Skip to content

Does anyone NOT want an IWD:EE?

Comments

• SeldarSeldar Member Posts: 438
    IceWind Dale 1 & 2 are still better than Skyrim and Dragon Age
  • lordkimlordkim Member Posts: 1,063
    Tanthalas said:

I actually like the game.

That doenst count as a valid answer to the topic ;)

I like it, but dont need to see an Enhanced Version. :P
  • Twilight_FoxTwilight_Fox Member Posts: 448
    Yeah, +1 for
    Iwd:EE and Iwd2:EE
  • simulacrumsimulacrum Member Posts: 5
    before i tried bg2, icewind dale was my favorite game of all time. while i like baldur's gate 2 a bit more, i still love iwd so much for its atmosphere and great adventure. so yeah, definitely would like iwd:ee one day.
  • DjimmyDjimmy Member Posts: 749
    IWD 1,2 are awesome. Period. Enchanced Editions? Hell yeah!
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    Seldar said:

IceWind Dale 1 & 2 are still better than Skyrim and Dragon Age

Whoa, whoa, let's not get crazy. Dragon Age and Skyrim are pretty awesome.
  • AntonAnton Member, Moderator, Mobile Tester Posts: 513
    edited August 2012
    I can`t even remember what this game was about.. So yes, I do agreed with OP.
    Better go for PST:EE or something..

P.S. Just for the Balance over here ;)
  • jmanreisjmanreis Member Posts: 39
    I wouldn't buy that one. I would rather have them put their efforts into a new title.
  • _Q__Q_ Member Posts: 48
    I find the IWD games to be pretty bland. I don't think I'd buy EE versions of them. I'd much rather see Planescape: Torment EE.
  • RyknRykn Member Posts: 30
    If they added a good story then I would buy it. Otherwise no. Planescape on the other hand..........
  • neokarnyneokarny Member Posts: 39
    I didn't realize not wanting an EE release somehow means the same thing as "I dislike this game." Why do so many people ignore the fact that I said I like IWD?

Nostalgia goggles + fan[boy/girl] + someone disagreeing = ignoring the obvious.
  • WardWard Member Posts: 1,305
    edited September 2012
    Some of you don't realize there are a lot of people who LIKE to play Icewind Dale, and appreciate for the things you fail to acknowledge (like the story).

People who don't like IWD have either,
    a): Played BG first and are biased and unappreciative.
    b): Need to be spoonfed a story, unable to recognise the story that already exists. Besides, BG1 has as 'little story' as IWD anyway.
    c): Trolls.

IWD is better than BG1. That is for sure. IWD doesn't need any premade NPCs for your 'immersion', if you're all too lonely to make your own silent, but highly customized characters with their own stories, then tough titties.

Where on earth are you going to put NPCs? Pile them all in Kuldahar? There is not enough room to justify the amount of NPCs you people want.

Also, I don't support the idea of making IWD run like BG, like 79 kits and weapon styles to appease you all. Keep it the way it is, just make it run better physically and visually. Add some quests, don't add NPCs, and some more 'main story' for the wanters.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    @Ward for me, the unappealing aspect of IWD is the amount of time required to "get started". For as long as it takes me to create a character in Baldur's Gate, I'd have to do it six times for Icewind Dale, which is an awful long time before you get into the game itself. To me, that's the main draw of Baldur's Gate over Icewind Dale: you just have to make one character and you're ready; the other characters will join you as you journey.

That said, the atmosphere of IWD is really appealing to me. I would definitely play it if it received the Enhanced treatment.
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    @Ward Seems more like you're the one trolling. By your line of reasoning The Sims is also better than BG, and if you don't think so it's because you have to be spoonfed a story and can't appreciate the simlish-speaking but highly customized characters with their own stories.
  • IsairIsair Member Posts: 217
    I would love to see an EE of IWD (unsurprising with my name). I'm not sure whether they'd use the BG kits or use the IWD2 engine. If they did however use IWD2s engine (on IWD1) I'd like to see prestiges and Improved/greater two weapon fighting, extended and empowered spells etc.

