Skip to content

Castle Ravenloft IE game, Beamdog/WOTC why not??...or at least Dragon Lance

Just wondering now that were seeing a resurgence of the IE games enhanced editions and new ones as well (Adventure Y) which I love but have been wondering how come they havent made a good ravenloft game after Strahds Possession/based on castle ravenloft which I think still stands as the best D&D product out there in terms of numbers?

Would look at it as IWD style but different (and refreshing) change which now with the all horror genre in movies/tv etc so popular would for sure be a big hit plus you have all the great Ravenloft lore to go with castle ravenloft which can continue i.e house on gryphon hill, darklords/Azalin/Lord Soth, grand conjunction etc.

Talking about Lord Soth he's actually back in Dragonlance I think but that would make a great game as well.

Am I the only one here thats been wanting this and think it could even rival BG series or am I on crazy pills??
SethDavisJuliusBorisovjackjackMastaPangborn

Comments

• DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Ravenloft is not on par with FR in terms of valuable IPs, or even Dragonlance now, but some of it was really solid. Its a bigger name than stuff like Spelljammer or Black Sun, probably bigger than Planescape at this point, but I don't know if they could really count on hordes of interested gamers.

I could see something more akin to a mini-series, or something like Eternal Darkness where you explore a given realm to achieve a bigger picture goal. Its awfully hard to have a good ending in Ravenloft though. :neutral:

I really enjoy some of the stories though, I bought almost all of them over a period of years, re-read even the crummy ones a few times, even the bad stories had redeeming aspects.
    JuliusBorisovbrunardo
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    I think you'd have more luck with an action/adventure type game vs a 'by the numbers' D&D type adventure. I don't think people will have the right visceral reaction to something that's scary because it has a high strength score. Most people don't even really 'fear' Mind Flayers or Beholders, they just seem them as really cheesey in BG2, and dislike that.

If you make it more adventure based and less number dependent it becomes a better experience overall I think.
  • brunardobrunardo Member Posts: 526
    Yeah @DreadKhan its true FR is the popular choice but they really do have some great stories (read most of the lore too). Maybe as an add on though think castle ravenloft deserves its own stand alone game and think it could be great if done right. I thought strahds possession was great for its day with the awesome music score and running zombie golems lol
  • SilverbladeTESilverbladeTE Member Posts: 9
    I'd love them to redo Dark Sun Shattered Lands and Wake of the Ravager! :)
    Very buggy so fixes and updated graphics would rock

One of my Dark Sun renders ;)
    http://www.silverblades-suitcase.com/darksun/darksun_wasteland4_smallfile.jpg
  • brunardobrunardo Member Posts: 526
    Awesome pic @SilverbladeTE. remember this game frm back in the day