Skip to content

What do you think of the new NPCs for the Enhanced Edition? What Race/Class would you have added?

HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,644
edited September 2012 in Archive (General Discussion)
Gotta admit - Super stoked about the Enhanced Edition, but I wouldn't be me if I didn't complain about something! Where's the third NPC? There's three alignments (Good, Neutral, Evil). How come we don't maintain the balance?

I like the idea of a Monk and a Half-Orc, but I was hoping maybe to finally get a *good aligned* Gnome! Maybe a Fighter/Illusionist? There aren't really any Fighter/Mage types among the NPC mix. Additionally, a Half-Orc named Dorn? That's a Dwarf name last time I checked! (See Dorn's Deep). Ah well. I'm more happy that the game is out. I just wanted to see what folks thought.

Comments

• KholdstareKholdstare Member Posts: 160
    I am very happy with the new character selection. Rasaad is looking like he'll be one of my favorite comrades already. I might get Neera, but I'm hoping it's not a suicidal choice. I'll have to save Dorn for an evil game. :)

As for what I would have added, I'd say pretty much the same thing you wanted out of a good Gnome.
  • HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,644
    I was also kind of hoping for a Neutral Fighter-Type, since that seems to be what Neutral Alignments are lacking... A Lawful Neutral Flaming Fist member for example... or something similar. Eh maybe that's boring :P I agree that Rasaad seems pretty cool... Monk-Power!
  • FaranorFaranor Member Posts: 10
    gnomes=ugly halflings
  • CCarluNNCCarluNN Member Posts: 200
    A good aligned gnome would have been my choice for a fourth NPC in BGEE. Gnomes with personalities like Oswald Fiddlebender and Maralie (from IWD2) are lovely and definitely welcome in my party.
  • kiroskiros Member Posts: 119
    Would love to see a new monk npc complete with new portrait and voice. Perhapse for BG2EE ;)
  • eainterplayeainterplay Member Posts: 55
    I would like to see a barbian party member and maybe an archer or a cleric kit (priest of Talos).
  • The_New_RomanceThe_New_Romance Member Posts: 839
    Barbarians would be cool. Maybe an Elf Barbarian, like those guys at Elfharrow in the 4E Forgotten Realms, that would be interesting.
  • sandmanCCLsandmanCCL Member Posts: 1,389
    I think it sucks I'm going to have to pay more money to access two of the three announced new heroes. Was kind of hoping my $20 bucks would cover it. And it's the two NPCs I'm fairly sure I'd be more likely to play with.

Can't say I'm looking forward to Rasaad for BG1 at least. Monks with 161k XP are still one level away from being legitimately useful. As is, he'll just be a gimp fighter the entire game long with the occasional stunning blow added into the mix. If they add in some monk-only loot that will actually make him feel legitimately different from any other beefy fighter type, then I'll be happy.

Not to say I don't look forward to seeing how his personality plays out especially because Overhaul has hinted all of their new NPCs are going to be included in the eventual BG2:EE. He'll be awesome in that.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    @sandmanCCL
    What are you talking about? $20 gets you the full game with all three NPCs.

As for the monk, I believe I have heard they're looking at rebalancing it to be more useful in early levels.
    Only Rasaad is packaged with the game. Neera and Dorn will be DLC. Don't know if you have to pay for it or not.

Wish I could find where this is confirmed, but I know for fact Neera and Dorn are DLC.
    edited September 2012
    @sandmanCCL

You're thinking of the tablet versions for $10.

With the PC version for $20, you get all three NPCs.
  • KharasKharas Member Posts: 150
    More Female Dwarfs!!!!!

Nothing sexier than a stout dwarf woman in full plate and a battle axe!!!
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    Well, Monk and Wild Mage have always been kits I'm curious about but found too strange and 'risky' to try out as my main character (Monk because of frailness at low levels, for a warrior type, and wild mage because of it's unpredictability), so Overhaul did get it just right with Rasaad and Neira in my opinion.
  • KosonKoson Member Posts: 284
    Monk / wild mage / blackguard are all classes/kits missing from the NPC roster so they're a welcome addition.
    I'd have liked a female dwarf barbarian added to the mix, and maybe one or two other NPCs from less used/popular kits who would compensate through their personality & quests their kit's (perceived) weaknesses, but I don't think we'll get that many new characters. Who knows, we might get a 4th NPC later on as a DLC, would be nice.
  • Jedi_GnomeJedi_Gnome Member Posts: 92
    I'm interested in Neera, but it would have been nice to have a female gnome.
  • JaxsbudgieJaxsbudgie Member Posts: 600
    A kitted thief. You can never have too many thieves in BG1. Never.
  • WardWard Member Posts: 1,305
    I am not amazed by the new characters, but I didn't buy it for those.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    edited September 2012
    I won't use the blackguard because I always play good. I won't use the monk because the class is underpowered in BG1 levels. (Another case of a class custom-designed for SoA levels.)

The most promising one sounds like Neera, but I won't use her either unless I want to do a crazy run on a lark. Did you guys know that the wild mage random table includes goodies like Gate:Demon and Petrify Self? As well as spell fizzles and Summon Bunny Rabbit Swarm.