Fantastic games, I didn't think the plots were as good as BG but what else is? Great battles too, stealing from the tomb of the Black Raven and fighting four iron golems at once comes to mind(IWD2). Both were visually spectactular as well.

After BGEE and BG2EE are done and dusted there's nothing more I'd rather do than play IWDEE, that's what I've always done.
    edited September 2012
    Shin said:

@Ward Seems more like you're the one trolling. By your line of reasoning The Sims is also better than BG, and if you don't think so it's because you have to be spoonfed a story and can't appreciate the simlish-speaking but highly customized characters with their own stories.

The Sims is a game where sadistic bastard childs torture virtual people using virtual high end electronics paid for with their high end virtual employment and free lifestyle.

Just because you get to choose their names and write some uncreative life story for them doesn't relate it to Icewind Dale at all, so your 'argument' is irrelevant. Icewind Dale is every bit related to Baldur's Gate, though, because somehow you people think there are about 10 - 20 people just casually hanging around Kuldahar waiting to join you in your party.

There's no reason to hate IWD so much, unless you don't enjoy lots of fighting. It has no more fighting than BG1 and no more story either. It's just not as free, probably because of the snow.
    Ward said:

Some of you don't realize there are a lot of people who LIKE to play Icewind Dale, and appreciate for the things you fail to acknowledge (like the story).

People who don't like IWD have either,
    a): Played BG first and are biased and unappreciative.
    b): Need to be spoonfed a story, unable to recognise the story that already exists. Besides, BG1 has as 'little story' as IWD anyway.
    c): Trolls.

IWD is better than BG1. That is for sure. IWD doesn't need any premade NPCs for your 'immersion', if you're all too lonely to make your own silent, but highly customized characters with their own stories, then tough titties.

Where on earth are you going to put NPCs? Pile them all in Kuldahar? There is not enough room to justify the amount of NPCs you people want.

Also, I don't support the idea of making IWD run like BG, like 79 kits and weapon styles to appease you all. Keep it the way it is, just make it run better physically and visually. Add some quests, don't add NPCs, and some more 'main story' for the wanters.

Seems like you don't realize that there are a lot of people with different opinions than you, and they are entitled to them as much as you are entitled to yours. ;)
    edited September 2012
    @Neokarny Opinions have a basis, and where the basis is "There aren't 20 NPCs hanging around every corner of Lower Dorn's Deep, so this game is bad", then I do not understand such opinions.

The reasons for people's disliking of IWD are rather petty, and perhaps they just have not played to the end of the game. The real pay off is the victory, because the story comes to a ripe conclusion. I bet most people didn't get up to Dragon's Eye.

Since IWD offers no less fighting or no more story than Baldur's Gate 1, then I can only conclude you people don't like snow. I think it's a fantastic game and it's a shame BG came first, since it never got any recognition.

I'm entitled to my opinion, and my opinion is THEIR opinion is unjustified.

@Aosaw Now that is a justified opinion. The character creation IS a drag, but once you get past, fun begins. If NPCs were added, they'd have to think very hard about how to distribute them so it didn't look unthoughtful.
  • IsairIsair Member Posts: 217
    I like snow.
    @Isair So do I.
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    @Ward It relates in the sense that your reasoning comes off as that if you don't prefer silent, tabula rasa-style characters where all the RP and most of the plot is implied to take place in your mind; then it's obviously because you need to be spoonfed a story. That can indeed be said about a lot of games which are low on story and immersion but high on point-and-click or combat oriented gameplay, which serves to illustrate that it isn't necessarily the case.

And it's not a matter of stacking NPC:s in Kuldahar but rather a design philosophy that went in a different direction from the start, that some people just don't find very appealing.
    edited September 2012
    @Shin I didn't say "If you don't prefer X, then you need to be spoonfed a story". I said, if people don't like IWD, and since most of the complaints are about the story, then clearly, they need to be spoonfed. Since the story is very real and obvious and well written, just in smaller portions.

