Skip to content

Must-have BG2EE 1.3 mods for first playthrough?

NervaNerva Member Posts: 133
I'm about to re-start my BG2EE game after the 1.3 patch came out, and I'd like to get a list of essential mods that don't change the vanilla flavor of the game, but just fix whatever remaining glitches there are after the 1.3 patch, and improve the fidelity of the game to the AD&D rules.

I'm very interested in the Ascension mod made for the original BG2 ToB, since it sounds like a "director's cut" of ToB that makes it the climactic challenge it should have been in the first place. From what I can tell, it is only available as part of the "Big Picture" mod for BG2EE -- is that correct?

Are there a few other mods that have a consensus in this forum as being good tweaks that polish the vanilla game without changing the core experience for a first-time playthrough?

Comments

• NervaNerva Member Posts: 133
    Anyone? I'd like to start my new game soon.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited April 2015
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    Hey, @Nerva , you can check the OP here: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/23726/bgii-ee-compatible-mod-list/p1. It covers the compatible mods. From there, try to read the mods' descriptions and choose yourself.

Besides @subtledoctor 's answer you can check similar threads: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/38993/which-bg2ee-mods-for-a-first-time-modder#latest

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/40282/new-to-forum-best-mods-to-use-for-bg-ee-1-2#latest, especially @Darkersun 's answer there
  • KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    Here's the list of mods I would recommend for a first playthrough:

• KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    In all seriousness, the rules are pretty faithful to 2nd edition AD&D. There have been PnP campaigns with modest houseruling that have changed more rules than the BG series does.
    edited May 2015
    I only have time to play-through the game ONCE, so basically I am looking for an "ultimate vanilla" experience. I get what people are saying about my first game should be completely stock, but there are two areas where I think mods can still be the better way to go:

1) Mods focused on bug-fixes. I finally finished BG1 (not EE) a year ago (played it a lot when it first came out but never finished it) and I used the ubiquitous DudleyFixes and one or two other tweak packs that fixed dialog errors, incorrect spell parameters, etc. For using it with BG2EE, I imported my pre-final battle save into BG1EE, finished it there a second time, and exported that save to BG2EE (I found BG2EE has problems importing directly from BG1).

2) The Ascension mod. I have read about how ToB was rushed to make a Christmas release and the programmers were forced to cut stuff and there wasn't enough time to tune the play-balance -- hence ToB was considered a letdown because it was easy instead of epic. Ascension is basically the "director's cut" of ToB -- an original programmer went back, completed the missing bits, and gave it the challenging boss battles that are actually satisfying. I can think of no reason to play the "theatrical cut" instead of the "director's cut". Again, I only have the time to play this ONCE, so I want to play the most perfect version of the game.

I have read, however, that porting Ascension to EE has yet to be done as a stand-alone mod, and it exists only as part of the "Big Picture" mod? What are people's thoughts on that mod?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    What's your take on Unfinished Business?

Basically, I'm not looking for new fan-generated content, I just want the game to be "completely finished" with all the bugs fixed, open loops closed, plot threads nicely tied up, etc.
  • brunardobrunardo Member Posts: 526
    adding any mods, even BP - ascension may cause some glitches...TOB is also not that long so you could play it one time then try adding ascension for a quick playthrough. Mods do enhance the game but have to know which ones you like and probably best to give one playthrough unmodded...I did do "allow" multi romance mod as didnt have the time to do each one individually and get alot more story/roleplay from it through one or two playthroughs
  • GreenWarlockGreenWarlock Member Posts: 1,354
    I would ask why you think mods are essential to your experience? The 'vanilla' game is quite excellent, and adding mods of any kind changes the balance and flavor, for better or worse. If you want the 'Baldur's Gate' experience, and have time for only one play through, I would still recommend the un-modded EE editions as the way to go. The EEs integrate the essential mods for a modern system, such as support for modern operating systems and larger screen resolutions. They also tip the balance and flavor a little with some new items (making the game easier) and new NPCs (which have a different flavor) but on the whole, I think are a net positive on the game.

