Skip to content

Fast (safe) XP in early BGEE

Some I know of...

Killing Firebead (cheesy and evil), I never personally do this. IIRC he is worth 4k or something and he still appears in Beregost later.

@Blackraven suggested sneaking along the High Hedge border into the North Coast area and taking down Shaol they nymph with ranged weaponry for a fast 5k.

Talking down Marl and carrying out Firebead's quest in Feldpost's is a fast and safe 1200xp (works out to a guaranteed level up if a solo char on level 1.

I wonder whether Basilisks are doable (at least some of them), with Korax the Ghoul's help (just stay well back and pepper with ranged weaponary). IIRC they're worth 7k (greater) and 4k (normal).

Anyone else got any decent/ better ones?
BlackravenproccoJuliusBorisov

Comments

• moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    Have you tested these? Fairly sure killing Firebead now results in him not being in Beregost. Basilisks are certainly killable at level 1 - especially if you can utilise any gaze reflection items.
    BlackravenmeaglothJuliusBorisovCrevsDaak
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    Basilisks are doable and very safe lvl one thanks to korax. If you have some money you could buy a scroll of haste, making it possible to clear the entire area, which can get you to (I think) level 6 depending on your class. thats a bit cheesey though. I did it on my early solo runs.
    GoturalCrevsDaak
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Killing Marl gives 650
    ArdulGoturalJuliusBorisovCrevsDaak
  • LordRumfishLordRumfish Member Posts: 937
    So we're emphasizing safe? Well... I like unlocking everything. Even if you have no intention of stealing the items, people don't mind if you unlock their doors and chests, so long as you don't peek inside. It may not seem like much XP, but hitting every lock in the Friendly Arm Inn, Beregost, Nashkel and the Nashkel Carnival can add up. Of course, you may run into a few unsafe encounters along the way doing that...

Winter wolves are easy to kill with ranged weapons when you have Gorion's belt. I almost always encounter a winter wolf in the zone with the drowned cat and the dryad, and winter wolves can be a random encounter going between zones in that area as well.
    tbone1
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    For berserkers, sirens are easy xp. They come clumped together. Run up in between all 3. Use a potion of speed from Imoen. Then hack them up.

Do this twice on the lighthouse map for an easy 12k experience. Very nice for a solo character!

jesterdesuJuliusBorisovGotural
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    Flesh golems in High Hedge are easy kills, with a magical ranged weapon. Just be sure to have some arrows+1, darts+1, bullets+1, or those throwing axes+1 from Beregost, depending on your proficiencies, then kite them and never let them touch you! They are easy 4k xp if you do it solo.

Shoal the Nereid is also worth a lot of xp if you solo and kite with a ranged weapon. You can get to lvl 4-5 instantly with just doing these two.
    jesterdesuJuliusBorisovCrevsDaak
  • jesterdesujesterdesu Member Posts: 373
    lunar said:

Flesh golems in High Hedge are easy kills, with a magical ranged weapon. Just be sure to have some arrows+1, darts+1, bullets+1, or those throwing axes+1 from Beregost, depending on your proficiencies, then kite them and never let them touch you! They are easy 4k xp if you do it solo.

Shoal the Nereid is also worth a lot of xp if you solo and kite with a ranged weapon. You can get to lvl 4-5 instantly with just doing these two.

Does this bother Thalantir? There are 3 more flesh golems in North Coast too.
    Grum said:

For berserkers, sirens are easy xp. They come clumped together. Run up in between all 3. Use a potion of speed from Imoen. Then hack them up.

Do this twice on the lighthouse map for an easy 12k experience. Very nice for a solo character!

I've never liked those b*****s much so would be good to chunk them early. Does Thalantir sell anything that might help non berserkers kill them?
  • VhaluusVhaluus Member Posts: 10

lunar said:

He doesn't care as long as you do it before talking to him
    CrevsDaakThacoBellsemiticgoddess
  • VhaluusVhaluus Member Posts: 10

Grum said:

I've never liked those b*****s much so would be good to chunk them early. Does Thalantir sell anything that might help non berserkers kill them?
    There is a potion in candlekeep inn in a locked chest upstairs that protects from the charm
    GrumJuliusBorisovCrevsDaakDJKajuru
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    Vhaluus said:

Grum said:

There is a potion in candlekeep inn in a locked chest upstairs that protects from the charm
    But you need 60 lockpicking or 20 strenght to get in... so no for anyone except thieves and barbarians...
    iirc the stupify those sirens use on you is worse as it's a continuous touch attack they seem to make. Still, beginning a new game with a Ranger npc, gna try the basi's early... so much xp!
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    elminster said:

Southpaw said:

Vhaluus said:

Grum said:

But you need 60 lockpicking or 20 strenght to get in... so no for anyone except thieves and barbarians...
    Ummm...you are thinking the jewel with 1000 gold. For that potion of clarity you'd need a 25. So you'd just need exceptional strength (any warrior or thief).
    Yea...right. Sorry. You are right.
    JuliusBorisovCrevsDaak
  • Eadwyn_G8keeperEadwyn_G8keeper Member Posts: 541
    edited March 2017
    Vhaluus said:

lunar said:

He doesn't care as long as you do it before talking to him
    Arrows of Biting are great against Golems. 2 per Golem should do it. My FMT usually does them solo but not entirely safe as the 2nd Golem can sometimes appear very close by. A non-archer Cleric can also block the hallway in Sanctuary-mode while Imoen picks off the brute squad. Just pay attention to timing on the spell.

If trying to stick to RP values I can imagine Thalantyr easily being tired of the Golems and just as glad to be rid of them because they have put a real crimp in his Cash flow.

Having enough gold in early game to purchase 10 Arrows of Biting can be achieved in 3 ways.
    1) Talk to Firebead 30 times in Prelude and in Beregost to get 300gp each time. Such a sweetie. Or maybe he senses a good opportunity to make a shrewd investment!!
    2) If Charname is very strong [18/91+?] there is a Bastard Sword+1 to be looted afterhours in the Smithy. Fetches a good price if you want to sell it.
    3) There is a Diamond to be looted somewhere in Beregost to go with the one found near Montaron and Xxar.

Leftover Arrows of Biting can make Silke and the Bounty Hunter a bit less risky or save them for Unshey's Ogre.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    Slightly off topic, but I believe that the creature who gives the single most xp in bg when you kill them is Shandalar in Ulgoths Beard.
    Useful for solo characters to know