Skip to content

It was a Graveyard Smash (we did the Vampire Mash)

FrdNwsmFrdNwsm Member Posts: 1,069
Back from China for several days, and the enigmatic "L" still hasn't shown up. We still have the mystical dingus, which apparently has no real use. [Is Hexxat's quest over, or does it just take a while for word to get back to "L"?]

Meanwhile, when we got back, we found a new merchant had taken up a station right in front of the CC doors; I guess he wanted to make sure we noticed him. He had one or two decent items; the red ninja-to looked spiffy and would have been a good weapon for Jaheira, replacing Belm, but ... she can't use it. In fact none of us can! Whoever crafted this weapon didn't give a hang whether the user was good, evil or indifferent, as long as they followed the rules. Any rules, apparently. Only Lawful people could use it, and none of my guys would know a rule if it walked up and gob-smacked them.

The rest of his stuff was pretty bland, except for ... hello, what's this? A +5 sling that makes its own ammo??? GIMME DAT! Pricey, but +5 weapons don't grow on trees. I also realized I was still lugging around some scales I got off old Thax; took me a while but I finally thought to try having something forged from these. Got some scale mail that is pretty much the same as Ankheg plate except ... it can be used by anyone except Kensai and mages? Like, thieves maybe? I had Hexxat try it on for size, and it fit just right. Very nice.

OK, we figured we may as well keep Hexxat around while marching off to whack some bloodsuckers; that makes 3 of us who don't have to worry about level drains ... 8 if you toss in Viconia's skeleton crew. Vamps should be a pushover.

And most of them were, actually. Now, the dude who opened the door for us was promptly killed; I have no idea by what. Maybe he got scared and died of heart failure, or else the dreaded and implacable Plot Device got him. The opposition was fairly weak, however, and were easily defeateded. Pressing on, we disposed of several fledglings, and two vampires old enough to actually have names. These two did the gaseous form thing. It wasn't until later that we found a room with three coffins, two of which had vamps in them. I hope they liked their steaks bloody. (We had a good half dozen stakes by then, and put two of them to good use). Apparently apprentice vamps don't rate their own coffins. Do they stay in a dorm?

The only serious opposition was a clay golem. I have no idea if this is typical of the type or if this guy was special, but he was FAST! Even Hexxat with her boots of speed couldn't outrun him. So we all piled into him, but ... nobody could hit him? Leaving an elemental to keep him busy, we reviewed strategy [i.e., I went back over the battle log while pausing the action]. Viconia apparently was able to mar his paint job with her mace, and I had several decent blunt weapons in my nifty bag of holding, so we rearmed. That did the trick.

Searching the area, we found a pool of blood with a magic mace at the bottom. Hey, a little disease is a small price to pay for another weapon. (Someday I'll actually remember to bring some cure disease stuff with me).

Off to the foyer to rest before plunging into the depths.
Post edited by FrdNwsm on

Comments

• FrdNwsmFrdNwsm Member Posts: 1,069
    edited April 2015
    Again, everybody out there has probably been through this one, but if I don't put up a spoiler warning someone will complain.

8 hours later, we finished exploring the upper level. We found a room with a floor full of pointy bits and a central pool of blood. Gross, but we had seen the like before. There were also traps in the floor that were fairly nasty. We retreated, and I then sent Hexxat in to scout the area. No matter how slowly she moved, she never detected anything, and she still triggered traps. And apparently, they also reset; she almost got killed (or gassed, whichever term is appropriate for a mature vampire) before making it out.

Viconia then offered to rest up and memorize a find traps spell. We took her up on the offer and she discovered ... nothing at all! Except for some pain, as traps went off under her feet. This was the first time we had ever used this spell, considering it fairly useless since it didn't provide the caster with any means of disarming any traps discovered. This particular episode only confirmed what I already suspected; a totally useless spell indeed.

Great; a room filled with undetectable, undisarmable, resetting traps. Having no clue what this was about, we decided to head downstairs for some more stake.

More feeble opposition from fledgelings, a couple of greater ghouls and a few archer types. Sent them to their reward. Found a few items in a side room, then bumped into Lassal in a final chamber. He taunted us, said we were doomed and such; the usual bad bossman bravado when cornered. What, he couldn't see the strength of the opposition? We were gonna trash him SO badly. He must have been high; I didn't think the undead used drugs. Then he said he would meet us upstairs in the room of blood, and proceeded to book. Oh ... THAT'S what the trap room is about. Hmmm.

OK, I figured there wasn't much choice about how to approach this tactical problem. Korgan and I would berserk (having the most HP of the party) and we and Viconia's skeletons would rush him head on while hasted, take our lumps from the traps and whomp on the trash talking swine. It worked; he was gassed in 2 rounds. Back we went out.