Where as BG2 is a story which is constantly reminding you of your undeniable path to godhood, IWD offers you small, finger sandwiches at certain intervals. Just like BG1. Some people want a constant story, that's fair enough. But the story in IWD does much better than BG1.
    Ward said:

@Neokarny Opinions have a basis, and where the basis is "There aren't 20 NPCs hanging around every corner of Lower Dorn's Deep, so this game is bad", then I do not understand such opinions.

I really don't think anyone gave an opinion in favor of "20 NPCs hanging around every corner of Lower Dorn's Deep," but correct me if I'm wrong! :)
    Ward said:

The reasons for people's disliking of IWD are rather petty, and perhaps they just have not played to the end of the game. The real pay off is the victory, because the story comes to a ripe conclusion. I bet most people didn't get up to Dragon's Eye.

Perhaps some haven't, but others have. I have, and I do like IWD.
    Ward said:

Since IWD offers no less fighting or no more story than Baldur's Gate 1, then I can only conclude you people don't like snow. I think it's a fantastic game and it's a shame BG came first, since it never got any recognition.

Then does that mean you prefer IWD over BG because of the snow?
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    edited September 2012
    I played the game one time, after that i could not replay it, too boring. The storyline is good, but with the lack of banters and social consequences for my behavior, no matter if played as a good or evil character the game was pretty the same for me.

The rare chances to see the alignment take place on the game where in some points of the main quest, and that's not enough for me. The side quests are too small and ridiculous in this game, and i dare to say that some world change mods from Baldur's Gate where even better than IWD.

It's a one play time game in my view, a little better than NWN2 but only that. Vanilla RPG style games that don't care about NPCs behaviors don't have much impact for me. My first time was very cool indeed, but after that, the game lost it's glamour in me.
    Zafiro said:

I see no reason for this discussion, it's like saying if I don't like it, than nobody should like it.

No, it's like say: I don't like it so please don't waste time on this and work in better EE games (like Planescape: Torment). The guy raised an good question and gave it a reason: Make or not an EE version, so or you didn't understand his first post or you just want to defend IWD.
  • JolanthusJolanthus Member Posts: 292
    kamuizin said:

I played the game one time, after that i could not replay it, too boring. The storyline is good, but with the lack of banters and social consequences for my behavior, no matter if played as a good or evil character the game was pretty the same for me.

How often were you in social situations in Icewind Dale. You're out on the frontier, miles away from any civilisation. Baldurs gate didn't really have any consequence for good and evil except for the price of things in the store or if your reputation dropped too low you got hounded by the flaming fist.
  • Roller12Roller12 Member Posts: 437
    the only thing i really hated about IWD was semi random loot. Random loot is horrible. I kill a dragon and want to find the Carsomyr and not random junk.
  • cattlekillercattlekiller Member Posts: 55
    I loved Icewind Dale.
    And would be very disappointed if other games get remade and not this great game.

BG had great story , NPC interactions, and huge world to explore.
    Icewind Dale was just as good , but different reasons.

I liked creating my complete party very much I know BG you can create your party, but if you do you get penalized for it cause you miss out on the NPC's quest.I think Icewind dale is better Multiplayer as well , being less open and less dialog the game keeps moving much better and keeps players busy.The battles in Icewind Dale seemed bigger in scale to , especially in Icewind dale 2.

I vote more EE versions not less!
  • DemossDemoss Member Posts: 52
    I have only one thing to say about IWD and it works perfectly fine on Win7 as is (maybe some mods) but it's not in the condition that BG1 was, ie unplayable due to constant crashing. (in its native engine not BG2)

Also, that add-on sucked, made everything stupidly hard and i liked IWD.

Planescape... not sure, there's 3 files that make it a ok on modern systems sooo :/.