Skip to content

Gameplay Issue: Casting a spell and switching characters.

Hello.

I am playing a Totemic Druid and if I use my special summon ability it starts a brief casting. After that casting I'm presented with the 4 animals I'm able to summon. If at this point, whether paused or in real time, I switch characters, those animal selection buttons disappear and it's as if my spell is completely gone.

This also occurs with Neera if she casts Reckless Dweomer. She casts Dweomer, I switch characters, and come back to her to find the option of spell selections to be completely gone.

I've completed Baldur's Gate I and II multiple times. I can't recall if this is a gameplay issue that existed in either of the original games or is new to the EE iteration. They're old games and I may be expecting certain streamlined gameplay aspects, but I always recall switching between characters multiple times to find the optimum strategy. Has anyone else experienced this? I did some google searching but couldn't find anything immediately relevant but I'm not sure what common keywords would be relevant for this issue. This issue is quickly determining whether I'll be able to play through EE or not.

Thanks.

Comments

• Rakkon von RowanRakkon von Rowan Member Posts: 2
    I just tested this also: If I click the summon animal ability and am presented with the 4 animal options and then go to inventory. Once back into the gameplay screen, the buttons are gone.
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    edited May 2015
    It's not just you. This also happens with Nahal's Reckless Dweomer in the original BGII. (The original Summon Spirit Animal gave you a random type.) Unfortunately, the only workaround is to avoid switching screens or characters before choosing an animal.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    Also will happen with spell immunity and enchanted weapons spells. They all open up a little sub menu for you to choose when you cast.
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    I noticed the same issue but I don't find it a big problem as there is no casting animation before that sub menu pops up so just have to unpause the game for a split second to choose your option and then switch characters.

Just have to remember the correct order to do things.
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    I've experienced this and do just as @Wowo says. I'm normally quite frantic in my in-battle micromanagement, so I really had to focus on not switching chars in between casting and choosing.