There are many mod enthusiasts around here who, having embarked down that path, lose sight of how enjoyable the original game is - especially for someone who is not a seasoned veteran of the game.

I have been playing on and off since the original game was first released, and other than the screen-resolution mods, the only content-mods I played with significantly degraded the experience for me (despite being highly rated) so I stopped trying. For a one-and-only play through, my preference would be distinctly the unmodded game. I suspect that after you play through once though, you may find you want to make the time for a second play through, and you can ask better about appropriate mods without fear of spoilers.
    I may not have been clear when I said I wanted no "new fan-generated content". By that I didn't mean I didn't want any mods that were the product of players -- pretty much all mods aren't from the developers. What I meant was I didn't want new material created out of whole cloth with no connection to the original game or its developers, such as new NPC's, new items, new quests, new romances -- unless they were buried, incomplete, in the original game files and "finished" by players. I would hope that mods such as UB would pick and choose only the best candidates to "finish". I also remember from playing BG1 there were some plots and quests that were broken, dead-ends, or where the dialog didn't properly connect the dots, and these were fixed by players -- they didn't invent new quests, they just made the existing ones work properly or make more sense. THAT'S what I would consider "ESSENTIAL MODS".

I'd also like to upgrade the combat AI for both the enemies and the party. From what I've gathered, the best enemy-AI mod is SCS, and the best party AI scripts are BP Scripts. However, I have read that the 1.3 patch upgraded the AI, so I am curious if there are conflicts or problems between the new 1.3 AI and the AI mods out there.
    edited May 2015

I think IR and SR are indispensable. If you only have time for one playthrough, I would literally wait a couple months until they're out of beta. I'm not kidding.

Rogue Rebalancing and some components from aTweaks are pure improvement. Unlike almost every other mod, there is no trade-off, no "some people like them, others dislike them." I recommend them unreservedly.

When do you expect IR and SR to be released for BG2EE?

Stuff like Rogue Rebalancing and aTweaks are also the sort of mods I'd consider essential and used on my BG1 game -- they're mods that improve the fidelity of the game to the PnP version. But they seem to be for the original BG series, not the EE series, and I'm curious how necessary or compatible they are with BG2EE 1.3.
    Post edited by Nerva on
    This isn't meant as criticism or being ungrateful, but I am curious why on earth it would take so long to do the RR/IR/SR mods, given that the underlying BG2/ToB is 15 years old, and I would have thought that a huge amount of that sort of modding work would already have been done on the classic game, with only minor updates needed for EE.
  • DemivrgvsDemivrgvs Member Posts: 315
    edited May 2015
    Nerva said:

This isn't meant as criticism or being ungrateful, but I am curious why on earth it would take so long to do the RR/IR/SR mods, given that the underlying BG2/ToB is 15 years old, and I would have thought that a huge amount of that sort of modding work would already have been done on the classic game, with only minor updates needed for EE.

@Nerva Because the mods author (aka me) is a bi**h! :D Jokes aside, the reasons are many:
    - I'm kinda fast once I know what to do, but I tend to spend AGES planning
    - my real life leaves me very little time and my deadlines are always f***ed by some unexpected accident
    - the new builds are not "minor updates" but HUGE updates
    - EE made my modding life harder rather than easier
    - etc.

Anyway, if you wish to play with those mods, V4s are already fully compatible with EE games. I can give you access to the current builds. They are not ready for an official release because, among my many flaws, I am a perfectinist, but hundreds of players are playing these supposed "betas" and can tell you they are in great shape. ;)

Post edited by Demivrgvs on
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited May 2015
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Demivrgvs said:

Anyway, if you wish to play with those mods, V4s are already fully compatible with EE games. I can give you access to the current builds. They are not ready for an official release because, among my many flaws, I am a perfectinist, but hundreds of players are playing these supposed "betas" and can tell you they are in great shape. ;)

I'd like access to the betas, but I am curious, if I start a game with beta mods, can I upgrade the mods later on without breaking my savegames?