Skip to content

Minsc's Weapon Mastery Change from BG1 to BG2

ChrisYuiChrisYui Member Posts: 94
edited August 2012 in Archive (Feature Requests)
I remember always having a bit of a beef with Minsc's change from BG1 to BG2. In BG1 he was my favorite two handed wielder, but seemingly randomly at the beginning of BG2 they changed his proficiency points to only have Two Weapon Style. Naturally you can still build him to be proficient in two handed weapons, but isn't it strange that those points just dissapear? I always thought it was some kind of oversight or mistake with the new proficiency slot, since it says "Two Weapon Style" instead of something like "Dual Wielding".

I can't see anywhere where anyone else has really noticed this though. Is it just me? In any case I'd like to request some consistency between BG1 proficiency points and BG2 proficiency points.

Comments

• kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    That's because of the upgrade between BG and BG2 infinite engine, both games gonna be made in the same version of infinite engine now, so there's not gonna exist this problem anymore.
    HvitrEbrithil
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    He is actually consistent. In vanilla BG1 he has 2 points in large swords, 1 in bows and 1 in blunt.

In BG2 he gets 2 free points in dual wield for being a ranger, and then has points in 2h swords (large swords), maces (blunt) and lowbows (bows). His choices in 2 are logical extensions of his starting proficiencies. Not allocated in a particularly power-gamey way though.
    MoomintrollsandmanCCLAntonNecdilzor
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    Corvino said:

...Not allocated in a particularly power-gamey way though.

Do not question the training of Boo! He has foreseen these weapons and taught Minsc all that he must know and all that he must do. Right, Boo?
    AntonNecdilzorSyntia13
  • ChrisYuiChrisYui Member Posts: 94
    Hmm. Guess my memory is bad then. Whoops.
    @reedmilfam Boo works in mysterious ways.
    @Corvino You - you - you! You know the mystery of Boo!
    @reedmilfam there are religions founded on stuff a lot weirder than omniscient miniature giant space hamsters.
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    "Only Ryu banish akuma from people" haddouken to that my fellow friends!!! (but if akuma use the secret, we're fucked XD)
  • RexfaroensisRexfaroensis Member Posts: 134
    Corvino said:

He is actually consistent. In vanilla BG1 he has 2 points in large swords, 1 in bows and 1 in blunt.

In BG2 he gets 2 free points in dual wield for being a ranger, and then has points in 2h swords (large swords), maces (blunt) and lowbows (bows). His choices in 2 are logical extensions of his starting proficiencies. Not allocated in a particularly power-gamey way though.

Wait... Do all rangers get free points in dual wield?
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    Yup. Two free pips for every ranger - even those with all-seeing rodents as guides.
  • pacekpacek Member Posts: 92
    Corvino said:

I thought it was large swords, axes and spiked???
    lolien
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790

Wait... Do all rangers get free points in dual wield?

Yes. That explains why Minsc has them.

Necdilzor
    @Corvino I do not understand. Are you implying that mini giant space hamsters are odd, or agreeing to the fact that everything is stranger than miniature giant space hamsters? Boo is confused.
    @reedmilfam I imply nothing. There's religions based on all kinds of odd stuff. Gnostic beliefs include that the world was created an imperfect or evil being. Scientology (allegedly, don't sue me) holds some interesing ideas about aliens, the migration/escape of humanity from another planet and so on.

By comparison, worshipping an animal embodiment of some concept or value is distinctly normal. Or even a miniature giant space hamster.
    @Corvino - Worshipping mini giant space hamsters is the only one of those that makes sense to me. These other seem outlandish. Right, Boo?