Isle with a new name. This Black Isle could end up being good, but only time will tell.
  • ScarsUnseenScarsUnseen Member Posts: 170
    Talvrae said:

Not true. They lost that a year ago.
  • TheGreatKhanTheGreatKhan Member Posts: 106
    I remember when they closed Black Isle. Now two weeks before EE ships they all of a sudden reopen it. Something sounds stranger there, I'm going to keep my eyes on them.

Talvrae said:

Not true. They lost that a year ago.
    So... It's Hasbro who have it now...
    @Talvrae and by association WotC, yes.

@Talvrae and by association WotC, yes.

All i'm saying, Interplay still don't have the right
    @Talvrae which I view to be a very, very good thing.