Skip to content

Baldurs gate EE familiars

Hi guys,
I have just picked up the game quite recently and i've noticed that the familiars are pretty weak when you get into the later chapters of the game as they dont seem to level or scale with your characters levels as i think they should... does anyone know of a mod that can fix this? I've had a look around but can't seem to find anything...

Comments

• memos12345memos12345 Member Posts: 4
    bump bump
  • hisplshispls Member Posts: 166
    They're supposed to be weak. They are tougher than the "normal" version of the same creature type but still just a small animal and should not realistically hold up to an ogre, wyvern, or 6-7th level enemy party. They can be useful scouts when stealthed, but are mostly just for the HP boost at early levels and should be kept safely in your pack unless you have a specific use for them (thieving abilities).

In P&P and in BG games the familiar is not intended to be another party member or a front liner like a summoned monster. In P&P there were stiff penalties for allowing your familiar to die so they are generally intended to be kept far out of harm's way.
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    To add to this, originally the familiars were overpowered for the threats in BG since familiars were only added, iirc, in BG2 and became retroactively added to BG:EE. It was pretty silly.
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    BGT also had OP familiars. They were so awesome I always had to play a mage just for the familiar or I thought I was missing out on something. Beamdog brought them down to 'OK' instead of 'OP'. I do miss my ass-kicking quasit of the good old days, though...
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    Hello, @memos12345 and welcome to the forum!

The familiars were nerfed for BGEE. Why? @Malicron had it right: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/12530/my-cat-saved-my-life/p1
  • dibdib Member Posts: 384
    Familiars are basically just a HP boost that you trade in for an inventory slot, nothing more.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    They scale in power in Shadows of Amn and in ToB. So you'll have to wait until then to see stronger familiars.
  • Fiendish_WarriorFiendish_Warrior Member Posts: 309
    I wish there was more interaction with them but that would've required changing a lot. For example, it would be hilarious if they provided counsel when making important main-quest dialogue decisions. Good ones could recommend the better outcomes while evil ones could recommend worse outcomes but use entertaining / terrible reasoning while neutral ones could recommend the most selfishly beneficial outcomes. They could even whisper these things so that the others need not interact with them or acknowledge them. At least that would've given me an incentive to take them out of my bag more.
  • YamchaYamcha Member Posts: 486
    is it possible to change the familiar with help of the shadowkeeper or NI ?

I dont like being chaotic neutral, but I dont like the pseudo dragon as familiar either ^^
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    @Yamcha Change your alignment while casting the spell then change it back.
  • YamchaYamcha Member Posts: 486
    I already cast that spell
  • domeplsffsdomeplsffs Member Posts: 36
    @Yamcha Well, you can allways edit the Familiar in your Inventory. =)
  • HudzyHudzy Member Posts: 300
    What's happening with the hit point boost between BG1:EE and 2:EE at the moment? The last I saw it was keeping the bonus hit points from the first game and adding additional points from the second making the total too high.

Also what happens when you transition to ToB, do you get the boosted hit points automatically? Assuming the familiar still gets upgraded in ToB.