Skip to content

Gorf the Squisher: the quest that just won't work

I'm a very experienced BG2 player, and I think there's only one quest I've never been able to complete: Gorf the Squisher.

With BG2EE, I think I've encountered a new way for it to go wrong. I can play it up to the point when Gorf should finally appear, with or without using the potion, after talking to his girlfriend, but then.... he just doesn't show up. Nothing whatsoever happens after his girlfriend says "Oh, here he comes now!" or whatever the exact line is.

This is mightily annoying. Anyone seen this one?

Comments

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited April 2014
    Yea he typically appears inside of the pit (the very small fighting area you can fight that random guy early in the game), which you can't access without ctrl-j. Even then going into it isn't a guarantee that you can start a conversation with him.
  • xzar_montyxzar_monty Member Posts: 631
    Oh dear. I suppose I'll have to forget about that quest, then.

Inside of the pit?! For crying out loud.
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    Just use the auto save when you walk into Copper Coronet and talk to her again. This is what i'll do until he appears.
    I already tried it twice. How long is your "until", generally?

I already tried it twice. How long is your "until", generally?

3-4 tries tops. Just make sure when you talk to her, all your party members are standing close to her and you're talking to her with CHARNAME.
    @SionIV: Thank you very much for that! It worked. I had always spoken to her with CHARNAME, but it appears that placing everyone close to her was the solution. How very odd.

But, again, thank you!
    elminsterjackjack

@SionIV: Thank you very much for that! It worked. I had always spoken to her with CHARNAME, but it appears that placing everyone close to her was the solution. How very odd.

But, again, thank you!

You're welcome. I think the Gorf might pick a random party member to appear close to, this could make him stuck places you can't reach him. So placing everyone around her should make him appear close by.
  • DregothofTyrDregothofTyr Member Posts: 229
    Gorf only appears at a specific time; it tells you either in dialogue or the quest journal. For me, he walked in from the back rooms. The quest seemed to work fine for me, so I can say that it definitely does work sometimes.
  • DelicoseDelicose Member Posts: 6
    That is strange. Placing everyone near Bunkin before talking to her does seem to work. However, if you've already spoken to her and have left the Copper Coronet (losing your auto-save) you can use the CLUAConsole to create a copy of Gorf. Try this:

1. If you still have it open, save your game and quit BG2:EE.
    2. Search your computer for the Baldur.ini file for your Baldur's Gate II - Enhanced Edition.
    3. Open file in a text editor (i.e. Notepad)
    4. Find where it says:

INSERT INTO options ROWS (
    5. Right after that, insert :

'Program Options', 'Debug Mode', '1',
    6. Save and quit.
    7. Reopen game and have your party is inside the Copper Coronet. Be sure to have your party stand away from the pit area to make sure that Gorf doesn't spawn inside it.
    8. Ctrl-Space to open CLUAConsole.
    9. In the field that opened, type:

CLUAConsole:CreateCreature("GORF")
    Your new copy of Gorf SHOULD spawn near your party and SHOULD initiate the lead up to fighting in the pit with Mazzy. However, the original Gorf is still around somewhere (back rooms, sewers).

Enjoy!

• LorosfyrLorosfyr Member Posts: 18
    I know that this is an old thread. But just did another playthrough recently and ran into the same problem again, with none of the above fixes working.

Found this on another website.
    CluaConsole:SetGlobal("GorfSurlyFight","AR0406",1)

Was so easy... worked immediately.

Just in case anybody else is still having problems!
    cognoscentusJuliusBorisov
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    I just use CTRL-Y. It's just easier. It's a small, shallow quest with a tiny XP reward. The fuss isn't worth it.