Skip to content

Do romances cancel each other out? (Spoilers)

First I apologize if this is in the wrong forum.

Alright now what I'm doing in this play through is I have Jaehira, Aerie, Neera, and Viconia all in the same party as me along with Misnc.

My goal is to romance Aerie, but I don't know if having all of the romance options in the party will cancel hers out. I know Aerie and Jaehira have an argument and force me to choose, but I don't know if it works that way with Neera and Viconia.

Thanks in advance <3.

Comments

• Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    There usually comes a time when they confront you about your mixed feelings, and as @Jalily says, they will make you choose.

If you want to have multiple romances running, there is a truckload of options in the BG2Tweaks mod to cheat a little (or a lot) on the romance parameters.
  • Flyting_SkaldFlyting_Skald Member Posts: 11
    Jalily said:

You will eventually have to choose one.

This is actually what I was looking for thank you!

There usually comes a time when they confront you about your mixed feelings, and as @Jalily says, they will make you choose.

If you want to have multiple romances running, there is a truckload of options in the BG2Tweaks mod to cheat a little (or a lot) on the romance parameters.

Ah I've seen some of these around after I googled my question a few times. I'm trying to avoid modding for now until I see everything the base game can offer me ;)

• kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704

Jalily said:

You will eventually have to choose one.

This is actually what I was looking for thank you!

Ah I've seen some of these around after I googled my question a few times. I'm trying to avoid modding for now until I see everything the base game can offer me ;)

As an exception, mod NPCs will not conflict with official NPCs romances by default, but the modder can write the NPC to specifically conflict. Mod Npcs very rarely conflict with other mod NPCs.
  • DruericDrueric Member Posts: 42
    edited April 2015
    The romance with aerie is the only one I find satisfying. The others are just rather annoying. Im reckon a romance with mazzy would end up well also, if it were possible, since she isnt such female dog like the others or just straight up annoying.

Anyone notice how nalia kinda looks like drew barrymore? but there is no way i would try to romance her if it was possible.... she also is very annoying.

I dont understand why some races cannot romance in this game... I mean... a half orc with 18 charisma is a damn good looking half orc I dont see why one couldnt get a girl.
  • ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
    Neera's Romance is quite good as well.

Rasaad is very poorly written. Like it was written by a 12yo kid
    Drueric said:

The romance with aerie is the only one I find satisfying. The others are just rather annoying.

See the way I'm playing is I always get really attached to one character and kinda work it in somehow. My character originally was going to go after the Viconia, but after the events with Irenicus he started to relate with Aerie more and a relationship blossomed. Viconia was not pleased and left the party :( (This was my own doing to kind of.. keep with a narrative between party members)
    Drueric said:

Anyone notice how nalia kinda looks like drew barrymore?

I don't really see the resemblence all that much, but Aerie honestly looks like the russian model Olesya Kharitonv.

http://i.imgur.com/c4z40eq.jpg - Russian Model

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/forgottenrealms/images/c/cb/Aerie.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20070311221242 - Aerie
    Drueric said:

I dont understand why some races cannot romance in this game... I mean... a half orc with 18 charisma is a damn good looking half orc I dont see why one couldnt get a girl.

Mostly I think its because of pre-existing race issues and relations. My half-orc managed to romance Viconia, but I think thats the extent of half-orc relationships. I can understand why Aerie wouldn't like a half-orc, but Jaehira? Hm.

I can understand why Aerie wouldn't like a half-orc

You can understand why someone wouldn't like you purely because of the race you were born as and no other reason?

I can't.

I can understand why Aerie wouldn't like a half-orc

You can understand why someone wouldn't like you purely because of the race you were born as and no other reason?

I can't.
    well I mean from an elf stand point. For example since certain elves seem to have a very religious culture and the orc god and elf god never really got along.

I mean in all fairness being open minded would be ideal, but Aerie seems to come from a place where she has little exposure to the outside and the only exposure she got was in a circus as a freak/slave. So pre-existing prejudice brings about more prejudice against certain races until the pre-established prejudice is broken down.

Maybe I'm thinking to much into it.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Elves are such racists.
  • st_live418st_live418 Member Posts: 41
    I've never had much of an issue with the race restrictions in these games. Is it fair? Not really. But that doesn't mean it doesn't add a sense of realism. Many people in the real world also limit their romantic partners based on things such as outer appearance and race; again, while it might not be fair it is something occurs regularly in the real world. That along with things others have mentioned concerning past relations between races within Faerun and their religious beliefs as well.

Sometimes, in my opinion at least, you have to sacrifice a little fairness for the sake of realism. But I also think that such limitations will encourage players to create different characters and have multiple playthroughs (as opposed to just making the same character over and over again).

I've never had much of an issue with the race restrictions in these games. Is it fair? Not really. But that doesn't mean it doesn't add a sense of realism. Many people in the real world also limit their romantic partners based on things such as outer appearance and race; again, while it might not be fair it is something occurs regularly in the real world. That along with things others have mentioned concerning past relations between races within Faerun and their religious beliefs as well.

Sometimes, in my opinion at least, you have to sacrifice a little fairness for the sake of realism. But I also think that such limitations will encourage players to create different characters and have multiple playthroughs (as opposed to just making the same character over and over again).

While your argument has a lot of merit, do keep in mind that there is no realism in a fantasy world that you don't put there. If people within the setting behave in a certain way, it's not because of inherent properties you have no influence over, it's because the creators of that world decided to make them that way. "But that's just how people are" is not a valid excuse if what people are is entirely up to you. In the real world, it isn't; in fantasy worlds, it is.
  • ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592

While your argument has a lot of merit, do keep in mind that there is no realism in a fantasy world that you don't put there. If people within the setting behave in a certain way, it's not because of inherent properties you have no influence over, it's because the creators of that world decided to make them that way. "But that's just how people are" is not a valid excuse if what people are is entirely up to you. In the real world, it isn't; in fantasy worlds, it is.

Yours works in both ways as well. As it is not the real world, people might as well be less open-minded to such things than we are in real world, which would explain these racial restrictions.
    Definitely true.

Which, I suppose, tells us a lot more about the creators of the world than the world itself. Though to be honest I don't think a lot of thought went into the whole thing, it was probably more of an intuitive development mimicking real-world situations without too much reflection. The people who made D&D originally didn't want a sociological thought experiment, they wanted elves and dwarves and orcs slaying dragons and throwing fireballs.

Still, something to think about. We've come a long way in world building across many genres and platforms, yet it's very often still the same patterns repeated over and over. Makes you wonder how aware people even are of their own ingrained behaviors, doesn't it?