Skip to content

IWD2 on Win 8.1

gibby290gibby290 Member Posts: 19
Greetings IE Fans,

Is there a definitive guide to getting IWD2 to run on Windows 8.1? I haven't had much success and would love to actually finish the game. (I bought the complete version from GOG).

Sean

Comments

• jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    edited April 2015
    I have a few months old laptop and it seems to run just fine, but you might want to go into the game folder and mess around with the config file to see what you can do. It might have something to do with your video card. I simply have a integrated one so it doesn't cause me much trouble with anything, but I've heard people with Nvidia having some problems. I'd also do a Google search and read up in the GOG Community forums for the game, I've fixed a load of problems with many games by referring to threads there.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited April 2015
    Try making sure the game is not installed in any program files folder. I know in Windows 7 that can cause issues. Not sure about windows 8.1.
    jackjack
  • AristilliusAristillius Member Posts: 873
    Hmm, it runs fine on my Windows 8.1, I do not think I did anything special to make it work. What troubles are you having?
    JuliusBorisov
  • proccoprocco Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 915
    My only gripe running it on windows 8.1 is I can't get the resolution to look right without playing windowed, which I absolutely hate. I cant get it to not scale up to 1366x768 without everything getting stretched out. It's totally playable but looks a little weird. I tried the widescreen mod but that breaks the UI. Anyone have tips on getting it scaled...I'd even settle for the black borders on the sides, I just hate having my desktop showing.
    Maybe the answer is changing my desktop to a nice wood and stone theme? ;)
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    procco said:

My only gripe running it on windows 8.1 is I can't get the resolution to look right without playing windowed, which I absolutely hate. I cant get it to not scale up to 1366x768 without everything getting stretched out.

The original game was in 4:3 aspect ratio, so any time you try and scale it to a widescreen display (such as 1366x768), it's going to look stretched, regardless of you OS. As far as how to remedy this, I think you should be able to by going into your graphics settings utility (e.g. Nvidia Control Panel). In there you should hopefully find a section called something like 'scaling mode'. You want to change it to "maintatin aspect ratio" or something similar.
    procco
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    edited May 2015
    procco said:

My only gripe running it on windows 8.1 is I can't get the resolution to look right without playing windowed, which I absolutely hate. I cant get it to not scale up to 1366x768 without everything getting stretched out. It's totally playable but looks a little weird. I tried the widescreen mod but that breaks the UI. Anyone have tips on getting it scaled...I'd even settle for the black borders on the sides, I just hate having my desktop showing.
    Maybe the answer is changing my desktop to a nice wood and stone theme? ;)

Best you can reasonably run it at is 1024x768, by using the config tool in the folder. It still looks pretty good. Be aware, however, to save before your battle with the treants. For this section of the game, you need to switch it back to 800x600, or the game will crash....stuff like this is why we need an Enhanced Edition. This game just simply was never given any attention in the modding community.
    procco