Recalling that there had been one empty coffin in the coffin room, we went back, and sure enough, he was there. One more well-done steak, and he was done for.

At which point, Bhodi appeared. Why? How? From where? No idea. She engaged in some pointless airy verbal persiflage with us, and then attacked. We put a serious hurting on her; thumped her for 50 damage at which point she attempted to save face by saying "I have learned what I wanted to know". She then vanished.

Yeah right; you learned that we were capable of kicking your butt, that's what you learned! A blatant face saving measure on her part.

OK, back to town. If "L" still doesn't show up, I'll probably park Hexxat, Korgan and Edwin, wake up Yoshimo, Valygar and Neera, and explore that sphere thing.
    Post edited by FrdNwsm on
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    I *think* the traps in the blood-and-blades room are just supposed to represent the spiky floor. As far as I know, they can't be detected or disarmed by any means, probably because it's hard to disarm large metal spikes stuck in the floor. You'd think you could just avoid them, though, at least if you aren't in combat at the time.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    Congratulations on a succesful vampire hunt!

L's agent Cabrina will appear and give Hexxat another tomb job (and also will hit on her, ofcourse, for a time I thought if L represented a crude name for the group's sexual orientation) however it will take a week or two or even more. You may want to proceed with the main plot instead of waiting, when you come back to Athkathla, the remaining tomb job will (hopefully) be available.

And oh yes, vampires don't do drugs, but if they drink the blood from someone who has and is already high, they may get a head rush as well.
  • FrdNwsmFrdNwsm Member Posts: 1,069
    edited April 2015
    Jarrakul said:

I *think* the traps in the blood-and-blades room are just supposed to represent the spiky floor. As far as I know, they can't be detected or disarmed by any means, probably because it's hard to disarm large metal spikes stuck in the floor. You'd think you could just avoid them, though, at least if you aren't in combat at the time.

Well, Hell! If that's true, then the "you set off a trap" message is both stupid and misleading! How about something like "you stumble on the rough floor and accidentally step on a spike"? I spent 20 minutes trying to figure out a way to detect and disarm traps that weren't even there? What a lot of Horse manure!

Magically undetectable traps I could accept; maybe you need to hit the area with some dispel magic? I didn't think to try that. But inaccurate messaging is just poor game design.

• ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
    Joluv ( the merchant you've met) sells defender of Easthaven +3 as well, and this weapon is the best defensive weapon in game
  • abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307
    Stoneskins are the best way to deal with the spiky-room-of-blood... send in a scout with Skins and Haste and lure your prey to the rest of your posse waiting in the corridor (or a number of traps of your own construction).
  • YannirYannir Member Posts: 595
    There's also a clear route across the spiky floor. It isn't very obvious but if you cross it from where the spikes are lowest, they won't hurt you. You need to hug the wall and get around the biggest spikes. The north side of the room if I recall correctly.
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    lunar said:

And oh yes, vampires don't do drugs, but if they drink the blood from someone who has and is already high, they may get a head rush as well.

Aren't vampires immune to mind-affecting effects?
    FrdNwsm said:

The only serious opposition was a clay golem. I have no idea if this is typical of the type or if this guy was special, but he was FAST! Even Hexxat with her boots of speed couldn't outrun him. So we all piled into him, but ... nobody could hit him? Leaving an elemental to keep him busy, we reviewed strategy [i.e., I went back over the battle log while pausing the action]. Viconia apparently was able to mar his paint job with her mace, and I had several decent blunt weapons in my nifty bag of holding, so we rearmed. That did the trick.

I didn't realize that golems have gender.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460

lunar said:

Aren't vampires immune to mind-affecting effects?

Generally, yes. Smack them with a false dawn spell and they should act confused, according to spell description. Vampires are an odd-area, they imitate the living so well, their heart is their weakness, decapitation also works, and blood is vital to them. Plus they think, and desire, and plot. Compare to the mindless (common) zombie who has no weaknesses in its body, or thoughts in its head.
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    FrdNwsm said:

Well, Hell! If that's true, then the "you set off a trap" message is both stupid and misleading! How about something like "you stumble on the rough floor and accidentally step on a spike"? I spent 20 minutes trying to figure out a way to detect and disarm traps that weren't even there? What a lot of Horse manure!

Magically undetectable traps I could accept; maybe you need to hit the area with some dispel magic? I didn't think to try that. But inaccurate messaging is just poor game design.

Agreed. It's a very strange and misleading implementation. I remember spending some ungodly amount of time trying to figure out how to disarm them back in the day.