Skip to content

resolution, and features

arnagatharnagath Member Posts: 3
edited July 2012 in Android (Archive)
First of: Great job love the initiative. I am buying a tablet just for this game.

Secondly:
In the description of the android version of the game the features are listed as follows:
New Adventure: The Black Pits
New Character: Dorn Il-Khan as an in-app purchase
New Character: Neera the Wild Mage as an in-app purchase
New Character: Rasaad yn Bashir
New Player Voice sets as an in-app purchase
New Player Portraits as an in-app purchase
Multiplayer support between all platforms

In the PC version of the game however the features are listed as:
New Adventure: The Black Pits
New Character: Dorn Il-Khan
New Character: Neera the Wild Mage
New Character: Rasaad yn Bashir
A new collection of player character voice sets
Native support for high resolution widescreen displays
Over 400 improvements to the original game
Improved multiplayer support, with connectivity between all platforms

what this tells me is that the 400 improvements is only done for the PC version of the game. Is this so?

Also, what resolutions will be available for the android platform?

Comments

• SystemsSystems Member Posts: 3
    I think it's just bad wording. There wasn't a previous version for android so how could there be improvements to it?

Also notice that the extra stuff is an in-app purchase for Android but is included in the price for PC. Let's hope the pricing is comparable. They've probably done it this way to keep the main app price down to appeal to more players who don't even want that extra stuff they want it "pure".
  • AntonAnton Member, Moderator, Mobile Tester Posts: 513
    edited July 2012
    The only thing that bothers me so far is "Release TBA". Hope is will be sooner than later :)
    No matter what, I am very grateful to @TrentOster & Co for such a great news. You rock guys!
  • Twilight_FoxTwilight_Fox Member Posts: 448
    Agree, also thinking about buying a tablet for bg1, bg2 (and in my greatest dreams iwd1, iwd2 ^^).
  • diggerbdiggerb Member Posts: 132
    Actually, I ran out and bought an Android tablet (Galaxy Tab 10.1) the same day I heard that they were considering Android development. Looks like my gamble will pay off.
  • lordkimlordkim Member Posts: 1,063
    Actually i pre-ordered 2 games to pc. Im buying an Imac, and installing windows on it. Dont say im not versatile :P
  • FillaFillasonFillaFillason Member Posts: 110

Agree, also thinking about buying a tablet for bg1, bg2 (and in my greatest dreams iwd1, iwd2 ^^).

Did you like Icewind dale as mutch? I find it so irritating that you had to create a hole party and hasn't given iwd2 a try yet, think I should? Is it a good story? Also I hated Iwd1 because it was so "locked", not sure of the word to use but I gues you understand me ;-) Almost felt like Diablo in 3e d&d,hehe

• arnagatharnagath Member Posts: 3
    I agree icewind dale is problematic because one of the nice things about BG are the characters that join your party. In icewind dale you do not get any MInsc and boo's.
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    @FillaFillason

IWD2 is pretty much just as linear as IWD1. I'd say that the story is ok, but you have no NPCs to pick up like in the BG games.

The IWD games are more about enjoying the combat system.
  • PetriWessmanPetriWessman Member Posts: 3
    I'm also considering getting an Android tablet largely because of this. I already have an Android phone and am loving it, so a larger device which can run my current apps and games *and* BGEE would be awesome. So am also very interested in hearing about device requirements for this, once they are finalized. I'd assume that all you'd need is screen size comparable to an old-gen iPad and decent horsepower, but who knows.
  • ShadowWolfShadowWolf Member Posts: 33
    i got the nexus 7 and am hoping to run it off there
  • Ezzaam4FutbolEzzaam4Futbol Member Posts: 72
    @ShadowWolf ... Omg Im thinking about getting the nexus 7. It's not too expensive...
  • PetriWessmanPetriWessman Member Posts: 3
    Hmm, not sure if the 7" screel is big enough to play BG on without text and details becoming to small. Maybe it is. *If* BGEE works ok on a Nexus 7, that would provide a nice, low-cost platform.
    Hummmm... Shadow you should try GemRB with the BG2 demo and give us the impression... if its enough big...
  • MolanMolan Member Posts: 10
    I play BG1 on my HTC Evo 3D phone (using GemRB) and it is really playable with 4,3 inches screen and a stretched 640x480 resolution. Too bad the game crashes from time to time and not every feature is working as well as it should, but it's still an awesome experience to play beloved game on my smartphone. I wish BG:EE was available not only for tablets, but phones as well...

BTW: the main problem playing Baldur's Gate with a touchscreen is scrolling the gameworld, which is really hard. I'm forced to double tap the screen to center it. How is this issue going to be solved in the BG:EE version?
    @Molan... +1 for the scrolling. If they take the chance to sell it for Android... im pretty sure they found a way to counter that shitty scrolling...
  • PaladynPaladyn Member Posts: 23
    arnagath said:

what this tells me is that the 400 improvements is only done for the PC version of the game. Is this so?

I thin they are already included. As Android port is variant of enhaced edition, there was no need to mention improvemnts. There were no improvements to previous version, because there was no previous version.

• NathanNathan Member Posts: 1,007
    We're looking at the Nexus 7 as the smallest formfactor we'll support at the moment. This is not a promise, of course, but I can tell you that we're looking into it.
  • NathanNathan Member Posts: 1,007
    Molan said:

scrolling the gameworld, which is really hard. I'm forced to double tap the screen to center it.

We're not using the GemRB project's implementation, we have our own touchscreen scheme set-up. Currently we have a tap and drag to scroll the screen, just like how you tap and drag around an image or PDF file.
    I'll try gemrbb and let you know it would be really cool to play on this tablet so thanks for the support
  • diggerbdiggerb Member Posts: 132
    Nathan said:

We're not using the GemRB project's implementation, we have our own touchscreen scheme set-up. Currently we have a tap and drag to scroll the screen, just like how you tap and drag around an image or PDF file.

Best news ever. IMHO GemRB was clunky and not worth the effort of installing. Glad you guys decided to take a different path.
    well i got the game started but couldnt create a character due to the lack of a keyboard, in any case im just gonna remove it
  • JulyDerekJulyDerek Member Posts: 3
    Please consider the smallest form factor as the Galaxy Note 2. It's going to be a 5.5 inch screen.
  • specter597specter597 Member Posts: 16
    I have to ask, why go with the in-app purchase hook for Android? I always feel dirty or cheated when I get hit with those.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    edited August 2012
    @specter597

I think the answer is quite simple. The mobile market is flooded with software in the 0,99-1,99 price range. If they introduced the game at the same US$20,00 they charge for the OSx/Windows versions, they'd see very low sales.

Besides, with the DLCs, the Andoid/iOS versions will cost exactly the same as the Windows/OSX versions, with the same features, so I see no reason to feel cheated.
  • shadowstriker85shadowstriker85 Member Posts: 14
    I seem to recall them saying something about how, when purchasing the stuff in-app, the price of the two new NPCs, the portraits, and vocals all come up to the same $20 for PC. If that is the case, it may be cheaper if you only want the NPCs like me. New portraits and character voices don't matter much to me.
  • specter597specter597 Member Posts: 16
    That all makes sense.
  • SolyarisSolyaris Member Posts: 24
    JulyDerek said:

Please consider the smallest form factor as the Galaxy Note 2. It's going to be a 5.5 inch screen.

that's closer to the phone side of the spectrum than the tablet side...