Skip to content

Will Cleric/Wild Mage Multiclass (I edited my save) spoil me for my first playthrough?

I'm using Battle Enhancer mod since SCS edits the tlk file and I can't do that on Android. I'm not sure what I can install that's not going to need the use of the tlk file so I opted for Battle Enhancer.

I have also made a wild mage/cleric multiclass. I've played a bit of it, on and off. But never gotten too far.
What I'm worried is that since I'll have both Priest and Mage spells, it might make the first playthrough seem too easy. I'm planning on going through the game on core difficulty and avoiding anything that I know of that's considered cheap, infinite spells through limited wish, I'm limiting consumables and resting. Just sort of generic limits.

All in all would Cleric/Wild Mage be a good or bad idea for my first proper playthrough? I'm used to Neverwinter Nights and alreayd know a fair bit about 2.5 so in terms of mechanics, I should be fine.

Comments

• moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    It should be fine - a Cleric/Mage will require some decent micromanagement to get the most out of them whilst still being somewhat vulnerable in combat at times.

It's a fun combo - I think you'll need to be careful as modding your class to have the Wild Mage kit means your clerical spells will be subject to wild surges too
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    A Wild Mage/Cleric is perfectly viable. Cleric/Mages in general are quite resilient in BG2, and have some nice options in BG1 as well. Wild magic won't wreck the character, either. I don't think Wild Mage is a very good kit, but it certainly won't be a bad idea, since this isn't a no-reload run.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Wild Magic might drive you nuts, but otherwise you should be fine.
  • XobehXobeh Member Posts: 10
    I plan on only reloading if my entire party dies for the most part or else if my party is about to wipe. Bad rolls of the dice won't bother me. Unless I can't actually resurrect a party member then I'll reload.

Wild surges do happen with Cleric spells which is actually very fun.

All I was worried about is will having both Cleric and Mage spells on one character spoil me too much in terms of power/versatility. I've played BG 2 a bit before and know how mages are very powerful

I tried doing mage/fighter and felt it was way, way too OP. For the most part it was just CC spells like sleep, then go to town in melee.
    So this seemed the logical choice. Since Imoen is a thief, I won't need one. I know I'll take Minsc but the other three can be whoever.
    This way I'll have a guaranteed healer/buffer/debuffer