Skip to content

Has anyone played the game "Blackguards"?

SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,579

I received a notice that GOG was having a sale on a bunch of its games, including one called "Blackguards." I was enticed to look into the game because of its name (I thought that it might have a connection to D&D). I watched a few "Let's Play" videos on YT and was intrigued. It appears to use a turn-based combat system that is something of a cross between Temple of EE and Heroes of M&M. The way that the story unfolds also looks interesting as well, although I haven't looked too much into that in order to avoid spoilers. My one concern at this point is that the skills-system might be a bit too complicated for my liking.

Has anyone here played the game, and what were your thoughts on it?

Comments

• KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    While it is not the best cRPG of The Dark Eye franchise (an German tabletop PnP quite similar to D&D), the game boasts with some fine black humour.
  • SapphireIce101SapphireIce101 Member Posts: 866
    edited May 2015
    Blackguards is kind of an interesting game. The skill system isn't really that complicated. It's basically, save up points to raise up some skills, then save up more points, and pick an ability, or more skills. Choice is yours, really.

From what I understand though, Blackguards 2 dumbs this down quite a bit, but I wouldn't know, I don't have Blackguards 2.
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    Tried it, got bored of it very quickly. Haven't tried it again.
  • ronaldoronaldo Member Posts: 263
    I bought it on GOG a few months ago. I only played a few hours though because of frequent crashes when on the world map. I couldn't find a fix so just gave up on it.
    I played the demo on Steam and had no problems with crashes....weird.

If you have Steam I would recommend trying the demo first then buy it on GOG if you like it.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    There was this thread earlier with some comments http://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/29476/blackguards-demo
  • OneAngryMushroomOneAngryMushroom Member Posts: 564
    You're probably not going to like if you don't like slow paced every-move-counts TRPG. Even worse if you don't like spending an hour or two planning out each level up. I however, am a munchkining bastard and I love it.
    Kamigoroshilolien
  • QbertQbert Member Posts: 195
    I bought the game during the sale you mention. I'm stuck at the cadrim valley quest where you have to fight the dwarves. Those guys are really tough. I tried the expert mode character creation but I was not really sure what i was doing, so I may have gimped my character.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    Just from watching the video it looks very much like 'lead you by the nose' type of game. I'd bet it has a relatively short shelf life and I bet you can get jammed up quickly if you don't know what you are doing. But hey, it depends on if that is your style of game or not and how much it actually costs.

Wouldn't be my thing.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    I played the demo on a Macbook Air (with no mouse), and it kept asking me to Right-Click things.

I'd be interested to know if the full version has that same problem, but that turned me off pretty quickly.
  • QbertQbert Member Posts: 195
    Yes i would call it much more of a tactical turn based fighting game than an RPG. It reminds me of the heroes of might and magic series, if you're familiar with those.

I have a mouse that can right click on my mac so it's not a problem for me, but I don't recall an option to ctrl click instead, and there is no other hotkey for it listed in the manual, so I would say no, unfortunately.