It plays well for comedy, but I just can't see risking my whole party's lives on a wild mage in a run where I'm going to try to get immersed and take everything seriously. Magic is too dangerous and too important in the game to not be absolutlely in control of what you're doing with it. That is, unless you don't care about dying and reloading a lot.

edit - didn't see the second part of the question. BG1 desperately needs a good-aligned npc cleric. As is, the PC is under high pressure to be the cleric of the party him or herself, at least if he or she is good. And there needs to be a really good-looking, handsome, man for females to romance. And at least a couple of dwarf/gnome options. Kudos to them for putting in a half-orc option for people who swing that way. Presumably he's into other half-orcs.
    edited September 2012
    @belgarathmth

Why not just use Neutral clerics like Branwen?

Also, Overhaul folks have mentioned they're working on re-balancing the Monk so it is a more attractive BG1 class.
  • DragonserpentDragonserpent Member Posts: 15
    Faranor said:

gnomes=ugly halflings

*snaps fingers* So THAT'S why they have such a fascination with illusion magic!
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    I like the three new NPCs they're giving us. At least from the looks of their descriptions and portraits. But eventually I'd appreciate having another healer available via DLC.

There are relatively few healers in BG1. Early on you have only Jaheira availlable, and a little later you can choose Branwen or Viconia. But anyway, it would be nice to have another healer of some sort to choose from early in the game.
  • MetaSiegMetaSieg Member Posts: 26
    I like the new NPCs but a dwarf/gnome/halfling that you could have a romance with would have been nice.
    Would be nice if there was a fighter/mage. It's currently the only multi-class not represented in the entire saga.

I guess you can dual-class Sarevok into Mage if you want but won't regain his fighter abilities til the Throne of Ascension.
  • alannahsmithalannahsmith Member Posts: 143
    I haven't played BG1 as much as many people on this forum have. But I think that BG1 already has a good assortment of NPCs to choose from. Don't get me wrong there will always be something left to be desired, and the new NPCs look interesting. But in my opinion: BG2 is the game that needs more diverse NPCs. Duel classing is one of my biggest pet-peeves, I don't mind multi-class but duel class when you don't have good enough thieving points to unlock a chest at the beginning of the game? Come on!

That's my rant. Thank you for your time. :)
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    They made three unique options with these new guys which I like. Granted, they could have gone with sorcerer, barbarian and monk instead, but where's the fun in that?

If I had to pick... I would definitely go with a thief, cleric, fighter/mage, avenger. DAMMIT I CAN'T CHOSE! D:
  • TheudipaldTheudipald Member Posts: 30
    Part of me always resented BioWare for reducing many of the evil NPCs to comic relief, but now when seeing Dorn described as "unapologetically evil" I am, for once, half-way expecting a character right up my alley. Remains to be seen how he turns out though. As I'm already picturing a character almost on par with Judge Holden, chances are I'm in for a disappointment.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653

@belgarathmth

Also, Overhaul folks have mentioned they're working on re-balancing the Monk so it is a more attractive BG1 class.

@Schneidend, well, yes, I usually wind up using Branwen if I don't play the cleric myself. The thing is, I like to romance males, so I want a handsome male cleric. I usually use Berelinde's Gavin to serve that purpose, so I guess I could hope that Berelinde will make whatever adaptations are needed to make him compatible with BG:EE.

On your other point, if they make the monk class viable at low level, I might give him a try. I just wish they hadn't created such a butt-ugly portrait for the guy. Come on, tatoos all over his face? Does any woman or gay guy out there want to pursue a romance with a guy who's bald and has tatoos and scars? Even if so, I myself am not into ugly men.

I suppose I might be able to stomach a relationship with him if I can still create a portraits folder and substitute my own portraits for NPC's - which would require Shadowkeeper unless I can figure out how to use the override folder to replace an NPC portrait.

Hopefully Shadowkeeper will be compatible.
  • KholdstareKholdstare Member Posts: 160

@belgarathmth

@Schneidend, well, yes, I usually wind up using Branwen if I don't play the cleric myself. The thing is, I like to romance males, so I want a handsome male cleric. I usually use Berelinde's Gavin to serve that purpose, so I guess I could hope that Berelinde will make whatever adaptations are needed to make him compatible with BG:EE.

On your other point, if they make the monk class viable at low level, I might give him a try. I just wish they hadn't created such a butt-ugly portrait for the guy. Come on, tatoos all over his face? Does any woman or gay guy out there want to pursue a romance with a guy who's bald and has tatoos and scars? Even if so, I myself am not into ugly men.

I suppose I might be able to stomach a relationship with him if I can still create a portraits folder and substitute my own portraits for NPC's - which would require Shadowkeeper unless I can figure out how to use the override folder to replace an NPC portrait.

Hopefully Shadowkeeper will be compatible.
    I am a gay guy and I find Rasaad handsome. To each his/her own, I suppose.
  • cmorgancmorgan Member Posts: 707
    Mod-added NPC that most likely will be able to make it into the BG:EE game within a reasonable timeframe (for a mod):

http://www.pocketplane.net/mambo/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=134&Itemid=94

Finch is a neutral good, gnome cleric of Deneir.

Indira is a half-elven, lawful good fighter/mage to be found in the Firewine Ruins.

Mur'Neth is a Ghaunadan, a member of a race of ooze-like shapechangers who venerate the evil deity Ghaunadaur.

http://www.gibberlings3.net/gavin/

Gavin, Cleric of Lathander.