Skip to content

Minsc's Rage

GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
How and when do you use it?

I find myself never using it when Minsc is in my party.

(1) You can't control him. So if he is wounded and a tactical retreat is necessary, he won't budge.
(2) He turns on the party! "Hey there Minsc. Hold still while I heal y-"
(3) He can't use potions while raged. Which, again, leads to unfortunate deaths.

I just find that a weak rage ability, with benefits that can be gained by abundant potions, and which has character killing downsides (not just meaning him!) leaves it to be almost* worthless.

So, what am I missing? Anyone here able to sell me on his ability?

* I say almost because I have used it in lieu of a healing potion before, thus giving him the HPs needed to not die.

Comments

• SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    I agree, I almost never use his rage. I play on core mostly, without SCS or similar mods, so I seldom need it to win a fight. Sometimes I use it just for RP reasons; when I RP and don't want Minsc in my party, I throw him into a fight, zerk him, and then afterwards put him down like a rabid dog with the rest of the party. It fits thematically in some parties/playthroughs.
  • xscott71xxscott71x Member Posts: 63
    I use EEKeeper and give him the Berserker enrage ability. All of the benefits of the ability, and none of the penalties.
  • HudzyHudzy Member Posts: 300
    I never really used the ability until I tried SCS last year for the first time. I found it useful against sirens. But then I hadn't used a lot of things until SCS.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    I used to use it versus tough, caster heavy groups. They hopefully waste some magic vs him, and my party could 'ptew!' happily from a diatance, usually to help kill any melee folks.

That said, he's not THAT durable vs melee unless he's equipped well, so its a bad choice vs tough melee foes. But magic groups can be made even easier imho. His Berserk is a minor buff, but can be used.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    I've hardly ever found Minsc's version of berserker rage worth using. Against Sirines it can be useful but (obviously) isn't the only way to defeat them, and against anyone except Sirines it tends to cause more trouble than it's worth.
  • ZaramMaldovarZaramMaldovar Member Posts: 2,309
    edited June 2015
    Minsc's Beserk Ability helps in Hexatt's first quest, where you must venture alone into the small tomb and face the ancient warrior. Cast Haste, have Minsc go in, drink a strength potion and go berserk and he slaughters the guy. Hands down. Then it wears off with nobody for him to attack...Profit