Skip to content

Spears, Halberds, Katana, and Schimtar role-playing match-ups?

NoloirNoloir Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 380
For the purposes of role playing what classes do these weapons correspond with?

Comments

• ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
    Katana goes with Kensai (much like a Samurai kit)
    Halberd and spear always felt like a paladin weapon to me , spear especially for cavalier.
    As for scimitar, I believe they best match Stalker
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    For roleplaying purposes? Hm. I'd say spears and halberds most correspond to vanilla fighters. The heavy armor and polearm combination is just iconic of a medieval foot soldier.

Katana correspond most clearly to kensai, both being Japanese in origin. The mystique surrounding it is also reminiscent of fighter/mage multies.

Scimitars are associated in D&D lore with druids, but in real life they're Middle Eastern. Leaving out druids, I'd say the association is strongest with swashbucklers, partially due to their whirling dervish themes, and partially because pirates were one of the few points of contact between the Middle East and Western Europe. Blades also work on the whirling dervish count, but I'd personally associate blades more strongly with daggers, given the weapon performers I've personally seen.
  • NoloirNoloir Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 380
    Interesting. In a nutshell, longer based weapons prove impracticable for extended travels. Neat video!
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    At some point I need to figure out a way to handle stuff like this in RPGs without it being a royal pain.
  • UlfhedinnUlfhedinn Member Posts: 19
    The spear can suit a valkyrie type character (to bad that spear/shield is not allowed).
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    edited June 2015
    Spears, Halberds, Katana, and Schimtar role-playing match-ups?

Disregarding FR lore, since I know little about it, and basing it on actual history I would say:
    Spears: Vanilla fighters and barbarians
    Halberds: Vanilla fighters or paladins (knights fighting on foot often used different kinds of polearms)
    Katana: Kensai and/or kensage or F/M (especially elves IMHO) <- Not based on actual history obviously :wink:
    Scimitar: Noone really since they are obviously middle eastern. I don't see the connection to druids or rangers at all since it doesn't really make sense, even if Drizzt have made the whole ranger using scimitars cookie cutter. I would say that a Blade might weild scimi's for the effect, they look cool and blades want to look cool and make an impression.

Edit: come to think of it, I guess fighters with a more oriental theme could very well be a good fit for scimitars as well.

Cheers/Skat.
    Post edited by Skatan on