Skip to content

Phishing call from "MicroSoft security services" game, beat my hi-score! (string along for score)

AdsoAdso Member Posts: 122
edited June 2015 in Off-Topic
Ok, beat my high score! I just finished with the usual call from Indian-accented "Microsoft Security services" at 5:20:40 and was able to string them along until 5:40:02. I still haven't beat a friend's ~35 min hi-score though. It is *vital* that no one laughs or the gig is up.

FYI: these are the scammers who trick people into giving remote access to their computer, stealing financial info, etc. Thankfully I only know of one (a neighbor) who fell for it, necessitating cancelling all bank accounts, cards, etc, wiping his PC, etc. I could even here the scammer carrying on multiple scripted calls in the background looking for marks.

recap:
I gained >5 min at the start from feigning me having an old Win XP PC tower that takes forever to boot.
@5:29:30 transferred to an English fluent gal (this made the "I can't understand" tactic much less effective/believable
@5:36p I was transferred to their "security dept," easily fluent as above and has a higher INT score), this fellow suspected something, asked if I was a technician (I fibbed and said "oil change tech" instead of IT tech, *never* say you're an IT person, play dumb)

For a good chance at an expected round 2 (instead of randomly when I'm leaving, etc) I feigned that another paid the internet bill so he'll call back in a bit. Risky strategy, but we'll see.

key bits scoring strategies:
-"don't understand" as much as *believably* possible, can feign being hard of hearing, or a non-computer literate senior (the latter is gold for this, perfect bait for them)
-feign "not having reading glasses on" to draw out repeating things they want you to type (I just typed on a text edit doc for a play-along record)
-additional string out tactics, eventually feign internet oddness, rebooting router, modem, loose cable etc, but it's all a balance act. If they think they are being had (like fish) they'll cut the call. Or I think if thing are taking too long, even if believable. If they think they have a chance, they'll stick to you.

if you can get them to start swearing at you without insulting them, that's a bonus.

Good luck folks!
Post edited by Adso on

Comments

• SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438
    This sounds like one of those games you'd rent over the weekend because an interesting game isn't available and you're at the video store anyways, so why not?, play for a couple of minutes before saying "To hell with it!", and then shelf until it came time to return it to the video store.
    And, I don't know, the antagonists sound more sympathetic than the protagonist.
  • MusignyMusigny Member Posts: 1,027
    Meanwhile folks with real security issues are waiting for help and solutions from a service that is downgraded by retarded jokers.
  • AdsoAdso Member Posts: 122
    edited June 2015
    Musigny said:

Meanwhile folks with real security issues are waiting for help and solutions from a service that is downgraded by retarded jokers.

Folks with real computer security issues need to get in-person help if needed from a knowledgeable friend/relative, professional etc. *Never* from an unsolicited phone call which is 99.999% of the time a phishing scam.
    Post edited by Adso on
  • MusignyMusigny Member Posts: 1,027
    Not exactly. It is not who calls who that matters much, it is what is requested. For instance a real financial service contacting one of its clients is not so rare.
    That's the reason why such phising scams are so popular.