Skip to content

Aec'Letec' Death Gaze

DurothilDurothil Member Posts: 29
edited June 2015 in BG:EE Bugs (v1.3)
There is no protection against his gaze (all of my characters have one digit as their saves and were immune to petrification) and Dispel Magic never works on it.

Comments

• MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    Your best bets will probably be Scrolls of Protection from Magic and Potions of Mirrored Eyes. Remember, the potion protects from gaze attacks--in game mechanic terms this item grants you protection from projectile 64, gaze.pro, which Aec'Letec's gaze uses....at least, if I recall correctly, that is.
  • DurothilDurothil Member Posts: 29
    @Mathsorcerer Thanks for the suggestion but neither the scroll nor the potion works. Which is wrong, because the potion text clearly states protection from gaze attacks.

My best bet is to buff my toughest character and let him do all the work.
  • ChidojuanChidojuan Member Posts: 211
    Strange, it might be a bug with your install. Potions of Mirrored Eyes were always my go to for that battle. I always saved them for this fight, and never had any problems. The Mage spell Protection from Petrification used to work for this fight as well, unless it's been patched out. I think there are only 2 or so Protection from Magic scrolls in all of BG:EE, so you might have to use them on your best fighters, and have them occupy Aec'Letec, while everyone else takes out the cultists.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    Part of the confusion here is that hold, paralyze, and petrification are not the same. Petrification generally means something fatal and permanent, i.e. the gaze of a basilisk. While hold and paralyze are technically different in the engine, for the most part stuff that protects against one generally protects against the other.

Aec'Letec has a paralyzation attack; anything that protects against hold should block this. Death Gaze is blocked by the potion of mirrored eyes, being a gaze attack. Death Gaze paralyzes (anti-hold stuff protects against this) but also includes an instant death-component, which AFAICT isn't blocked by anything. After 30 seconds the victim chunks and becomes a ghast unless dispelled. Aec'Letec also spams silence and vampiric touch and LOVES to target (via spells or attacks) any disabled party member.

All of its abilities are subject to magic resistance, and all but Vampiric Touch have saving throws. Protection from Petrification does nothing against his paralyzation and gaze. You'd be best served loading up on potions of mirrored eyes to prevent Death Gaze, or at least loading up on dispel magic to remove it. Beyond that, items or spells that prevent/remove hold (i.e. free action) or increase magic resistance would be your next set of buffs.

http://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/296513/#Comment_296513
    Durothil said:

@Mathsorcerer Thanks for the suggestion but neither the scroll nor the potion works.

That is indeed wrong because the scroll gives you protection from spell levels, including Aec'Letec's innate ability at level 8. Are you running any mods?

Thanks for the replies!

I don't run any mod. I defeated him now but nothing suggested or logical/semantical (other) than Spell Resistance via Items worked for me, or so it seems.
    At least you defeated him--that is the important thing. My curiosity is still piqued, however. If you have Near Infinity, can you export tanar.cre and tanari.bcs, zip them, and upload them for others to examine? Perhaps something has happened with those files which caused your experience to be so different from ours.
    Thanks! Er... I didn't even knew what Near Infinity was before. I'll be away for some time now, maybe I'll check it out on my return. Anyway, thank you for your interest in this matter!